Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Headset mic won't work

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
zadiste

Headset mic won't work

#1 Post by zadiste »

I recently bought a new headset with microphone and cannot get the mic part to be recognized in pavucontrol. I tried the headset on a Windows 10 computer and it worked perfectly fine without any setup, so I know it's not the hardware. I am able to hear through the headphones when I switch the audio output, but under the "Input Devices" tab, I am only able to select my laptop's built-in mic. How can I get it to recognize the mic? Any help is greatly appreciated!

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: Headset mic won't work

#2 Post by 4D696B65 »

zadiste

#3 Post by zadiste »

Thanks for the suggestion! I also thought about checking there, but figured this would be the place to start. Wouldn't it be a debian issue either way?

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by wizard10000 »

zadiste wrote:...Wouldn't it be a debian issue either way?
I'm afraid not; back in the day I migrated Crunchbang Waldorf to pure Debian Wheezy and it was one heck of a lot more complicated than you'd think it would be. I was able to migrate without reinstalling but the differences were significant.

There are dozens of distributions based on Debian but only one of them *is* Debian. Debian devs or support resources have no way to determine whether any package in a distribution has been changed from Debian, whether a different non-Debian package may be causing the issue or whether the default configuration in the Debian package has been changed.

This is one reason we refer issues with Debian derivatives to their own support forums.

Hope this clears things up -
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

wizard10000 wrote:back in the day I migrated Crunchbang Waldorf to pure Debian Wheezy and it was one heck of a lot more complicated than you'd think it would be. I was able to migrate without reinstalling but the differences were significant.
The differences between BunsenLabs helium and Debian stretch are greater than the differences between #! Waldorf & Debian wheezy.

@OP: I used to help out with BunsenLabs development and they would very much prefer that you ask on their forums, thanks!

You probably need a newer kernel version, my [FAQ] in the HowTo section of this forum will also apply to your distribution.
deadbang