Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

fstab entry locking machine.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Munty Scruntfundle

fstab entry locking machine.

#1 Post by Munty Scruntfundle »

Hi there.

On a Debian node I have an SSD attached via Sata with a relevant entry in fstab. This all works fine.

But, if the drive//cable is removed the machine halts during the boot process. It kind find the drive, therefore it stops.

Is there a way to bypass this behaviour? If the drive isn't found bugger it and carry booting? I don't understand why the default would be to basically crash.

Many thanks.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: fstab entry locking machine.

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Add nofail to the options for the drive.

Or use x-systemd.automount instead, see systemd.{auto,}mount(5) for more on this.

EDIT:
Munty Scruntfundle wrote: I don't understand why the default would be to basically crash.
Because mounts specified in /etc/fstab are considered critical and there is a option for the behaviour you want.
deadbang

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by p.H »

AFAICS the automount feature is about automatic mounting on use, not on hotplug.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Yes, that's right but I think it will also stop the boot process from failing if the drive is not connected.

I mentioned the man pages so the OP can check if the extra features offered by the option are of any use.
deadbang