Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Buster is here

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Debian Buster is here

#21 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

beardedragon wrote:I want testing
Then change "buster" to "testing" in /etc/apt/sources.list and enjoy the chaos when bullseye is released :D
beardedragon wrote:You can remove this whole discussion if you want. I am dropping it and do not intend to reply. Cannot say it has been fun. Never thought I would have this sort of trouble, it was not my intention.
What trouble?

You were mistaken about buster being released and you have confused some forum members but so what? I certainly don't care and nor should you...
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#22 Post by GarryRicketson »

=ahh, h_o_a_s beat me to it, but any way, I agree, and he is more of a expert then me ===
I want testing, will reinstall and leave well enough alone.
It isn't any trouble, at all. I am not any kind of expert ,so I might be wrong on this, and perhaps this : https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting
Explains better then I can, any way , the way I understand it, if you change your sources , all to "testing", instead of Stable or buster, then when Debian Buster is released, and they start the new Debian testing versions, then you will start having Debian testing all the time , if that is what you want.
Some one else probably can explain this better then me, ...and again I am not even close to being a expert on this.

beardedragon

#23 Post by beardedragon »

GarryRicketson wrote:=ahh, h_o_a_s beat me to it, but any way, I agree, and he is more of a expert then me ===
Still here, but on proper testing, this may explain my experience, started building a computer in NRI course back when DOS 7.2 was the only operating system. Been in Debian since Joined: 2011-06-08 15:18, worked with Apples and everything in windows up to the current 10. Started in Basic and I know my way around the web. Have a nice day. I love Linux.
Robert Collard, Madison, WI
Lenovo K450e Kernel: 4.19.0-5 NVIDIA 418.74
Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) XFCE-4.12.4
Rule #1 Back Up
Rule #2 Back Up Your Back Up

GarryRicketson

Re: I wanted Debian testing, why does it say Debian Buster ?

#24 Post by GarryRicketson »

That's nice, and your welcome, no trouble at all...

In 1980 , to about 1985, I also worked with apples, started out picking them, but later worked in preparing the ground and planting more apple trees in the NW.
I found a very old IBM in a junkyard, and managed to get it booted and running with MS dos 1.1, there were other operating systems, Unix being one of them, actually Unix was around before MS Dos, but I had not started using any computers at that time, so any way, by the time MS windows was first released, it failed miserably, was not even a real OS, and I stayed with Dos, and Unix, later ,around 1994 or 95, I saw a announcement on about FreeDos, and started using it, that is also where I first heard about Linux, it all was so long ago, kind of fuzzy in my brain,....But any way, Linux is ok, but I prefer Unix, Minix3, and the BSD's, Minix3 being my favourite, but I use OpenBsd as my host OS.
Schooling , well school and the idiot teachers was really a nightmare for me, so at the age of 10, I stopped going, started selling newspapers, had a good morning route. I still continued my studies though, the public Library was my "hangout" during the winter months, later, I started working construction, as a labourer, and continued my studies in the great University
"School of Hardknocks".
Never did like "basic", but did enjoy playing with Qbasic, and even made a few games for Dos.
So my experience is limited and I still flounder around the on the web, it is so corrupted with all the garbage and advertising that the expert SEO people produce, it makes things difficult when I try to find reliable info,...but guess that is another topic.
Any way have a good day, and have fun. It might be nice if the topic title was a little more descriptive, and accurate, some thing like :
" I wanted Debian testing, why does it say Debian Buster ? "

beardedragon

Re: I wanted Debian testing, why does it say Debian Buster ?

#25 Post by beardedragon »

GarryRicketson wrote:That's nice, and your welcome, no trouble at all...

" I wanted Debian testing, why does it say Debian Buster ? "
It started when the railroad I worked on decided to sell out, I took up being a micro computer repairman in my spare time. You learn by doing, in other words building one. Along with the hardware you need to know the software. I ran a computer lab in a grade school full of old apples, 31 was the biggest class plus a server and two printers. I kept up five days a week, as a volunteer, over ten school years. I hate windows, it has so many holes and back doors in it, it is a hacker's dream. Stumbled on Ubuntu and been doing Linux ever since, hopping from one OS to another. In and out of Debian, I know it well. I'm not too old for this, just 74. Keep in touch.
Rule #1 Back Up

GarryRicketson

#26 Post by GarryRicketson »

I don't really like to "hop" from one OS to another much, I would rather stick with the one I am most familiar with, however since technology is constantly changing , and Linux Distros, as well as other OS's do change, and when the changes do not seem to be a improvement, (to me any way), any way, sometimes it becomes necessary to change OS or distro.
I switched from Linux Mint 10, to Debian 6 Squeeze, and when I joined this forum in 2015, seems longer, ...well anyway, when I joined the forum it was because I had broken my Debian 6 system, and having a hard time fixing it, first thing I was told, "You should be using Debian 7", Then I read the https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian and realized what had broken my Debian 6 system, I had installed a package from the Ubuntu repos, because it was not available in the Debian repos, and with a little more research, I found out why it was not in the Debian repos, in a nut shell, it was because of some problems/bugs , that the particular program had, and the developers of that program were not cooperating or willing to fix. I am not going to name the program here, but any way, it still is not available in Debian repos.
At 65 , I still enjoy experimenting with "new toys", in fact now that I am retired, I have much more free time, and enjoy every minuet ,...

beardedragon

#27 Post by beardedragon »

GarryRicketson wrote: At 65 , I still enjoy experimenting with "new toys", in fact now that I am retired, I have much more free time, and enjoy every minuet ,...
Well I have stayed with several systems for a few years at a time. Before this I was with Manjaro, helping people on the forums, using testing and keeping a duo boot with stable. It is arch based and the original writer is kind of getting away, working full time and I think it might go down the tubes. Before that I worked as a forum monitor for Saline Linux several years and it went away. In between I hop to find something stable or interesting. I have found bad forums with nasty people on them and nobody seems to care. My list of forums is as long as my screen is high. I was not trying to break Debian, just make it faster and with better graphics. It worked with that combination of nvidia and kernel real nice. I was just surprised when it turned out to be Buster. I will keep on experimenting though and keep it to myself, if it crashes I got backups and other fish to fry. The first rule in computing is "Back it up." That is coming from a man who had two five and a quarter inch floppy drives, no hard drive and 768K in a used video board and the original ram. That is more than the IBM PC had back then. They had a maximum of 640K. I do not hack other computers, I hack my own. Well, time to go to bed. Have a good night.
Rule #1 Back Up

GarryRicketson

#28 Post by GarryRicketson »

OK, well, yes it is getting late for me as well. I vaguely remember something similar to this came up back when Debian Stretch was almost ready to be released, and some one was confused why they were getting Debian Stretch, instead of Debian testing, when they did upgrades. There does seem to be a short time, when the new release ,or "soon to be released", is in a frozen state, it is frozen, and there is not really any "Debian testing" during that time, the "testing" release starts, after the stable release is actually released, then , if all your sources point to "testing", you will start getting the new testing upgrades, at this point I can not find anything on what the release name (code name) will be after Buster is released. So in a nut shell,
you will not get any Debian testing, unless you change your sources.list file, so that they all point toward "testing", if you do not change your sources.list file, you will never have Debian testing.
==== take a look at this:

beardedragon

#29 Post by beardedragon »

GarryRicketson wrote: if you do not change your sources.list file, you will never have Debian testing.
Thanks.
Rule #1 Back Up

beardedragon

#30 Post by beardedragon »

Is Everybody Happy?

Code: Select all

bob@Debian-Testing:~$ inxi -Fxzc0
System:
  Host: Debian-Testing Kernel: 4.19.0-4-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.4 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: LENOVO product: 10181 v: Lenovo K450e 
  serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: LENOVO model: N/A v: 31900058 STD serial: <filter> BIOS: LENOVO 
  v: I1KT38AUS date: 06/10/2014 
Battery:
  Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech M570 charge: 90% 
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-4460 bits: 64 type: MCP 
  arch: Haswell rev: 3 L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 25542 
  Speed: 1397 MHz min/max: 800/3400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1397 2: 1398 
  3: 1397 4: 1397 
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GK208 [GeForce GT 720] vendor: Micro-Star MSI 
  driver: nvidia v: 418.56 bus ID: 01:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: nvidia 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 720/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 418.56 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio vendor: Lenovo 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GK208 HDMI/DP Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-4-amd64 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: Lenovo driver: r8169 v: kernel port: d000 bus ID: 03:00.0 
  IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.82 TiB used: 63.48 GiB (3.4%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 
  size: 931.51 GiB 
  ID-2: /dev/sdd type: USB vendor: Western Digital model: WD Elements 25A2 
  size: 931.48 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 908.08 GiB used: 23.39 GiB (2.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
  ID-2: swap-1 size: 7.93 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 55 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 29% 
Info:
  Processes: 187 Uptime: 8h 42m Memory: 7.73 GiB used: 1.11 GiB (14.4%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 8.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.3 
  inxi: 3.0.32 
"That's Okay, I left them reeling on MX 8.2 also, LOL
Last edited by beardedragon on 2019-05-18 01:59, edited 1 time in total.
Rule #1 Back Up

dotlj

#31 Post by dotlj »

I've been looking at Buster and testing over the last year and installed in March on my home desktop. As most of the RC bugs affecting Buster don't affect me, I had no problem testing and enjoy it very much.

The kernel is 4.19 which I have been using in Stretch on another machine from stretch-backports for some time. As Buster will be released with that kernel, once Buster is released, I'll wait for the newer kernels to trickle down from Sid.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#32 Post by None1975 »

Release-critical bugs status on Sat May 18 12:00:00 UTC 2019-only 115. Very good news!
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Head_on_a_Stick

#33 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

The new base-files package has made it into buster:

ryzen:~$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="10"
VERSION="10 (buster)"
VERSION_CODENAME=buster
ID=debian
HOME_URL="https://www.debian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://www.debian.org/support"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/"
ryzen:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Release:        10
Codename:       buster
ryzen:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
ryzen:~$ 
Debian 10 ftw!
deadbang

Wheelerof4te

#34 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Ok, so to sum up this clusterfuck of a thread, only base-files have changed to point only to Debian 10 (Buster).
Debian 10 has not been released just yet, but the change in base-files indicates that it's release is closer than we thought.

cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="10"
VERSION="10 (buster)"
VERSION_CODENAME=buster
ID=debian

beardedragon

#35 Post by beardedragon »

Buster, it seems, has been out in an rc, [debian-buster-DI-rc1-amd64-DVD-1] since April 12, 2019. I'm wrestling with the sources list that seems to require the install disk ever so often. "Any ideas?" BTW, it only comes with xfce4.12.4.

bob@Debian:~$ inxi -Fxzc0
System:
  Host: Debian Kernel: 4.19.0-5-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 
  Desktop: Xfce 4.12.4 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: LENOVO product: 10181 v: Lenovo K450e 
  serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: LENOVO model: N/A v: 31900058 STD serial: <filter> BIOS: LENOVO 
  v: I1KT38AUS date: 06/10/2014 
Battery:
  Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech M570 charge: 85% 
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-4460 bits: 64 type: MCP 
  arch: Haswell rev: 3 L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 25543 
  Speed: 798 MHz min/max: 800/3400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 798 2: 798 
  3: 798 4: 798 
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GK208 [GeForce GT 720] vendor: Micro-Star MSI 
  driver: nvidia v: 418.56 bus ID: 01:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: nvidia 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 720/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 418.56 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio vendor: Lenovo 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GK208 HDMI/DP Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-5-amd64 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: Lenovo driver: r8169 v: kernel port: d000 bus ID: 03:00.0 
  IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.82 TiB used: 70.23 GiB (3.8%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 
  size: 931.51 GiB 
  ID-2: /dev/sdd type: USB vendor: Western Digital model: WD Elements 25A2 
  size: 931.48 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 908.08 GiB used: 22.66 GiB (2.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
  ID-2: swap-1 size: 7.93 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 43.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 49 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 28% 
Info:
  Processes: 179 Uptime: 1h 30m Memory: 7.73 GiB used: 704.0 MiB (8.9%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 8.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.3 
  inxi: 3.0.32 
Rule #1 Back Up

dotlj

#36 Post by dotlj »

Please have a look at the weekly testing images https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/week ... 64/iso-cd/

For testing and even for stable, I do an initial install using netinst.iso but choose no desktop, only system and ssh, then reboot.
After checking the system I then add the desktop I want, so if you want minimal KDE, choose

apt install kde-plasma-desktop
Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and change to (you can also add the deb-src if you like them)

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main non-free contrib
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-backports main contrib non-free
Backports and security aren't available until it becomes stable, so you can edit but I have then in and have no problems with

apt update 
apt dist-upgrade

beardedragon

#37 Post by beardedragon »

dotlj wrote:Please have a look at the weekly testing images https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/week ... 64/iso-cd/

For testing and even for stable, I do an initial install using netinst.iso but choose no desktop, only system and ssh, then reboot.
After checking the system I then add the desktop I want, so if you want minimal KDE, choose

apt install kde-plasma-desktop
Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and change to (you can also add the deb-src if you like them)

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main non-free contrib
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-backports main contrib non-free
Backports and security aren't available until it becomes stable, so you can edit but I have then in and have no problems with

apt update 
apt dist-upgrade
Thanks the only missing one was buster-backports I did get a warning, I also put a # in front of the one making it look for the DVD all the time.

The following packages have been kept back:
  libxnvctrl0
Rule #1 Back Up

L_V

#38 Post by L_V »

beardedragon wrote:Thanks the only missing one was buster-backports I did get a warning,
That's normal because buster-backports does not exist. It's a bit early to expect backports on buster.....

libxnvctrl0 / buster: https://packages.debian.org/buster/libxnvctrl0

beardedragon

#39 Post by beardedragon »

L_V wrote:
beardedragon wrote:Thanks the only missing one was buster-backports I did get a warning,
That's normal because buster-backports does not exist. It's a bit early to expect backports on buster.....

libxnvctrl0 / buster: https://packages.debian.org/buster/libxnvctrl0
Thanks for the link, gdebi said it is already installed, I reinstalled it just in case.
Rule #1 Back Up

L_V

#40 Post by L_V »

Can you show this:

apt policy libxnvctrl0