Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Valve is dropping Ubuntu support over 32-bit lib cut

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Wheelerof4te

Valve is dropping Ubuntu support over 32-bit lib cut

#1 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Prominent Valve developer Pierre-Loup Griffias announced on Twitter that Valve will not officialy support or recommend Ubuntu starting from 19.10:
https://twitter.com/Plagman2/status/1142262103106973698

This means there is an empty vacuum over which distribution willl be supported by Steam. We know 100% that Debian will offer multiarch support in Buster, so maybe reaching out to Valve over official Debian support might be good. In any case, it is up to Valve to make a decision.

As a reminder, Ubuntu is dropping 32-bit, including multiarch support starting from 19.10. I will refrain from ranting about this, because it is know that Canonical is a "partner" of Microsoft, so them doing something harmful to Linux is not a surprise. Even if they retract their decision, the damage is already done and the trust is lost.

So, go and reach out to Valve about this.

sickpig

Re: Valve is dropping Ubuntu support over 32-bit lib cut

#2 Post by sickpig »

ohh no apocalypse

Wheelerof4te

#3 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Being sarcastic about it won't do anyone any good. Gaming is a real hobby for a lot of people in this day and age. Gaming is also a big money-maker with pro-gaming industry on the rise over the last decade. Also, you are dismissing the tremendous work some developers, Valve included, made over the last year to greatly help Linux gaming.
Sadly, Ubuntu is still a face of Linux for many newbies, even though there are much better alternatives now. So, if Ubuntu does something stupid, the whole Linux community suffers.

Please, be serious about this, as it can help Linux and Debian as a whole.

sickpig

#4 Post by sickpig »

u have lost the plot my friend. The only reason support is dropped is because its not adding to the bottom line. Every non charity organization is driven by a sole chief purpose of making money. If supporting non main stream gaming platforms doesn't add to the bottom line then what you posted happens.

So yeah apocalypse.

I have seen heaps of restrictive tactics implemented across online industry wherein proprietary appliances are enforced as opposed to open source ones because of high level partnerships between corporates. Even if they have a linux alternative then its going to suse, why? because suse is leading in terms of partnerships across corporations.

Wheelerof4te

#5 Post by Wheelerof4te »

sickpig wrote:u have lost the plot my friend.
I haven't lost anything, I perfectly understand the situation and you described it well. After a call out, but still.
The only reason I was protesting is because of your sarcastic response, which didn't move the thread an inch forward. Worse yet, it made it childlish to even discuss.

sickpig

#6 Post by sickpig »

thanks i take absolute pride in being childish, its what separates the living from the dead

KBD47

#7 Post by KBD47 »

Wasn't SteamOS built on Debian?
Looks like an easy move for those interested in 32 bit games, Wine, being able to use their printer with 32 bit drivers, to move to Debian.