Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] dvd reader/writers don't work after testing upgrade

Need help with peripherals or devices?
jrv

[solved] dvd reader/writers don't work after testing upgrade

#1 Post by jrv »

On Jun 26th, 2019, I downloaded and installed new packages for testing (buster). After installing them my internal dvd reader/writer is no longer recognized. It used to show up as /dev/sr0. It does not show up anymore. I have a usb dvd reader/writer. That will show up as /dev/sr0, but has many, many problems when running. I can play a music cd using vlc but I get frequent breaks and errors in the system logs:

Code: Select all

Jun 28 21:14:22 hmm pulseaudio[14051]: E: [alsa-sink-ALC889A Analog] module-equalizer-sink.c: Resetting filter
abcde/cdparanoia can't rip audio discs. It reports errors like:

i_read error: sector=132335 length=1 retry=0
                 Sense key: 3 ASC: 11 ASCQ: 5
                 Transport error: Medium reading data from medium
                 System error: Input/output error
I have seen this on bad discs before, but this was on a disc I have already ripped without problems.

Lastly I tried to write to a writable dvd using k3b, but it failed. It did not give a detailed explanation.

I have rebooted several times with no change.

I did a comparison of package state before and after. This particular upgrade looks suspicious:

As of Jun 25th, 2019
libcdio18:amd64 1:2.0.0-dmo2 amd64 library to read and control CD-ROM
As of Jun 26th, 2019
libcdio19:amd64 1:2.1.0-dmo1 amd64 library to read and control CD-ROM

By my count there were sixty-two other changes, so it's possible this was a coincidental change.

Where can I see if this is a known issue? Is there more information I can get to narrow down the source of the problem? Is there a place to report the issue for buster?

JR
Last edited by jrv on 2019-07-09 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

Bulkley

Re: dvd reader/writers don't work after latest testing upgra

#2 Post by Bulkley »

First, Buster is Testing and it will break. File a bug report. If it is common it may be fixed in the next upgrade or two.

Questions: Was your Buster installed from an official source? Or have you upgraded from Stretch? Do you have mixed repositories? Buster with some Stretch? Anything else?

jrv

#3 Post by jrv »

Bulkley wrote:First, Buster is Testing and it will break. File a bug report.
Understood but where? I'm having trouble understanding debian's bug tracking web site.
Bulkley wrote: If it is common it may be fixed in the next upgrade or two.
That is my fervent hope. If it is a known problem I will let the coders work their magic, but I can't find where I should look. I don't see any bugs that seem particularly related to that one library or to DVD drives.
Bulkley wrote: Questions: Was your Buster installed from an official source? Or have you upgraded from Stretch? Do you have mixed repositories? Buster with some Stretch? Anything else?
This particular buster was installed from a dvd image downloaded from debian. I had originally upgraded from stretch, but that hard drive went bad so I believe everything now is pure testing/buster.

I mixed repositories once a long time ago, and I never will again.

I know of nothing else, but if someone thinks of something that might be relevant I can provide that information.

JR

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#4 Post by 4D696B65 »

The package is from dmo not debian

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

Maybe, show the output of

$ lsb_release -a 
and also show the :

/etc/apt/sources.list 
File.
To start with.
The bug reporting, is for bugs, but first we should see if it really is a bug:
Post by 4D696B65 » 2019-07-01 17:34
That is not a bug, How did these:

As of Jun 25th, 2019
As of Jun 26th, 2019
get in there ?
Is there a place to report the issue for buster?
Yes there is,https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
I'm having trouble understanding debian's bug tracking web site.
You would need to be more specific, and tell us exactly what part of the tracking website you do not understand, or which part of the reporting bugs,
but also, that really should be a whole other topic.
Is there more information I can get to narrow down the source of the problem?
Yes there is more information you can get, in fact, in the reporting bugs page, (above) , there are some links going into that, and using 'dpkg', etc,,,
I am in a hurry, and do not have time to re-write the details, but maybe later...
But here is a hint:
from https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
Using dpkg to find the package and version for the report

When using reportbug to report a bug in a command, say grep, the following will automatically select the right package and let you write the report right away: reportbug --file $(which grep)

You can also find out which package installed it by using dpkg --search. You can find out which version of a package you have installed by using dpkg --list or dpkg --status.

For example:

------ snip ------------
But again, if you are using DMO (deb-multimedia.org ) it is NOT a Debian/Buster bug.... see :
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia/FAQ
2.8. Well, isn't deb-multimedia.org an official part of Debian?

This is a common misconception in regards to what deb-multimedia.org is. Although dmo is run by a Debian Developer and used to make use of the word "Debian" and the Debian trademark, dmo is in fact not a part of Debian or affiliated with Debian in any way. The fund-raising that happens there does not go towards Debian. As far as we understand it, dmo is maintained by only two people, neither of whom are a part of this team.

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

GarryRicketson wrote: . . . But again, if you are using DMO (deb-multimedia.org ) . . .
Thanks for that, Garry. Acronyms drive me nuts. :oops:

Back to the thread.

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

Me too, and actually I am guessing, based on a search and the context it was used, but I am pretty sure that is what it means.
Also , from the same link I posted above:
'deb-multimedia.org' (aka 'dmo' or 'd-m.o', formerly 'debian-multimedia.org')
3. Common issues

3.1. A recent upgrade of ffmpeg/libav-related library packages (e.g. libavcodec) has broken related software (e.g. Totem, MPlayer, VLC, Xine)

This is probably caused by unofficial packages from third-party repositories, e.g. 'deb-multimedia.org' (formerly 'debian-multimedia.org'). These packages are known to not integrate well with other software packages in Debian and cause breakage regularly.

It is highly recommended to remove these unofficial packages from your system and replace them with the official ones provided by Debian instead. Please use apt-cache madison libavcodec* or similar tools to determine the version of the libavcodec library package installed on your system and compare it with the one provided by the official Debian mirrors.
Unofficial packages are often identified by package revision numbers like -dmo1 (formerly -0.1).
You can list all the packages you have installed in your system from 'deb-multimeda.org' by running

aptitude search '~S ~i ~O"Unofficial Multimedia Packages"'
Note:

aptitude search '~S ~i ~O"Unofficial Multimedia Packages"' 
And solution:
Install the official package explicitely, e.g. via sudo apt-get install libavcodec53=4:0.7.2-1+b1. Usually, the official libavcodec package's dependency declarations should be sufficient to pull in the appropriate official packages for the other libraries as well. However, if needed, the aforementioned steps may be repeated to explicitely install the other library packages built from the official 'ffmpeg' or 'libav' source packages, respectively, too: libavformat, libavdevice, libavfilter, libavutil, libswscale, libpostproc.

Please do also consider to entirely remove unofficial third-party repositories from your /etc/apt/sources.list file. The few more features added to the packages provided there do often not compensate for the breakage they may cause.
Please do note, the package they mention is only a EG (example), this could/would apply to any package from there.

Deb-fan

#8 Post by Deb-fan »

Likely need to enable non-free in sources. Update sources then install some packages like "libdvd-pkg" then run the following command too "sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg"
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

Deb-fan wrote:Likely need to enable non-free in sources. Update sources then install some packages like "libdvd-pkg" then run the following command too "sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg"
Nope, it's the deb-multimedia packages. It's always the deb-multimedia packages. :?

All the OP needs to do is to restore their system to the point it was before they added deb-multimedia. If they don't have a backup system, even a dead easy one like Timeshift (now in Buster), then they can call it a learning experience.
MX Linux packager and developer

Deb-fan

#10 Post by Deb-fan »

Thanks @Steve. Plus I get an F- for reading. I should probably read before hitting the reply button. Arghhh!
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

jrv

#11 Post by jrv »

4D696B65 wrote:The package is from dmo not debian
It took me a bit to understand that "dmo" is "debian multimedia," but you are correct in that observation. I added debian multimedia to my repositories to get one specific package. What I did not realize is that synaptic does not just update packages from the repository they are retrieved from but will take the latest version from *any* repository in its list without regard to its original source. I inadvertently had built a franken-machine. I removed the debian multimedia repository and removed the 140 packages that were from dmo (plus some other collateral damage). I then reinstalled everything from the debian repositories, a very exciting task that took about six hours last night and this morning.

I still have an outside repository for visual studio code, but I don't believe that is supplying basic packages. I also still have the one specific package from debian multimedia but at this point I think I am 100% debian testing with regard to the dvd problem.

I also unplugged the internal dvd reader/writer in case it had some hardware issue that blows up the driver or some such. I tested the USB drive on another machine (ubuntu), and it performs as expected there.

The symptoms on my debian testing (buster) machine remain the same after removing the debian multimedia packages and the internal dvd reader/writer (and rebooting). It still won't play audio discs without stops and it won't rip or burn cds/dvds either. My supposition that it was related to the upgrade in the dmo package is now clearly wrong, so I am going to looks some more to see if there is another explanation that might fit.

JR

jrv

#12 Post by jrv »

GarryRicketson wrote:Maybe, show the output of

$ lsb_release -a 

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Debian
Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Release:	10
Codename:	buster
GarryRicketson wrote: and also show the :

/etc/apt/sources.list 
File.
To start with.
This is post-removal of the debian multimedia repository (http://forums.debian.net/posting.php?mo ... 1#pr701531)

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing contrib main non-free 
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ buster main 

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ testing/updates main contrib 
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ buster/updates main contrib 
There is also another repository in sourced.list.d

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list 
### THIS FILE IS AUTOMATICALLY CONFIGURED ###
# You may comment out this entry, but any other modifications may be lost.
deb [arch=amd64] http://packages.microsoft.com/repos/vscode/ stable main 
If you are interested in the dmo repository I was using I can dig that out of a backup, but I removed the repository as part of removing the dmo packages.
GarryRicketson wrote: The bug reporting, is for bugs, but first we should see if it really is a bug:
Post by 4D696B65 » 2019-07-01 17:34
That is not a bug, How did these:

As of Jun 25th, 2019
As of Jun 26th, 2019
get in there ?
As I discovered I had inadvertently created a partial franken-machine. I removed the dmo packages and re-installed pure debian stuff last night. Regrettably the problems with the dvd reader/writer persist.
GarryRicketson wrote:
Is there a place to report the issue for buster?
Yes there is,https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
I'm having trouble understanding debian's bug tracking web site.
You would need to be more specific, and tell us exactly what part of the tracking website you do not understand, or which part of the reporting bugs,
but also, that really should be a whole other topic.
My confusion here is that I was expecting a web page with an html form on which I could report a bug. Apparently that is not the debian way.
GarryRicketson wrote:
Is there more information I can get to narrow down the source of the problem?
Yes there is more information you can get, in fact, in the reporting bugs page, (above) , there are some links going into that, and using 'dpkg', etc,,,
I am in a hurry, and do not have time to re-write the details, but maybe later...
But here is a hint:
from https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
Using dpkg to find the package and version for the report

When using reportbug to report a bug in a command, say grep, the following will automatically select the right package and let you write the report right away: reportbug --file $(which grep)

You can also find out which package installed it by using dpkg --search. You can find out which version of a package you have installed by using dpkg --list or dpkg --status.

For example:

------ snip ------------
But again, if you are using DMO (deb-multimedia.org ) it is NOT a Debian/Buster bug.... see :
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia/FAQ
2.8. Well, isn't deb-multimedia.org an official part of Debian?

This is a common misconception in regards to what deb-multimedia.org is. Although dmo is run by a Debian Developer and used to make use of the word "Debian" and the Debian trademark, dmo is in fact not a part of Debian or affiliated with Debian in any way. The fund-raising that happens there does not go towards Debian. As far as we understand it, dmo is maintained by only two people, neither of whom are a part of this team.
At this point I have removed all dmo except one package I had specifically intended to install. I have a vague problem (dvd reader/writer won't work), and I don't have any more details than that it started happening last week. Are there any log files I might inspect or debug setting that I might invoke? I would like to send as much information as I can with a bug report.

JR
Last edited by jrv on 2019-07-02 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

jrv

#13 Post by jrv »

stevepusser wrote:
Deb-fan wrote:Likely need to enable non-free in sources. Update sources then install some packages like "libdvd-pkg" then run the following command too "sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg"
Nope, it's the deb-multimedia packages. It's always the deb-multimedia packages. :?

All the OP needs to do is to restore their system to the point it was before they added deb-multimedia. If they don't have a backup system, even a dead easy one like Timeshift (now in Buster), then they can call it a learning experience.
I had installed the debian multimedia repository from the first day, not realizing that apt & related software would grab things from there without my realizing it. Fortunately it was relatively easy to identify the items and not difficult although time-consuming to remove them and re-install the debian versions. I regret to say that did not fix my problem.

JR

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#14 Post by 4D696B65 »

Did you install the Debian proper version?
https://packages.debian.org/sid/libcdio18

GarryRicketson

#15 Post by GarryRicketson »

My confusion here is that I was expecting a web page with an html form on which I could report a bug. Apparently that is not the debian way.
Did you really read the page, and some of the links it has ?
No, there is not a "form", but you can use:
https://packages.debian.org/stable/utils/reportbug
reportbug is designed to be used on systems with an installed mail transport agent, like exim or sendmail; however, you can edit the configuration file and send reports using any available mail server.
======
They also show a example , it could be used as a template, :
An Example Bug Report

A bug report with header and pseudo-header looks something like this:

To: submit@bugs.debian.org
  Subject: Hello says `goodbye'

Package: hello
  Version: 1.3-16

When I invoke `hello' without arguments from an ordinary shell
  prompt it prints `goodbye', rather than the expected `hello, world'.
  Here is a transcript:

$ hello
  goodbye
  $ /usr/bin/hello
  goodbye
  $

I suggest that the output string, in hello.c, be corrected.

I am using Debian GNU/Linux 2.2, kernel 2.2.17-pre-patch-13
  and libc6 2.1.3-10.
It is much better if you use the "reportbug" package, I and the wiki mention.
If you do make a big report, please give them better information then you are giving here, ..
----snip---and re-install the debian versions. I regret to say that did not fix my problem.
What versions, exactly, package names ?, etc.....
====== edited =====
I do have reportbug installed, and it worked quite well when I used it, in fact I would run it, using the package name of what you installed, and see if there are other bug reports filed, but since you have conveniently neglected to give the actual names of the debian packages , versions you reinstalled, guess what ?, Can't help you.

garry@debian:~$ lsb_release -a
garry@debian:~$ reportbug
Please enter the name of the package in which you have found a problem, or type
'other' to report a more general problem. If you don't know what package the bug
is in, please contact debian-user@lists.debian.org for assistance.
> 

So let me try with the one 4D696B65 posted:
Postby 4D696B65 » 2019-07-02 16:43
Did you install the Debian proper version?
Just to demonstrate, "reportbug" works.

garry@debian:~$ lsb_release -a
garry@debian:~$ reportbug
'other' to report a more general problem. If you don't know what package the bug
> libcdio18 (2.0.0-2) 
libcdio18 (2.0.0-2) is not a valid package name.
> libcdio18
*** Welcome to reportbug.  Use ? for help at prompts. ***
Note: bug reports are publicly archived (including the email address of the submitter).
Detected character set: UTF-8
Please change your locale if this is incorrect.

Using 'Bryan <myemail@mungedit.nowhere>' as your from address.
Getting status for libcdio18...
Checking for newer versions at madison...
Will send report to Debian (per lsb_release).
Querying Debian BTS for reports on libcdio (source)...
8 bug reports found:

Bugs with severity important
  1) #597730  Symbol conflict with libcdio10
  2) #891638  libcdio: CVE-2017-18201: double free inget_cdtext_generic() in lib/d
Bugs with severity normal
  3) #774267  libiso9660-8: segmentation fault
  4) #887640  SIGSEGVs in libcdio: double free or corruption
  5) #888053  libcdio-utils: cd-paranoia is absent from deb package at version 1.0
  6) #897327  libcdio-dev claims to be Multi-Arch: same but is not
Bugs with severity wishlist
  7) #703292  missing C++ libs, provides amount of time ago and missing in debian
  8) #749138  Conflicting return types of functions cdio_generic_read_form1_sector
(7-8/8) Is the bug you found listed above [y|N|b|m|r|q|s|f|e|?]? n
Maintainer for libcdio18 is 'Debian QA Group <packages@qa.debian.org>'.
This package seems to be currently "orphaned"; it also seems you're a bit
interested in this package, since you're reporting a bug against it, so you might
consider being involved in the package maintenance in Debian and/or adopting it.
Please be aware that your report may not be resolved for a while, because the
package seems to lack an active maintainer, but please GO ON and REPORT the bug,
if there is one. For more details, please see: http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/
Looking up dependencies of libcdio18...

Briefly describe the problem (max. 100 characters allowed). This will be the bug
email subject, so keep the summary as concise as possible, for example: "fails to
send email" or "does not start with -q option specified" (enter Ctrl+c to exit
reportbug without reporting a bug).
> 
reportbug: exiting due to user interrupt.
garry@debian:~$ 

I exited since I do not have the information needed, and it really is intended for the person reporting the bug, you are the only one that can give the details requested,....
When you install reportbug, you get a configuration script, that is used to set it up for your e-mail, etc,... if you can not send e-mail from your PC there is options for that, and it saves the report to a file that you can send in a e-mail. Pretty simple really.

jrv

#16 Post by jrv »

4D696B65 wrote:Did you install the Debian proper version?
Yes, synaptic found the right version, as really it must as long as the repositories are set up correctly. I did not re-install this particular package directly, but one of the other, higher-level packages that I re-installed must have brought it in.

JR

jrv

#17 Post by jrv »

GarryRicketson wrote: I exited since I do not have the information needed, and it really is intended for the person reporting the bug, you are the only one that can give the details requested,....
When you install reportbug, you get a configuration script, that is used to set it up for your e-mail, etc,... if you can not send e-mail from your PC there is options for that, and it saves the report to a file that you can send in a e-mail. Pretty simple really.
Thank you for the information. My fundamental problem at this point is that I don't know what package my problem comes from, if indeed the problem is in a package and not some mis-configuration. Now I have not changed any configuration myself but it is possible that some package I installed touched something.

At this point I have a physical symptom, two of my dvd reader/writers don't work with various programs they have worked with in the past, vlc, abcde, and k3b. I don't think the problem is with any of those packages per se. I thought I had the suspect package when I saw the change in a package that seemed to be about cdrom systems. That theory went out the window when I discovered that I had inadvertently installed the "suspect" package from debian multimedia, and I removed everything from that repository. Since I still have the problem I can only guess it was *not* due to that package.

What I am looking for now is ways to get more insight into where the problem is occurring and/or more specific information to pass on in the bug report. "DVD reader/writer does not work" somehow doesn't seem sufficient except as a headline, and that is nearly all I have. I have the few error messages I reported, but these seem to be at very high level. I know the dvd reader/writer thrashes now more than it usually does, but that really isn't much information either. I am hoping someone can suggest something further to look at for more information, e.g. a log, an increased verbose-ness level, or something.

JR

GarryRicketson

#18 Post by GarryRicketson »

Well let's start fresh then. I did notice in your first post, you mention 2 different DVD/writer programs,
---snip---abcde/cdparanoia can't rip audio discs. It reports errors like:
I have never heard of, and the other:

--Lastly I tried to write to a writable dvd using k3b, but it failed. It did not give a detailed explanation. 
So , now it is your turn, decide which one, you want to try to trouble shoot,
and concentrate on that, nothing else, and no others, and no more "How do I make a bug report ?" questions, this is the problem when people post multiple questions, the topic get's totally confusing, and goes no where.
So to start with, just give us the name of the DVD reader writer, that you want to use, but it does not work.
I am hoping someone can suggest something further to look at for more information, e.g. a log, an increased verbose-ness level, or something.
If you try to run k3b from the CLI (terminal), instead of the GUI, DE , it should show you more about the errors, Personally I don't use any of the GUI things for burning DVD's or CD's, generally they are not very reliable, and are a true headache to trouble shoot, but, sorry that is another topic as well,
This might be help full to you, I don't know:
https://wiki.debian.org/BurnCd
Also you have not told us anything about what Desktop Environment you use, we need to know that.
I can say, awhile back I tried k3b, and it did not work for me either, I got frustrated, and went back to just using the terminal, and commands, had no problems burning DVD's or CD's, either.
So any way, if k3b does not work, then maybe a bug report should/could be submitted, but let's see what errors show if you run it form a terminal.
If you are interested:
http://www.andrews-corner.org/linux/burning.html
Is pretty good as well.

GarryRicketson

#19 Post by GarryRicketson »

This is a example, I installed "abcde", and ran it from the terminal, there was no CD to mount, so it showed the message:

garry@debian:~$ abcde
[WARNING] something went wrong while querying the CD... Maybe a DATA CD or the CD is not loaded?
[WARNING] Error trying to calculate disc ids without lead-out information.
garry@debian:~$  
If you use the terminal, it will show the errors as they occur.

jrv

#20 Post by jrv »

GarryRicketson wrote:Well let's start fresh then. I did notice in your first post, you mention 2 different DVD/writer programs,
---snip---abcde/cdparanoia can't rip audio discs. It reports errors like:
I have never heard of, and the other:
abcde is a package that runs cdparanoia, which is also available as a separate package, to do the heavy lifting of actually reading discs.
GarryRicketson wrote: So , now it is your turn, decide which one, you want to try to trouble shoot,
and concentrate on that, nothing else, and no others, and no more "How do I make a bug report ?" questions, this is the problem when people post multiple questions, the topic get's totally confusing, and goes no where.
GarryRicketson wrote: So to start with, just give us the name of the DVD reader writer, that you want to use, but it does not work.
I will work with the USB DVD reader writer. It is a Samsung Portable DVD Writer Model SE-208

More IDs:
SE-208DB/TSBS F/W=MF00
R8X78YAFB00ZP NOVEMBER 2014
H/W:A Ver.DB
GarryRicketson wrote:
I am hoping someone can suggest something further to look at for more information, e.g. a log, an increased verbose-ness level, or something.
If you try to run k3b from the CLI (terminal), instead of the GUI, DE , it should show you more about the errors, Personally I don't use any of the GUI things for burning DVD's or CD's, generally they are not very reliable, and are a true headache to trouble shoot, but, sorry that is another topic as well,
On Jun 25, 2019 I ripped two music CDs using abcde and burned two data DVDs (backups) using k3b. In the past year I have ripped roughly 800 CDs and burned roughly 100 DVDs. On the Jun 26th I updated and upgraded my machine. After that I can no longer use my DVD reader/writers. I have never had any problem with either package. I have been using them at least once a week for years, and often daily.
GarryRicketson wrote: This might be help full to you, I don't know:
https://wiki.debian.org/BurnCd
I will point out that k3b (and xfburn) is listed as an alternative to the command line for burning discs on that page.

As an experiment I performed the instructions using command line tools. The directory I put in the .iso contains three small files. The resulting .iso turned out to be 376,832 bytes, i.e. it was very, very small.

genisoimage -v -J -r -V MY_DISK_LABEL -o /home/euterpe/file.iso /home/euterpe/tmp/triangle
I: -input-charset not specified, using utf-8 (detected in locale settings)
genisoimage 1.1.11 (Linux)
Scanning /home/euterpe/tmp/triangle
Using TRIAN000.SVG;1 for  /triangle.svg (triangle2.svg)
Writing:   Initial Padblock                        Start Block 0
Done with: Initial Padblock                        Block(s)    16
Writing:   Primary Volume Descriptor               Start Block 16
Done with: Primary Volume Descriptor               Block(s)    1
Writing:   Joliet Volume Descriptor                Start Block 17
Done with: Joliet Volume Descriptor                Block(s)    1
Writing:   End Volume Descriptor                   Start Block 18
Done with: End Volume Descriptor                   Block(s)    1
Writing:   Version block                           Start Block 19
Done with: Version block                           Block(s)    1
Writing:   Path table                              Start Block 20
Done with: Path table                              Block(s)    4
Writing:   Joliet path table                       Start Block 24
Done with: Joliet path table                       Block(s)    4
Writing:   Directory tree                          Start Block 28
Done with: Directory tree                          Block(s)    1
Writing:   Joliet directory tree                   Start Block 29
Done with: Joliet directory tree                   Block(s)    1
Writing:   Directory tree cleanup                  Start Block 30
Done with: Directory tree cleanup                  Block(s)    0
Writing:   Extension record                        Start Block 30
Done with: Extension record                        Block(s)    1
Writing:   The File(s)                             Start Block 31
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 423
Total directory bytes: 0
Path table size(bytes): 10
Done with: The File(s)                             Block(s)    3
Writing:   Ending Padblock                         Start Block 34
Done with: Ending Padblock                         Block(s)    150
Max brk space used 0
184 extents written (0 MB)
euterpe@euterpe:~/tmp$ cd ..
euterpe@euterpe:~$ ls *.iso
file.iso
euterpe@euterpe:~$ growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=2 -Z /dev/sr0=/home/euterpe/file.iso 
Executing 'builtin_dd if=/home/euterpe/file.iso of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0'
:-( unable to PERFORM OPC: Input/output error
/dev/sr0: "Current Write Speed" is 3.1x1352KBps.
          0/376832 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:?? RBU   1.2% UBU   0.0%
:-( unable to WRITE@LBA=0h: Input/output error
:-( write failed: Input/output error
euterpe@euterpe:~$ 
As best I read this, the result was less than successful. I can try some of the other tools on that page if you think it would provide more information. I chose genisoimage and growisofs arbitrarily.
GarryRicketson wrote: Also you have not told us anything about what Desktop Environment you use, we need to know that.
I am using xfce.
GarryRicketson wrote: I can say, awhile back I tried k3b, and it did not work for me either, I got frustrated, and went back to just using the terminal, and commands, had no problems burning DVD's or CD's, either.
So any way, if k3b does not work, then maybe a bug report should/could be submitted, but let's see what errors show if you run it form a terminal.
If you are interested:
http://www.andrews-corner.org/linux/burning.html
Is pretty good as well.
I have never had any problems with k3b. Based on the above command line experiment I will venture to guess that the problem is not with the gui. Just a guess though.

JR