Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to install Gnome from debian 10 base system?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
kcbagr

How to install Gnome from debian 10 base system?

#1 Post by kcbagr »

I tried install Debian 10 from netinstall CD. But every time I tried following the prompt to pick a mirror and configure the package manager the install hanged and froze never to recover.

So I installed Debian 10 base system without mirror/package-manager config. I now have booted to a command line. How do I install Gnome from here. I tried running apt search gnome, gnome-desktop, etc but there is no files named that. What do I do?

kcbagr

Re: How to install Gnome from debian 10 base system?

#2 Post by kcbagr »

Is there a bug in debian or something The mirrors don't work because "architecture not supported"

What is going on?

Deb-fan

#3 Post by Deb-fan »

No it's not a bug, guessing you just find yourself totally out of your depth. That's what you end up with when you do a minimal base install, the cli. Waiting for you to install and setup what's necessary to get the OS where you want it to be. If you don't have networking working during the install process, don't choose a mirror/sources. Then you have to figure out which packages are needed to get the internet working, what drivers-firmware the computer needs to work properly. Then install them in one of few methods, ie: Download and install from a usb thumbdrive etc. Used another gnu/Linux OS on the system that was already setup to download and install software to the OS missing packages.

Have more than once used another distro's iso in live session, which did support my wireless/internet out-of-box and then chrooted a Debian install to be able to install the packages needed to get the system working. Also have many times had to manually populate sources aka: /etc/apt/sources.list with the correct repositories. Because I hadn't had internet during the install, nor the packages needed to get some of the systems hardware working properly. What do you have in the sources.list file ? Did you use an iso with non-free ? Anyway long way of saying, doing a minimal base install is not something newish user friendly. Someone needs to research and learn what they're doing and it's well documented online. At least the information is readily available. From there it's on you to apply and experiment. Until you get it down.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

kcbagr wrote:I tried install Debian 10 from netinstall CD. But every time I tried following the prompt to pick a mirror and configure the package manager the install hanged and froze never to recover.
Did you try switching to TTY4 to check the error messages? Did the installer manage to connect to the interweb beforehand?

Sounds like you may have had a bad image (or USB stick), did you check the validity after downloading it? What method did you use to transfer the image to the USB stick? See also https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=775689

If you installed without selecting a mirror then /etc/apt/sources.list will only contain entries for the CD/DVD so you need to add a mirror and connect your machine to the interweb before updating the package database and installing stuff.

Once you have done that use this to install your desktop of choice:

Code: Select all

# apt install tasksel
# tasksel
But you should probably reinstall with a working ISO image because there may be more problems caused by the bad image.
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

kcbagr wrote:Is there a bug in debian or something The mirrors don't work because "architecture not supported"

What is going on?
Maybe if you told us what architecture your hardware actually is and what architecture you selected for the CD image you downloaded, also if the base system can connect you should be able to install gnome with 'tasksel' as suggested.
Or even just 'apt install gnome'
Of course, as mentioned all ready , your sources.list needs to be pointing to a working mirror. Have you tried reading any of the documentation on installing Debian ?
It is important that you do read some of it before trying to install, even more so if you have never installed a OS before.

kcbagr

#6 Post by kcbagr »

I have an Intel NUC8i5BEK.

I selected the AMD64 netinstl. I run through the expert graphic installer and have zero problems with any of the installation except for the mirror part. Every mirror comes back as a bad mirror message or a architecture not supported message.

If I run through the installer without selecting a mirror, then the system installs okay. And I have internet. But I wasn't sure how exactly to input the "grammar" of the mirror cause I notice that the format doesn't stay exactly the same across releases and sometimes is worded a little differently. But I might have the same mirror problem here as well. I pulled the ethernet cable on the NUC and plugged it into a laptop running Debian 9. No problems with the internet. And if I install Ubuntu 18.04 netinstl, I have zero problems with the install and zero problems with the mirrors and internet.

Deb-fan

#7 Post by Deb-fan »

^Helps to mention such info in your 1st post. If sources are bare. The correct sources.list entries is a simple Google search(include non-free). Seen many a website that will generate best sources for someone. They just have to answer which nix release and what repos to include. Having an iso with the correct drivers-firmware or having them on an media onhand ready to be installed etc. Am not the person to ask about NUC's. My starting place to see about it would be Google. "installing Debian on Intel nuc*" and similar.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#8 Post by arochester »

Interesting if you search
Linux Intel NUC8i5BEK.
Have you seen Troubleshooting Linux* Issues on Intel® NUCs - https://www.intel.me/content/www/xr/ar/ ... i-pcs.html

kcbagr

#9 Post by kcbagr »

Continuing to dig it appears to be absence of driver with Ethernet. Debian netinstl lists a long list to choose from. Anyone know how to go about finding the correct driver?

NUC8i5BEK doesn't list specifics on the web that I can find:

Intel Ethernet Connection I219-V
Intel Gigabit Ethernet

I'm in the graphical install on debian where it asks to pick a driver. Does anyone know how to identify the correct driver?

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

kcbagr wrote:I wasn't sure how exactly to input the "grammar" of the mirror cause I notice that the format doesn't stay exactly the same across releases and sometimes is worded a little differently
Use the redirector: http://deb.debian.org/
kcbagr wrote:Does anyone know how to identify the correct driver?
Identify the device then ask the interweb.
deadbang

kcbagr

#11 Post by kcbagr »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
kcbagr wrote:Does anyone know how to identify the correct driver?
Identify the device then ask the interweb.
Sure, this is easy to do with an installed OS. But what about my situation? A brand new box that has never had an OS on it. I'm TRYING to install the OS. How do I find out the ethernet driver from within the netinstl so that I can install the OS? And if this can't be done from within the netinstl, is there some other way?

kcbagr

#12 Post by kcbagr »

Ugh, I'm probably going to have to install Ubuntu. I'd rather use Debian though.

In the future, if anyone knows a fix for the bad mirror/mirror doesn't support architecture messages, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, if anyone thinks providing the ethernet driver (I think it's going to be e1000e) during the installation process might fix this mirror/architecture problem, can you please advise where I get the driver from and how exactly I prepare it for delivery during the installation screens?