Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Network printer- Canon IR-adv 4225 - Not printing

Need help with peripherals or devices?
rameshiyer

Network printer- Canon IR-adv 4225 - Not printing

#1 Post by rameshiyer »

I was not able take printout from my Canon Network printer installed in my office. There is no prompt for ID and Password in Debain 9 Gnome. In windows I have to provide department id and password for taking printout. The printer is secured by id and password. Without authentication i cannot take a single printout.

Even after my trail and error method, I haven't succeed to take any printout from my network printer. (Canon iR-ADV 4225). The printer is a Canon IR (image runner) Advance 4225 is connected to socket :\\192.168.1.28 and port No. 9100.

I can add the my printer and by searching for network printers. I have also installed v3.70 canon printer driver (deb. 64 bit). As advised by debian wiki, I have installed 32 bit files. However, no use.

The printer shows up, and I can apparently send it print jobs, and it reports having completed them. While sending print job, the printer responds. Data LED blinks. However, nothing prints. I have checked Canon Printer log. It shows NG 701. ( Related to authentication)

I am required to take print out my network printer. Now I feel fish out of water. I cannot do more with my limited knowledge. I am end user. Please help me with simple solutions. I would be grateful to all of you if i could take print out my network printer. I like very much linux. However, now I am struggling without printer support. I have lot of trail and error method after googling.

shep

Re: Network printer- Canon IR-adv 4225 - Not printing

#2 Post by shep »

This in part depends on how the printer is setup at your workplace. I'm guessing it is on an NT domain and you will need to authenticate via samba.

See
https://wiki.debian.org/SystemPrinting#CUPS_and_Samba
Note that there is an update

Once samba is installed, you can test for access with

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/smbclient -L {Server_IP} -U {ad.domain.name.com}/{domain_username}
If you use samba, you need to use the samba protocol to address the printer rather than the discovered dnsdd
This thread died but the reason the thread's Original Post did not get answered is that dnssd does not use the samba protocol.
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1694295

rameshiyer

#3 Post by rameshiyer »

It is nothing do with Samba. Our server is running on Linux. It is connected to dedicated IP address. Only printer authentication is required.

shep

#4 Post by shep »

According to openprinting, the Canon IR ADV 4225 supports Canon's version of postscript - it should not really need any drivers or 32bit libaries. When selecting printer drivers there is a "raw" option.
https://www.openprinting.org/printer/Ca ... _4225_4235
You can also run into issues when you double filter a job.

If that does not work, verify with your admin that you are allowed to print to the cups server, whether you need authentication (kerberos?), if the printer uses ipp;// or a jetdirect socket;//xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9100 and verify that you can ping the socket.
Last edited by shep on 2019-07-07 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

rameshiyer

#5 Post by rameshiyer »

Sir, It is connected to jet socket:\\192.168.1.28:9100. I have checked the status of my print given from Debian by logging into Canon Printer . it shows error code NG (701). On googling the error code,I came to know that it was related to printer authentication. In Windows machine, anybody can take print out by just giving the departmental code and password. Hence I feel there is no other restriction. My administrator of Server also tried several times to print from Debian and also Ubuntu. The window shows that the print is completed. However, no output from the printer. It it not showing any pop up windows for entering id and password . I made many try by trail and error method, but all in vain. How to solve this issue with my limited knowledge? Kindly advise .

shep

#6 Post by shep »

If the problem is authentication, it will depend on how your admin set it up.
Was it setup with Kerberos?
https://www.cups.org/doc/kerberos.html

Or with lppasswd?
From this cups site:
https://www.unix-ninja.com/p/CUPS_Print ... Mini-HOWTO
If only selected client machines are allowed to print on a certain CUPS server/printer, a user who is root on such a client can export the printer to clients who are not allowed by creating a queue which uses the ipp backend to point to the restricted printer on the server and sharing this queue to everyone else. So the admin must trust the users at the machines to which he exports printers or not allow them to be root on the client. Replacing a client by a machine with faked MAC address is still possible. The "ipp" backend cannot be simply removed, as it is needed for a CUPS client to talk to a CUPS server when printing through a queue broadcasted by the server.

Access cannot only be restricted per-network or per-machine but also per-user. For user-wise access restrictions the "AuthType" and "AuthClass" rules are used.

"AuthType" can be "None" (no per-user access restriction, no login/password required), "Basic" (permitted users can access with their usual Unix login/password on the server), or "Digest" (CUPS has its own user accounts defined with the "lppasswd" command).

NOTE:

"AuthType Basic" cannot be used if CUPS is configured so that it drops its root privileges directly after being started ("RunAsUser Yes" in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, default setting in SuSE). Then CUPS does not have access to /etc/shadow any more and a user-based authentication is only possible if CUPS has its own passwords. This means that in this case "AuthType Digest" has to be used and passwords have to be defined with "lppasswd".
It is also possible to setup a samba server on a linux system
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CU ... ows_client.

I would see if your network admin can give you more info. Otherwise we are just shooting in the dark.

rameshiyer

#7 Post by rameshiyer »

i am helpless. No help from my administrator. I cannot do anything more. Shall I install Debian buster and see how things works ?.