Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Buster desktop no loading after installation

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
brolly

Debian Buster desktop no loading after installation

#1 Post by brolly »

Hello good people. I wonder if you can help. I have attempted installing buster using the standard installer with a firmware usb. I have also tried the non-free XFCE live ISO. The issue i face is the installation process both for the standard ISO and Non free ISO complete successfully. When i boot the system after using the standard ISO the desktop doesn't load. I am greeted with a black screen with a cursor flashing on the top left of the screen. The live ISO installation boots into a black screen with white panels but no items on the panels. I have tried using a number of boot parameters including going into advanced options, adding non-free repositories and installing AMD drivers from there. I have resorted to using Antix 19 beta which seems to be very stable. I am keen to migrate to Debian but the installation issue is what is holding me back. My system model and specs are as follows:

HP 15-bw036na 15.6" Multimedia Laptop AMD A12, 12GB RAM,
2TB HDD. AMD A12-9720P / 2.7 GHz Max Turbo Speed 3.6 GHz Quad Core Processor
12GB RAM, 2TB HDD
15.6 HD Display (1366 x 768) Resolution
Integrated AMD Radeon R7 Graphics

Thank you in advance

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Debian Buster desktop no loading after installation

#2 Post by arochester »

This has been asked and answered many times on this forum. You could have started with the search box at the top left. Something like: black screen AMD Radeon

It's a graphics problem. Look here: https://mike42.me/blog/2018-01-how-to-u ... n-debian-9

brolly

#3 Post by brolly »

arochester wrote:This has been asked and answered many times on this forum. You could have started with the search box at the top left. Something like: black screen AMD Radeon

It's a graphics problem. Look here: https://mike42.me/blog/2018-01-how-to-u ... n-debian-9
Ive tried that method in the advanced options section in the bootloader and it didn't work. That's why i posted on this forum

nyu-98

#4 Post by nyu-98 »

I have a similar problem with the mate desktop, i tried those parameters and none works.
So i installed the kernel 4.9 from stretch and works. the problem is the kernel 4.19.

brolly

#5 Post by brolly »

nyu-98 wrote:I have a similar problem with the mate desktop, i tried those parameters and none works.
So i installed the kernel 4.9 from stretch and works. the problem is the kernel 4.19.
Good point but what's interesting is Antix uses the same kernel and it works flawlessly. MX gave me headaches with a frozen desktop on bootup using kernel 4.19. I hope this bug is squashed soon

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

brolly wrote:I have tried using a number of boot parameters including going into advanced options, adding non-free repositories and installing AMD drivers from there.
The non-free component of the repositories doesn't contain any AMD drivers, please post exactly what you have installed and also list the exact boot parameters you have tried (along with the output of cat /proc/cmdline to confirm they were applied).
deadbang

oldman43

#7 Post by oldman43 »

I had a similar problem: Debian 10(Buster)-Desktop didn't load with several machines, with others it did. I've fixed this problem following the link posted by arochester. It's obvious a graphics problem.
(Thanks a lot, arochester, for the helpful link!)