Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

upgrade to Buster the moment its launched?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

yes yes yes right away because i can
41%
yes yes yes right away because i have sns(shiny new software) syndrome
5%
yes because the upgrade would solve, unsolvable issue with current stretch installation
11%
naah i wouldn't until LTS for stretch is over
5%
other - specified in comments
32%
naah i wouldn't vote but crap post commenting how this post or poll could be better
5%
naah i wouldn't until regular support for stretch is over
No votes

Total votes: 37

sickpig

#1 Post by sickpig »

i know i wouldn't as i have setup my system just the way i like it

edit
added option other to the poll
also i have just changed my wallpaper to buster rc1, for now am happy with just the wallpaper change
Last edited by sickpig on 2019-04-21 02:58, edited 1 time in total.

Innovate

Re: upgrade to Buster the moment its launched?

#2 Post by Innovate »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Who knows? I've bunch of new packages on Stretch that Buster doesn't have. Some Xfce utility still missing on Buster.
Also when lts come freshy it still lack of backport software repo.
It takes many days for backport repo form it's repo for next buster stable to be available.
I may always use latest stable distro & install latest stable packages.
But I won't run testing, sid like other shinny syndromers did anymore.
There're several ways to get latest stable package on stable channel debian like what you learnt from Steve.

But one things for sure Buster's packages is far newer than Ubuntu 18.04's repo since Ubuntu freeze packaging before Debian buster. :twisted:

No_windows

#3 Post by No_windows »

I voted "other". I will probably install Buster on whatever newer machine I get/build before it's actually released. I'd rather not upgrade, but just do a fresh install. I'm not going to install Stretch just to install Buster a few months later when it's formally released. Right now, I'm still running Jessie, as that was Stable when I got this machine....2015 I think.
Last edited by No_windows on 2019-04-22 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I've already upgraded to buster in my own laptop to try and catch any bugs and I've installed a fresh system in a spare partition on the family laptop to test the RC1 installer (and the Secure Boot support).

I usually take a snapshot of the current stable system and then boot into the snapshot and dist-upgrade that to testing at some point in the freeze and then get my family to test it. If it all seems to work then I set the snapshot as the default boot option but keep the old stable system available as an option.

We still have jessie as a boot option on the family laptop but we've never actually had to use it since moving to stretch.

Btrfs ftw! :mrgreen:
deadbang

Wheelerof4te

#5 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Where's the "nah, btw I use Arch" option?

Should have taken hints from Ubuntu :D
I switched to Arch only yesterday, don't hate me

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Wheelerof4te wrote:I switched to Arch only yesterday
Thanks for testing all the new software!
deadbang

sickpig

#7 Post by sickpig »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I usually take a snapshot of the current stable system and then boot into the snapshot and dist-upgrade
^ seems like the smart way to upgrade, I might follow suit when i am forced to upgrade, once they shut lts off for stretch.

my current knowledge level permits me to just tar the entire root fs and restore in case of a mess or untar on a different machine to get exact same copy of my system state. But learning about brtfs and snapshot seems like a good idea.

Well I have time and will to learn, what more do u need? :)

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

A full backup is better than a snapshot but it does take quite a bit longer, both to save and restore.

And snapshots only take up extra disk space if there are any differences from the original, which is nice.
deadbang

duffy

#9 Post by duffy »

I’ll wait to install to give Buster some maturity time. I have Stretch running with everything I currently need and use. But I’ll try to keep up to date on Buster advances and improvements.

Wheelerof4te

#10 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Thanks for testing all the new software!
I might still switch back to Debian once Buster is released. I don't like this new GNOME icon theme, looks amateurish.
And we all know icons are everything :mrgreen:

millpond

#11 Post by millpond »

I've been running testing/Sid and recently needed to get a program working that was very unstable. Even when compiled. So I went for newer libs, once thing led to another. And suddenly I have a centaur system. Without sound.

I do my updates from Synaptic, so over the past few days I have been 'upgrading' a few hundred at a time. Originally 6000.
I truly hate the default Gnome, and no DE options on the Plymouth screen.

Kernel 4.19.04 appears broken here. 4.19.01 works though. Still no sound. Pulled plymouth and GDM from init.d and have it boot to console where startx filrs up /usr/bin/mate-session (no longer mate).

It seems a little slower on this ancient Optiplex, and Firefox-esr is defintely suddenly unstable (though Torbrowser is not).

However my GTK program I needed is suddenly stable and working nicely.

Fortunately I do have a full backup of stretch if things really go south.

Wheelerof4te

#12 Post by Wheelerof4te »

millpond wrote:I've been running testing/Sid and recently needed to get a program working that was very unstable. Even when compiled. So I went for newer libs, once thing led to another. And suddenly I have a centaur system. Without sound.
How exactly did you "went for newer libs"? Might explain the breakage.
Either way, you aren't supposed to upgrade libs by hand. Let the OS do it for you.

Meanwhile, an update of my own. Yeah, I really hated those new icons, hopefully GNOME team discards them or improves them later. Untill then, I'm running Buster's 3.30.

millpond

#13 Post by millpond »

./configure told me I needed a newer version of, IIRC, a kde lib. Since I have buster/unstable(SID) in my sources.list, it was there for me to 'update'.

And one thing led to another.....

Having been a long time veteran of apt-get update/upgrades it has always been a nightmare experience here, as this has always been a *large* installation, and it never fails to have a package that the repo utils just cannot remove or update. And forces me to hack /var/lib/dpkg.

Using synaptic and doing the process incremenatlly (as I never permit unattended updates of anything) - I find takes much longer, but is much more painless.

Sid is also reasonably up to date:
Wine 4.2 (Feb) vs 4.6 (site)
Ruby 2.5.5 (15 Mar) vs 2.6.6(site)
Python 3.7.3 - same as site (v2 is 2.16, apparently last v2)
Perl 5.28.1 (?) vs 5.28.2 site.

The only problem i am having now with SID is no sound. And need to boot off an older kernel.

Other than that, much happier with the system than with Stretch.

You are not stuck with Gnome - Mate works fine, though the binary name changed.
Havent checked out SDDM (KDE) since the updates.

woteb

#14 Post by woteb »

I use Buster on all my systems now. Works shiny, fast and very stable.
Laptops: HP 250 G6 i3 7th gen + Lenovo: Debian Testing XFCE
HP based chromebooks: Debian Testing and other variations
"The simple reality of the matter is that Debian is essentially the backbone of Linux - for all practical purposes."

dotlj

#15 Post by dotlj »

I've been using Buster on my home laptop for about a month, no problems at all, everything is working smoothly.
I've wait before upgrading my desktop at work to Buster as it my main computer and critical for work.
I usually run testing and sometimes Sid on spare disks on older computers to get an idea of how they are progressing.

sjukfan

#16 Post by sjukfan »

I'm usually on Testing but wait a few weeks after launch before I upgrade, hoping for the worst bugs to be identified until then. Same thing if I was running stable. I mean, there will always be a couple of new bugs after release so one can as well wait a bit.
Bullseye amd64, AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Buster amd64, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX

Soul Singin'

#17 Post by Soul Singin' »

Code: Select all

./crap-post.sh --comment "this poll could be better" --force
Two of my three systems are still running Debian Wheezy and my laptop is loving Debian Buster.

PhilGil

#18 Post by PhilGil »

Put me in the already upgraded camp. I try to wait, but I always get impatient and upgrade some time between the hard freeze and release day.

sickpig

#19 Post by sickpig »

brave ones all of you who have upgraded, i have setup stretch just the way i like it. i fear the upgrade might change or break something. stretch would have to be pried from my cold dead fingers before i let it go :D

Soul Singin'

#20 Post by Soul Singin' »

sickpig wrote:i fear the upgrade might change or break something.
It will. There are a lot of changes in the file hierarchy. For example, Buster could not find my Brother scanner until I copied the Brother libraries to a different directory. And all of the packages that depend on Qt4 and libmariadbd18 have to be rebuilt, so Amarok will not be in Buster, nor will kodi-pvr-hts.
sickpig wrote:stretch would have to be pried from my cold dead fingers before i let it go :D
I still have two systems running Wheezy. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.