RAW photo thumbnails in Buster or newer

Share your own howto's etc. Not for support questions!

RAW photo thumbnails in Buster or newer

Postby grege » 2019-04-10 23:42

Traditionally RAW photo thumbnail files were created by the package gnome-raw-thumbnailer. Unfortunately this package is history and did suffer a few limitations. It is not in the Buster repos.

There is a solution that I think is actually better but must be created manually. It works for Nautilus and Thunar and probably all the other file managers. It will also work on any Linux distro.

1 Install ufraw

Code: Select all
apt-get install ufraw

2 Create a file called ufraw.thumbnailer in /usr/share/thumbnailers

3 add the following to /usr/share/thumbnailers/ufraw.thumbnailer

[Thumbnailer Entry]
Exec=/usr/bin/ufraw-batch --embedded-image --out-type=png --size=%s %u --overwrite --silent --output=%o
MimeType=image/x-3fr;image/x-adobe-dng;image/x-arw;image/x-bay;image/x-canon-cr2;image/x-canon-crw;image/x-cap;image/x-cr2;image/x-crw;image/x-dcr;image/x-dcraw;image/x-dcs;image/x-dng;image/x-drf;image/x-eip;image/x-erf;image/x-fff;image/x-fuji-raf;image/x-iiq;image/x-k25;image/x-kdc;image/x-mef;image/x-minolta-mrw;image/x-mos;image/x-mrw;image/x-nef;image/x-nikon-nef;image/x-nrw;image/x-olympus-orf;image/x-orf;image/x-panasonic-raw;image/x-pef;image/x-pentax-pef;image/x-ptx;image/x-pxn;image/x-r3d;image/x-raf;image/x-raw;image/x-rw2;image/x-rwl;image/x-rwz;image/x-sigma-x3f;image/x-sony-arw;image/x-sony-sr2;image/x-sony-srf;image/x-sr2;image/x-srf;image/x-x3f;image/x-panasonic-raw2;

Then you should find RAW thumbnails created when you click into the folder. Plus the thumbnails are better now eg rotated photos show rotated thumbnails.

I used this to source the solution even though it is a very old post.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/283072/ ... -photo-raw

It would seem a fairly simple task to create a deb file called ufraw-raw-thumbnailer.deb that does this and pulls ufraw as a dependency.
grege

Re: RAW photo thumbnails in Buster or newer

Postby Dai_trying » 2019-04-11 06:19

Have you tried tumbler? I had to manually install it to an OS I was using some time back to get thumbnail images but haven't tested it in Buster yet and I also don't use gnome which might make a difference...
Dai_trying

Postby GarryRicketson » 2019-04-11 13:14

I use a little script:
for file in *png; do
    new_file=`echo $file | sed 's/.png$//'`
    convert -resize 25% $file $new_file-tmb.png
done

Very simple really, change"png" to JPG or whatever image format it is.
modify as needed.
GarryRicketson

Postby grege » 2019-04-12 23:14

Dai_trying wrote:Have you tried tumbler? I had to manually install it to an OS I was using some time back to get thumbnail images but haven't tested it in Buster yet and I also don't use gnome which might make a difference...

Tumbler does not work for RAW photo files. Even with all the extra bits installed.
grege

Postby grege » 2019-04-12 23:19

GarryRicketson wrote:I use a little script:
for file in *png; do
    new_file=`echo $file | sed 's/.png$//'`
    convert -resize 25% $file $new_file-tmb.png
done

Very simple really, change"png" to JPG or whatever image format it is.
modify as needed.

Thanks. Interesting approach but that would take a bit of massaging to work with RAW files. The above just automates it when you click into a folder with Nautilus or Thunar.
grege

Postby GarryRicketson » 2019-04-12 23:52

Ooops, I wasn't paying attention, and did not think about the "raw", and yes it would take quiet a bit of modifying (massaging)
GarryRicketson

Return to Docs, Howtos, Tips & Tricks