Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Boot error msg after installing nVidia drivers

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Zosimos

Boot error msg after installing nVidia drivers

#1 Post by Zosimos »

After searching quite a bit (with Google since it works better) I have seen similar error messages, but not quite the same situation. After installing the nvidia-driver package on my new Devuan install (Stretch cmpatible) I am seeing an error mesage on boot, but apparently it has no consequences. "Error running install command for nvidia" That's the very first thing that appears every time the system boots. Yet the video driver seems to work perfectly. I am suspecting that the installer left something behind that should have been deleted after a successful install. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a simple way to tell a Debian system to purge old installer stuff without completely removing something that was installed? There is a thread about this in the Devuan forum, too, but it's a smaller community. Was hoping someone here might know something.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Boot error msg after installing nVidia drivers

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Use the systemd journal to find the exact error message and enter it into a search engine.

I think the syslog can be used instead for Devuan.
deadbang

Zosimos

#3 Post by Zosimos »

Cannot find the message in syslog or other logs available in /var/log. There is no bootlog that I can find. The Debian wiki seems to be out of date with regard to how the logging of boot message is controlled.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

I don't know if this can be applied to other distros or not, but it might be worth looking at: https://wiki.debian.org/bootlogd
==== edit ====
Also: http://go2linux.garron.me/bootlogd-to-r ... -messages/

Seems to be a lot of info on this in my search results.
Keywords:

Code: Select all

How to get boot logs on Debian 
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2019-07-07 01:55, edited 1 time in total.

Segfault

#5 Post by Segfault »

Did you miss that little fact our OP is running Devuan? Obviously there will be no systemd logging daemons.

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

No I am not missing that, but I do agree, the Debian wiki applies to Debian, but who knows on other distros ? and I said:
Post by GarryRicketson » 2019-07-06 20:48
I don't know if this can be applied to other distros or not, but it might be worth looking
So the Debian wiki probably does not apply, however, "bootlogd" can be utilzed and used, regardless , if it is systemd or
Prior to Wheezy you activate bootlogd by editing /etc/default/bootlogd, this is not enabled by default:

# Run bootlogd at startup ?
BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=yes 
When the system is restarted, userspace messages will be logged to /var/log/boot.
But in any event, I apologize for even trying to help on this.
And, do you have any use full suggestions for the OP ?
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2019-07-07 03:01, edited 1 time in total.

Segfault

#7 Post by Segfault »

Yes, Devuan has it's own forums, why not go and ask Devuan questions there.

Edit: Regarding nVidia blob, the first question would be what nVidia card is it. Not all drivers work with all cards. https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

Does Devuan also not have "dmesg" ? Sometimes that is use full as well,
From: http://go2linux.garron.me/bootlogd-to-r ... -messages/You can also check /var/log/dmesg on Debian, or use the dmesg command, when using this command use also grep, to filter the output.

Zosimos

#9 Post by Zosimos »

Well, as I said, it's a fairly small community. The Debian community is much larger, and the two distros still have quite a bit in common.

I've run across another thread in the Devuan forum about this problem, and someone suggested commenting out a line in the etc/modeprobe.d/modprobe.conf file, although that is replaced by another file when the nvidia drivers are installed. This file is now "alternatives/glx--nvidia-modprobe.conf". Unfortunately, the original poster did not return to report if this change worked. Here is the content of that file on my system. Does anything look unnecessary when the drivers are already installed?

install nvidia modprobe -i nvidia-current $CMDLINE_OPTS

install nvidia-modeset modprobe nvidia ; modprobe -i nvidia-current-modeset $CMDLINE_OPTS

install nvidia-drm modprobe nvidia-modeset ; modprobe -i nvidia-current-drm $CMDLINE_OPTS

install nvidia-uvm modprobe nvidia ; modprobe -i nvidia-current-uvm $CMDLINE_OPTS

remove nvidia modprobe -r -i nvidia-drm nvidia-modeset nvidia-uvm nvidia

remove nvidia-modeset modprobe -r -i nvidia-drm nvidia-modeset

# These aliases are defined in *all* nvidia modules.
# Duplicating them here sets higher precedence and ensures the selected
# module gets loaded instead of a random first match if more than one
# version is installed. See #798207.
alias	pci:v000010DEd00000E00sv*sd*bc04sc80i00*	nvidia
alias	pci:v000010DEd00000AA3sv*sd*bc0Bsc40i00*	nvidia
alias	pci:v000010DEd*sv*sd*bc03sc02i00*		nvidia
alias	pci:v000010DEd*sv*sd*bc03sc00i00*		nvidia