Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Run battery diagnositcs on swollen battery Debian 10

Need help with peripherals or devices?
4joeyirosh1

Run battery diagnositcs on swollen battery Debian 10

#1 Post by 4joeyirosh1 »

Hi!I own a HP Pavilion 15-au106TU and have used it for the last 1.5 years.

Unfortunately,the battery looks slightly swollen yet it works perfectly with it fully charging to 100% when connected to adapter and taking approx 4 hours to discharge when not on adapter.

I am worried that it may explode while I am using the laptop destroying the whole machine.Should I replace the battery immediately even though it works perfectly or can I wait for a while doing the replacement or is a replacement even necessary for a perfectly working battery.Whats the worst case scenario if I leave the battery as it is?

Also,I know one of the biggest reasons for swollen batteries is overcharge.How is it that a battery can overcharge while modern laptops will stop charging the battery when it is fully charged and switch over to AC power while the laptop is plugged into an outlet.I keep my laptop always connected to outlet and only use battery power when there is power outage in my area.Is this a wise strategy or should I disconnect the adapter when battery is fully charged,wait for the battery to discharge then reconnect the adapter for another recharge?

I was planning to run some battery diagnostic.I have installed acpitools but when I run the acpi -V command it gives output -bash: acpi: command not found.How do I use the acpi tool and are there any other debian tools or commands to check battery health?Also when I boot the machine and press F2,there is only hard disk and memory diagnostics and no option for battery diagnostic.How can I run a battery diagnostic after boot?

Kindly advise on the questions posed.

Deb-fan

Re: Run battery diagnositcs on swollen battery Debian 10

#2 Post by Deb-fan »

Would dispose of it see. Have never encountered this but do know these batteries can burst into flames. Not worth risking your safety (home) and the equipment. If it did go at the very least would have to make a real mess of that system.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Ardouos

#3 Post by Ardouos »

Swollen batteries should not be used, period. It is not worth the risk. Dispose of it properly.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

4joeyirosh1

#4 Post by 4joeyirosh1 »

Moreover,whats the opinion of users of this forum over a question I posed earlier ie
Also,I know one of the biggest reasons for swollen batteries is overcharge.How is it that a battery can overcharge while modern laptops will stop charging the battery when it is fully charged and switch over to AC power while the laptop is plugged into an outlet.I keep my laptop always connected to outlet and only use battery power when there is power outage in my area.Is this a wise strategy or should I disconnect the adapter when battery is fully charged,wait for the battery to discharge then reconnect the adapter for another recharge?

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by Hallvor »

This is a good article, but not explicitly answering your question:

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php ... _batteries
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Deb-fan

#6 Post by Deb-fan »

My understanding is they have safety circuits built in to prevent overcharging anyway. So keeping a battery plugged in shouldn't matter but if those safe guards were to fail, obviously presents a danger. You'd mentioned you hadn't used that system in like 1.5yrs. Believe completely draining a battery can also cause serious issues. Been awhile since I've reviewed best practices for long term battery storage though.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by Hallvor »

Correct, but "storing" a battery at 100% for a long time is a bad idea. The optimal storage percentage is 40 for litium-ion batteries.

(Thinkpads let you set battery charging thresholds, making it easier to maintain battery health.)

I would just unplug the battery if I wasn't using it for a long time. Other than that: Batteries are meant to be used and replaced.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Deb-fan

#8 Post by Deb-fan »

Again been awhile, vaguely think remember that stored batteries tend to lose about 10% charge a month. Also think those safe safety circuits can kick in when a batt is totally depleted and believe when they do, they actually are designed to destroy the battery. Though same time like everything else battery technology has been improving. Rated for xyz amount of charge/discharge cycles and afterwards you have an ailing battery. While newer stuff is smart enough to know the % involved, a 90% charged battery, charged to 100% doesn't count as a full recharge cycle.

Then you've got the inevitable outside factors that come in to it. ie: The quality of the brand and if it's actually from that brand or it could be some cheap Chinese knockoff that's pirated goods bought off ebay. Needless to say people involved in such activity are mainly concerned with profits and consumer safety and quality of product can take a serious backseat to their main concern of them making more money.

Either way OP, as many folks have said, would get rid of that battery, as it clearly isn't worth the inherent risks involved. ie: Coming home and your place is on fire etc.

theblueplll

#9 Post by theblueplll »

It might be ok and it might not.
Is it worth the risk?

To me it isn't worth the problems it could cause.