Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Buster - dhcp init service

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
shep

Buster - dhcp init service

#1 Post by shep »

This is a heads up. I'm running Buster amd64 on an HP Steam14 Netbook and was using wicd-gtk. After a recent update, the Stream14 lost it's dhcp connection. My other Buster system has a static NIC connection and continued to work fine.

On the Stream14, I tried connecting manually and received a warning about not getting an IP address. The Stream 14 does not have a NIC, and I don't own a usb NIC, so I set a static IP to get back on my network. I think this had something to do with the recent systemd update. Once I was back on, I fiddled with nw-tray, straight /etc/network/interfaces dhcp connection and swapped out dhclient for dhcpcd. No dhclient/dhcpcd based connection would work. I can't imagine this could go too long without an upstream fix but if you are wifi dependent, you may want to hold off on updates until it is fixed.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Buster - dhcp init service

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

shep wrote:After a recent update, the Stream14 lost it's dhcp connection
Is there anything in the systemd journal about the failure?

I have no problems with DHCP in my buster system:

Code: Select all

shinken:~$ apt policy systemd
systemd:
  Installed: 241-3
  Candidate: 241-3
  Version table:
 *** 241-3 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
shinken:~$
Perhaps try systemd-networkd, that's what I'm using to connect.

It even offers automatic fallover from wired to wireless, just like trunk(4).

Guide here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-networkd
deadbang

shep

Re: Buster - dhcp init service

#3 Post by shep »

Thanks for the guidance. Turned out to be an OpenWRT router problem - an extra space in my list of DNS servers. Removed the space, restarted the router and all is good. :oops: