Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Started migration to buster and gave up

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Started migration to buster and gave up

#1 Post by bester69 »

Hi,
Yesterday I started migration to buster, and then on the way I realised it was going to be too many efforts and wasnt worthy, so gave it up and restored previously syste, backup.

I thought I could save some time by using a Netrunner (kde buster distro) released, but It was very litle to save as once installed It was need it to update most of packages.. So It would have been the same to install them from zero..

Then I was discovering a lot of different and new packages, and many had been dropped.. for example, (I couldnt use my attic backup) as attic have been dropped.. Also I couldnt install MEGA client as there's not client yet for buster, and most of times things works some different so you need spend long time fixing thing to be able to achieve and fix the migration, for example mpd didnt work migrationg without fixing mpd.conf configuration file, and so on. Dolphin behaved different and everitime I opened a directory , this showed up in preview mode.. some settings was missing with migration and need to be setted again (dolphin remember view)..and so on. Smplayer wasnt able to stream at 720p after migration (only 630) my favourites channels thought I tried with several different settings. Firefox asked for extrange and unkown plugin like plasma-browser or something like that.. I lost icon theme as new plasma doesnt recongnize it..chrome Googlekeep view, was kind of broken in new chrome's version.. Kmail (Kontact framework), doesnt get migration for gmail, without set a new credentials (two steps authentification)

So finally, I considered it was very possible I was going to gave into much more troubles, so I gave up and restored previous debian.
Last edited by bester69 on 2019-06-20 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Wheelerof4te

Re: Started migration to buster and gave up

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

There are a lot of changes between Plasma 5.8 in Stretch and Plasma 5.14 in Buster. Nevertheless, the general concensus is that the new Plasma version is much better in Buster. It might surprise you that it's lighter on resources, too :)
I know that you run a lot of weird and obscure programs, so some of those definitely won't work in Buster.
Buster isn't officialy declared as Stable yet, so you have time to prepare. Just don't give up on it. There is no better Debian distro than Debian itself.

bester69

#3 Post by bester69 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:There are a lot of changes between Plasma 5.8 in Stretch and Plasma 5.14 in Buster. Nevertheless, the general concensus is that the new Plasma version is much better in Buster. It might surprise you that it's lighter on resources, too :)
I know that you run a lot of weird and obscure programs, so some of those definitely won't work in Buster.
Buster isn't officialy declared as Stable yet, so you have time to prepare. Just don't give up on it. There is no better Debian distro than Debian itself.
Perhaps, Its better to wait longer for things to be setteled down. I dont want to get into troubles with mail (akonadi services) or some scripts backups (duplicity, rclone, duplicity-rclone backend,attic, etc)..
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/ ... ng.en.html

(Draft version)

And we told you that adding NetRunner was a bad idea :mrgreen:
deadbang

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

bester69 wrote:So finally, I considered it was very possible I was going to gave into much more troubles, so I gave up and restored previous debian.
+1. Three times I have tried dist-upgrading to Buster only to have it fail. There are some substantial changes between my simple, legacy Stretch and Buster that make dist-upgrade difficult. In all the years I've been using Debian Buster is the only version that has caused me trouble upgrading to.

Edited to add: HOAS, thanks for the link.

bester69

#6 Post by bester69 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/ ... ng.en.html

(Draft version)

And we told you that adding NetRunner was a bad idea :mrgreen:
thanks, but I can think by myself and have not to agreed with you neccesarily, Netrunner Core (buster) is just a great idea, I queried repositories, and they dont use of their own, they're just pointing to debian sources... dude :?.. You wont change my mind when I know Im right, Im not an Organic Portal

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

bester69 wrote:Netrunner Core (buster) is just a great idea
Is not.
deadbang

Wheelerof4te

#8 Post by Wheelerof4te »

bester69 wrote:You wont change my mind when I know Im right, Im not an Organic Portal
Stealing this, it's glorious.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by sunrat »

bester69 wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:And we told you that adding NetRunner was a bad idea :mrgreen:
thanks, but I can think by myself and have not to agreed with you neccesarily, Netrunner Core (buster) is just a great idea, I queried repositories, and they dont use of their own, they're just pointing to debian sources... dude :?.. You wont change my mind when I know Im right, Im not an Organic Portal
I told you it's a bad idea too. Seems you won't change your mind when you're wrong either! :lol:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

pcalvert

#10 Post by pcalvert »

bester69 wrote:Then I was discovering a lot of different and new packages, and many had been dropped.. for example, (I couldnt use my attic backup) as attic have been dropped.
Here's a potential replacement for attic:
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/borgbackup

See also:
https://github.com/witten/borgmatic

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

bester69

#11 Post by bester69 »

pcalvert wrote:
bester69 wrote:Then I was discovering a lot of different and new packages, and many had been dropped.. for example, (I couldnt use my attic backup) as attic have been dropped.
Here's a potential replacement for attic:
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/borgbackup

See also:
https://github.com/witten/borgmatic

Phil
yeah, I know, I will have to migrate my scritps to borg.

Thanks

andre@home

#12 Post by andre@home »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/ ... ng.en.html
(Draft version)
Respect for so much work.

I've just a Debian server and save the config files I''ll certainly need (apache, webdav, fstab data; sometimes they need to be adjusted to new verslons), but so far always made a fresh installation using a new Debian version, simply that it would take me too much time to sort out what you've described in your upgrade document.

What's your incentive to upgrade in this way? Wouldn't it be less work to make a fresh install?
The challenge to make it work, thats for sure I can understand, but for the rest?