Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian10 amd64 - EPSON scanner detection and save failure

Need help with peripherals or devices?
viking54

Debian10 amd64 - EPSON scanner detection and save failure

#1 Post by viking54 »

I just upgraded to Debian 10 "Buster" a few days ago and trying to get my scanner on an EPSON WF-2760 DWF (MFP) to work again. Either the scanner is not recognized or if yes, the scanned picture isn't handed over to the frontend (Imagescan (Epson), Simple Scan, gscan2pdf). The MFP is connected through USB and fixed WLAN address

One key missing item is the LIBJPEG8, which is not available on the Debian repositories

In details:
1. The scanner was properly working under Debian 8 and later 9 until I received the upgrade to Debian 10 last week. Even on Debian 9.x the Epson Imagescan v3 (imagescan-bundle-debian-8-1.1.15.x64.deb) was working fine for me.
2. With the upgrade to Debian 10 the scanner wasn't working any more. Checking through Scanimage -L and Sane-Find-Scanner the scanner wasn't recognized any more. I deleted Imagescan completely and rebooted the system. No positive result.
3. Looking for new version of Imagescan on the EPSON pages, found the Debian 9 version (imagescan-bundle-debian-9-3.57.0.x64.deb) and installed it using GDebi. With the EPSON network plugin the scanner was found by the named tools.

Code: Select all

Scanimage -L
device `imagescan:esci:usb:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb3/3-1/3-1.4/3-1.4:1.0' is a EPSON EPSON_WF-2760_Series 

Code: Select all

Sane-Find-Scanner
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x111c [EPSON WF-2760 Series]) at libusb:001:006
4. Trying to use the scanner resulted in scanning, but no handover from the scanner (or backend) to the frontend (Simple Scan and gscan2pdf. The frontend reported the error message "Operation was cancelled"

The new EPSON Imagescan v3 manual says in the installation section, that libjpeg8 is required, instead of libjpeg6 beforehand.

Using a Vbox Ubuntu 18.04 LTS I recognized, after installation of SANE and gscan2pdf the scanner was recognized, scanning and saving to disk works fine without problems. Furtheron Epson Imagescan v3 is not required. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS has libjpeg8 installed.

My system details: Debian GNU/Linux Version 10 (buster) 64-bit, Kernal Linux 4.19.0.5-amd64 x86_64, Mate 1.20.4 on a ASUS Vivo PC with 11,6 GB RAM and Intel Core i5-333

ruwolf

Re: Debian10 amd64 - EPSON scanner detection and save failur

#2 Post by ruwolf »

libjpeg8 is currently only in unstable distribution of Debian...

viking54

#3 Post by viking54 »

Thanks for answer, but I'm not going to install unstable programs. Even though it seems to be in the stable repository of Ubuntu.

Looking onto my Laptop with Debian 9 installed and installing sane (sane, xsane and gscan2pdf) without any USB connection. The scanner was properly found by Xsane as
EPSON PID 111C
and can be used with flatbed and ADF scans.

This means Debian10 should be able to find the scanner, but it doesn't. I checked, Imagescan v3 is properly uninstalled and even ran through a complete reinstall (with uninstall, reboot, check and new install) of the scanner products mentioned above. But without success, also without USB connection

So where is the problem why the scanner on the network isn't found?

ruwolf

#4 Post by ruwolf »

On the SANE: Supported Devices: Epson I have found, that it needs non-free iscan-network-nt package, which I have found here: support.Epson.net: Linux Scanner Driver Download, I see no such dependencies (libjpeg8) there...

viking54

#5 Post by viking54 »

Thanks, I know about them and have downloaded the Debian 9 - version already. There is no Debian 10 version so far. I tested the Debian 9 version of Imagescan 3 together with their network plugin, results see in the initial post.
It even says on the sane-homepage under supported devices that the Epson network plugin is required. Nevertheless under Debian 9 the sane-package works fine without the network-plugin (which requires the Imagescan-bundle to be installed prior).
I see no such dependencies (libjpeg8) there...
The requirement for libjpeg8 can only be found within the manual for Imagescan 3

arzgi

#6 Post by arzgi »

viking54 wrote: There is no Debian 10 version so far.
Really? https://www.debian.org/News/2019/20190706

ruwolf

#7 Post by ruwolf »

viking54 wrote:Thanks, I know about them and have downloaded the Debian 9 - version already. There is no Debian 10 version so far.
Debian 10 version of what are you talking about?
There is written:

viking54

#8 Post by viking54 »

Thanks for the quick answers.
@arzgi:
I wasn't writing about Debian 10 as such, the problems described relate to the Debian10 version of Imagescan v3.

@ruwolf:
Through the support pages from the Epson main site I was guided to the following page:
http://support.epson.net/linux/en/imagescanv3.php
I didn't know there is still an iscan version from Epson available. Will test the Epson iscan v1 beginning of next week. I also recognized there are changes made in the manual for Imagescan v3 while keeping the date 2015.10.20 in the top of the manual. I hold two downloaded versions, both contain the same section 6.1.4 (see snapshot). But it's different to the version you're pointing at.

viking54

#9 Post by viking54 »

I fixed it with iscan (iscan-bundle-1.0.0-x64.deb.tar.gz) as proposed by ruwolf. Thanks for the help, the only question remaining is why Epson is pointing through the support search to Imagescan instead of iscan.

The scanner is working through USB connection after restart, both sane-find-scanner and scanimage -L report the scanner as found with the correct data.