Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Questions for my class project

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
vangpz37

Questions for my class project

#1 Post by vangpz37 »

Hey everyone, I just wanting to post 10 general question about Debian for my class project. Please help me by answering some of these question or guide me by linking me the address to the website, so I can look for the answers. Some of these I know are common sense question but this is just opinion base answer and feel free to shoot me some questions as well. Please be polite when answering these questions.

1. What is Debian and why should a person choose it?
2. What is the difference between Windows and Debian (Performance wise?)
3. Suppose your FTP Server is hacked and the entire server needs to be restored. How should you restore the original kernel system files?
4. Can Debian computer be made a router so that several machines may share a single Internet connection? How?
5. Does Linux have a LILO? If so, how is it used?
6. If Debian terminal is not installed with sudo or other command line. What are the command line used or direction to obtain that information.
7. Is Debian ever used in other company, if so which company?
8. What does Debian mean and how did it get it's name?
9. In your opinion what do you like about Debian 9?
10. In your opinion, what could be improved about Debian? If you can improve it how would you?

GarryRicketson

Re: Questions for my class project

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

guide me by linking me the address to the website,
The 2 main websites, https://www.debian.org/ and https://wiki.debian.org/
Please be polite when answering these questions.
NO, well actually, I will politely tell you, but you won't consider it polite, first read this:
Please Read.. What we expect you have already Done.

I will politely give 1 example, and only one:
What is Debian and why should a person choose it?
The first hit is :https://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian
Every one of your homework questions can be answered by simply learning how to use a search engine, and your teachers failed miserably for not teaching you to do that.
Now, Please go do your own home work like a good kid would.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2019-04-23 17:18, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

Besides, that asking multiple questions is really in bad taste, and leads to a topic all mixed up , with various topics.
.9. In your opinion what do you like about Debian 9?
10. In your opinion, what could be improved about Debian? If you can improve it how would you?
Just browse the forum, you will find lot's of posts about peoples opinions and what the like or don't like about Debian 9, the same about what people think would be improvements.
There is no "if" about it, Since Debian is all open source, it can be modified and improved or butchered to the point of breaking it, as the admin sees fit,...Asking for opinion responses is about the same as sending invitations to trolls, so please read this:
Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!
Something you should have done before you posted.
And like all ways, just to be polite: Have a good day :mrgreen:

sickpig

#4 Post by sickpig »

my experience - windows used all of my computer's resources for itself(skynet became self-aware). it hogged the RAM and there was always some disk read/write going on in the background. open task manager and there were bunch of svchosts running around. in short it used all the hardware for itself. i could not use my machine for myself. one browser and one tab used 1.7 Gig RAM and that is pretty normal RAM usage for standard installations.

whereas in debian after boot, zero cpu usage, 150mb RAM and no random disk read/writes. so i can finally use my computer to do what i want to do as opposed to let it be used solely by the OS.
i like the fact that stable debian releases only issue security updates. i am not buried by 100s of mbs of updates everytime i do apt update.

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

I don't use windows, so can not really say, back when I did try it, it did not work well, and I realized it was just plain malware . So I stuck with MS Dos, and later moved to FreeDos, on my PC, on line, and on the servers Unix, later , started using Linux,..Knoppix was my first Linux .
Actually , not much, I have it on a QEMU VM, but for my main system, work PC , OpenBsd is preferred. When I started using Debian, it was different, Debian 6, and it was a great improvement over Linux Mint 10, which was what I was using at that time.
Debian 6, "Squeeze" and it was a great OS. Still use it on some machines.
Ahh, and that leads to:
Make it like it used to be , would be a big improvement, that is why I still use Debian 6 on some machines, if they had kept Debian nice and clean, simple but reliable, etc. like Debian 6 was,... I would still be using it on my PC,and work station.

millpond

#6 Post by millpond »

Hells bells I have time to burn while updating the system.

Debian is the first one of the 3 primary distros. It is the grandfather to some of the most popular distros such as Ubuntu and Mint. There are many reasons to use it. The main reason for its use are the massive package repository and basic vetting of the packages. Unlike Ubuntu, where releases sometimes do not function at all.
There are also reasons NOT to use it:
a. It is not user friendly to beginners.
b. SystemD

For performance, Windows is often better. Linux will often just freeze and some apps will seize up the memory, which is something I have rarely seen in Win (due to its microkernel). However the Linux filesystem is superior to Win NTFS. Win will damage a hard drive with thrashing apps, that here at least, EXT4 can handle flawlessly. Many Linux apps are faster than Win because they are inherently *simpler* - less feature bloat.

3. Suppose your FTP Server is hacked and the entire server needs to be restored. How should you restore the original kernel system files?
From a full system image. I use Macrium Reflact (a Win prog).

4. Can Debian computer be made a router so that several machines may share a single Internet connection? How?
Yes. And you can use *old* machines to do so. You just need a hardware switch, as well as a good working knowledge of Linux firewalls like iptables, and accessory security like snort.

LILO has largely been replaced by Grub. Grub is evil. Both are used to boot Linux.

6. If Debian terminal is not installed with sudo or other command line. What are the command line used or direction to obtain that information.
If you call up a terminal as a user it will have user privelidges. After calling up the terminal, or logging into a VT you can get root privlidges by typing 'su -' and typing password. I dont use sudo. Ever. So not familiar with it. Google 'sudoers'. Yo can log into a VT as root, but first must establish the account with 'passwd root' . Some DEs will not allow a full root login, and need to be hacked for access.

Too many to mention. Servers however have a tendency to use Redhats CentOS. It uses old but very stable software.

I believe from Debby and Ian, the founders kids.

Not much. I absndoned it for Devuan, but abandoned that when it ran into issues with power settings. And dist-upgrade.
Was forced to tolerate the systemd garbage and switch to Testing/SID when I needed to compile some programs needed. Plus I wanted a full development environment.

Get rid of systemd. Have *everything* initialize/boot from init.d . Offer minimal security spins for single user systems. Increase centralization of directory structure or have symlinks allowing full access to all a programs components from a single directory.
And stop deprecating stuff.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

@ millpond - you forgot the /sarcasm tag.
@OP - beware who you ask to do your homework for you.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#8 Post by None1975 »

Hey everyone, I just wanting to post 10 general question about Debian for my class project.
It is looks like ignorant and childish trolling.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

neuraleskimo

#9 Post by neuraleskimo »

It has wings and looks like a big Tylenol in the sky, but that's not important right now.

All of my windows generally do a good job letting in light. Debian not soo much, so maybe the windows outperform Debian in that way.

If it was hacked into big enough pieces, I would use SuperGlue.

Sure, but the easiest way to let lots of people share your Internet connection is use the password "1234".

Yes, I use the arrow keys and enter key.

~$

Never. I only use Debian alone. In the presence of other company, I use my phone. It lets me ignore them.

It is the contracted name of the person (Debby Anne) who invented Linux, the Internet, and snack cakes.

Because Debian is sooo different, it keeps those Ubuntu users from wanting to use my computer. (Ok, that is actually based on a true story.)

If I improved it, it would probably become broken because, well, I am not trusted to touch things at work... Anyway, I would make it more useful for world domination. Sharks with laser beams would be good.

:wink:

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

millpond wrote:SystemD
That annoys me so ****ing much — the name is *not* capitalised!
freedesktop.org wrote:Spelling

Yes, it is written systemd, not system D or System D, or even SystemD. And it isn't system d either. Why? Because it's a system daemon, and under Unix/Linux those are in lower case, and get suffixed with a lower case d. And since systemd manages the system, it's called systemd. It's that simple. But then again, if all that appears too simple to you, call it (but never spell it!) System Five Hundred since D is the roman numeral for 500 (this also clarifies the relation to System V, right?). The only situation where we find it OK to use an uppercase letter in the name (but don't like it either) is if you start a sentence with systemd. On high holidays you may also spell it sÿstëmd. But then again, Système D is not an acceptable spelling and something completely different (though kinda fitting).
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/

Sorry for the OT, OP.

EDIT: OK, one more:
sickpig wrote:open task manager and there were bunch of svchosts running around
Try running top(1) and see if you can count the kernel threads then.
deadbang

HuangLao

#11 Post by HuangLao »

Why are you completing his/her homework for them?

Tip: If you need us to do the research for you, then you are in bad shape for that class. You probably grew up in the era of the Internet....so use it, search for yourself. Hell you can even ask Siri or Google or Alexa and get a canned AI answer.

HOAS: SystemD

Head_on_a_Stick

#12 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

HuangLao wrote:SystemD
:x
deadbang

sickpig

#13 Post by sickpig »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:sickpig wrote:
open task manager and there were bunch of svchosts running around

Try running top(1) and see if you can count the kernel threads then.
that was windows task manager i was talking about. I haven't logged in to windows since i switched over to linux, debian in particular.

Edit:
I like Debian so much that i partitioned my work laptop and installed a copy of the same debian system running on my personal laptop for uniformity.
Last edited by sickpig on 2019-04-24 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

sickpig

#14 Post by sickpig »

HuangLao wrote:HOAS: SystemD
^ was a good one HuangLao :lol: :lol: :lol:

millpond

#15 Post by millpond »

systemd. Invented by lennus potthead for the Debian lennux Operating System.

sickpig

#16 Post by sickpig »

millpond wrote:systemd. Invented by lennus potthead for the Debian lennux Operating System.
nobody is forcing u to use it, either the init system or the operating system. Its just a piece of software why insult the developer or the OS?

Head_on_a_Stick

#17 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

sickpig wrote:that was windows task manager i was talking about
Yes, I know, my point was that Linux has it's own processes running wild in the background, even in your minimal openbox system.

Most task managers don't show kernel threads but top(1) does, try it and see how many there are.
sickpig wrote:why insult the developer or the OS?
Haters gonna hate.
deadbang

sickpig

#18 Post by sickpig »

top says 180 processes with a browser(chromium based), and 3 apps open - didn't let me copy its text though. it even had the word zombie in it, how cool.

m sure the chromium browser itself must have spawned half of those processes

i just love the fact that my computer is so responsive on Debian.

dotlj

#19 Post by dotlj »

Debian FAQ has the answers to your questions. https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/
Anything not there is covered elsewhere in one of the many useful links on the home page.

stevepusser

#20 Post by stevepusser »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
HuangLao wrote:SystemD
:x
MC Pottz HeavySystemD
MX Linux packager and developer