Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Looking for a true Premier Pro alternative

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
jaytelford

Looking for a true Premier Pro alternative

#1 Post by jaytelford »

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a Premier Pro alternative that works on both Linux (Debian) and Mac OSX. I work between both systems, so need any software to be compatible with both. I would also prefer it if the software was free software (as in the Free Software Foundations interpretation of free) and not proprietary, although open source is also acceptable. I don't want proprietary software though unless there is no other way of getting a Premier Pro alternative on Debian.

Can any of you recommend something for me? - Preferably, something that you have experience with and which has an equivalent Premier Pro feature set

Thanks
Jay

jaytelford

Re: Looking for a true Premier Pro alternative

#3 Post by jaytelford »

Hi,

Thanks for those links, but I had already been there and looked. My problem is, I don't have any experience with the software mentioned in those lists, so I was looking for suggestions from people who had experience. From what I have read through, Kdenlive seems to be the closest true replacement for Premiere Pro.

Would that be correct?

Funkygoby

#5 Post by Funkygoby »

This question had already been discussed somewhere else. You might want to search for it, maybe you will get more infos.

One day I decided to do do a video clip. I had 2 camera footage and an audio recording of the same scene. My rig was a core2duo with 2Go RAM and I was doing 1080p so ...
I tried everything I could find under the sun. I remember very bad experiences with pitivi, openshot, cinesomething I am not sure I tried kdenlive. I don't remember the details, one was crashing, another didn't show the audio waveform properly (so no A/V sync possible), another was slow. Shitty experience, pretty much.

Then I saw someone using blender on youtube. Blender is similar to Maya, 3DSMax and its main purpose is 3D modeling/rendering but it also comes with a working, potent video editor. As I had played with it already I decided to explore the video editing module.
It is said that the interface is strange. I would say it is different but once it clicks, it is cool!
Given my limited, crappy, experience with other video editing tools I will obviously tell you that blender is superior to everything else.
You should be able to apply filters I guess. Blender is scriptable with Python also so if you want to automate things, this might be interesting.

In the end, I converted videos to 320p, did the editing using those for performance reasons. Before rendering, I just replaced the 320p folder with the 1080p one so blender managed to render my final file in 1080p. Success!

The only limitations I encountered was the poor cam job I had to deal with and my own creativity. You can find short movies entirely created from scratch with blender so I guess the video editing module is worth considering.

jaytelford

#6 Post by jaytelford »

Thanks, everyone for your replies. I will have a look at some of the ones you have all suggested and experiment with them. Though why Adobe doesn't let us install CC apps on Linux is beyond me.

Luna Moon

#7 Post by Luna Moon »

jaytelford wrote:Thanks, everyone for your replies. I will have a look at some of the ones you have all suggested and experiment with them. Though why Adobe doesn't let us install CC apps on Linux is beyond me.
Did you find an alternative yet? I would be interested in it as well and would like to hear your opinion.