Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Improve memory usage in Debian

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Deb-fan

Re: Improve memory usage in Debian

#81 Post by Deb-fan »

Yeah just delete that cache pressure deal (remove it from the sysctl.config file and reboot)
and have always seen setting swappiness to 10 as the recommendation for swappiness for personal computing gnu/nix users. Lol.. thought you'd threw up your hands on this thread long ago. :) Also long since have considered noscript an essential tweak. Looks like you've come a long way in getting memory use under control.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

PsySc0rpi0n

#82 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

Deb-fan wrote:Yeah just delete that cache pressure deal (remove it from the sysctl.config file and reboot)
and have always seen setting swappiness to 10 as the recommendation for swappiness for personal computing gnu/nix users. Lol.. thought you'd threw up your hands on this thread long ago. :) Also long since have considered noscript an essential tweak. Looks like you've come a long way in getting memory use under control.
yeah, indeed.

But about vm.swappiness setting, even though the command
sudo swapon --show
shows 50 as output, this setting in sysctl.conf will override it?

Deb-fan

#83 Post by Deb-fan »

Yeah should, next time the system is rebooted. Can do so on a running system too I just don't remember the command to do so off the top. Seems you've zero'ed in on your culprit. A browser using 5gbs?! Seems browser makers have adopted an oh you have some free memory, I'll take that attitude. Yikes.

Head_on_a_Stick

#84 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Deb-fan wrote:Can do so on a running system too I just don't remember the command to do so off the top.

Code: Select all

E485:~# sysctl vm.swappiness
vm.swappiness = 60
E485:~# sysctl vm.swappiness=10
vm.swappiness = 10
vm.swappiness = 10
E485:~#
Or

Code: Select all

E485:~# cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
E485:~# echo 60 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
E485:~# cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness       
vm.swappiness = 60
E485:~#
deadbang

PsySc0rpi0n

#85 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

Thanks.
Done...

I can't reboot right now because I have rtorrent running downloading an huge torrent (316Gb) and if I close rtorrent, then next time I start it, it will start hashing that data and as this data is on a shared drive which is not physically connected to my laptop (it's shared via wireless), it will take ages to hash_check. Son, when the torrent is finished, I'll restart!

Deb-fan

#86 Post by Deb-fan »

^ Good deal and thanks HOAS was being too lazy to Google. :)

sickpig

#87 Post by sickpig »

@Hallvor and kde fans, i just figured out y kde sucks.
tried it and i c kwin continuously uses 12% cpu, wtf?
openbox zero cpu usage

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#88 Post by Hallvor »

sickpig wrote:@Hallvor and kde fans, i just figured out y kde sucks.
tried it and i c kwin continuously uses 12% cpu, wtf?
openbox zero cpu usage
Yes, KDE sucks. I have just found it to suck a little less than the others.

Kwin is a compositing window manager, Openbox is a stacking window manager. You are comparing pears with oranges.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compositi ... w_managers

Try running Compiz for a comparison that makes sense.
Last edited by Hallvor on 2019-07-14 12:20, edited 2 times in total.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

sickpig

#89 Post by sickpig »

My interest was piqued after your posts in favour of kde. So decided to try it. M sure it would be great with with a WM which is not such a cpu hog.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#90 Post by Hallvor »

To each his own. I prefer a window manager that doesn't risk making the entire screen freeze if an application is unresponsive.
Last edited by Hallvor on 2019-07-14 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Deb-fan

#91 Post by Deb-fan »

My dang gnu-nix forum bug has reared its ugly head again! Had to Google Kwin(KDE windows manager, transitioning into a Wayland compositor.) Gotta agree with Hallvor, like comparing pears to oranges, when you've never eaten an orange and already much prefer pears anyway. Someone would have to actually use xyz DE/WM and get somewhat familiar with them, before they can even form a valid opinion.

Ten mins of playing with one of them realistically doesn't cut it or give the chance to find out what they can do. What can be done to or with them. Doesnt matter I guess we all have plenty of choices.

sickpig

#92 Post by sickpig »

No what? Xorg makes the screen freeze not the wm.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#93 Post by Hallvor »

sickpig wrote:No what? Xorg makes the screen freeze not the wm.

Since you did not read the link:
With a stacking manager, the repainting process can become corrupted when a program that is slow, unresponsive or buggy does not respond to messages in a timely manner.[5][6] A malicious program can cause the system to appear unstable by simply neglecting to repaint its window. Then, one or more of the following conditions may result:

a clipped window does not repaint uncovered regions, resulting in either blank spaces or a "trail" left behind from another window
portions of windows (such as decorative drop shadows) are left behind and not properly painted over
the mouse pointer is corrupted[7][unreliable source]
screen updates become unbearably slow[8]
the entire screen freezes until the program either responds or is terminated[9]

With a compositing manager, if a window stops repainting itself when requested by the window manager, its last repaint will remain displayed and the window might be dimmed. Often the title changes to reflect the status of the window as unresponsive. A program may prevent its window from being moved or unmapped, but generally will not cause repainting problems.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compositi ... w_managers

Anything wrong with that?

sickpig

#94 Post by sickpig »

No, both kwin and openbox r stacking wms. I think compositing makes kwin such a cpu hog.

Deb-fan

#95 Post by Deb-fan »

Don't take Wikipedia as an authority. Have never seen such behavior from openbox or any wm/de I've used. Though would be easy enough to remedy on any of them too. If anything sounds like a gpu-vid driver situation and would have say big DE's would be more prone to such because they're inherently more complex. Though get tons of dev attention too, shrugs. Nobody has to really mess with openbox either though, it's been rock solid so long. No reason for major rewrites.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#96 Post by Hallvor »

I used Openbox for about six months a few years ago, and I encountered several problems with repainting. Mind you, this was not on Debian, so the applications were less tested, but issues such as these are real.

Sickpig: It is compositing by default, but it can be turned off. Yes, compositing will eat CPU. Have you tried installing Compiz to see how it compares to Kwin with compositing on?

sickpig

#97 Post by sickpig »

No I haven't. I don't need compositing to be productive. I was just drawn into the whole DE coolaid, nd was impressed by kde videos on utube and of course u saying it's not resource intensive. I agree kde looks great. But the constant background CPU usage irritates me.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#98 Post by Hallvor »

You should have turned compositing off, then. But by all means, stick with what you like best.

Deb-fan

#99 Post by Deb-fan »

Really starting to look like you guys should do pistols @ dawn + 10 paces thing. :D Messing round fellas. Compositioning will make a difference. Though he's mentioned it can be turned off. Same for plenty of other things, components and services in an out-of-box can be really heavy DE. They can be tweaked. Whereas with something like openbox, in my view much more about what x-person chooses to install and mainly tweaking the underlying operating system. Same time a totally plain Jane openbox, without some good customization applied is hideously bare and desolate. This is coming from a guy whose strongly considering getting rid of the openbox right click menu,never use it anymore. :)
Last edited by Deb-fan on 2019-07-14 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

sickpig

#100 Post by sickpig »

Hmm, yes I agree. I shall try that tomorrow. Now watches finals :)