Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10 & AMD Ryzen 3 2200G

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Zoot
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

Debian 10 & AMD Ryzen 3 2200G

#1 Post by Zoot »

Is anyone here using Debian 10 on Ryzen? Are there any kernel boot options required? Any problems? I'm curious from hearing from somebody here.

I have a Ryzen 3 2200G in my home media server which currently runs Windows, and I'm toying with installing Debian 10 on it instead. I haven't used any flavor of Linux in years now, although Squeeze & Jessie were my daily desktop systems for a few years. However, I'm interested in jumping back into on the Debian server side of things this time.

The server runs Plex, Radarr, Sonarr, qBittorrent/Deluge and also acts as a backup NAS for me. I know I can do all of these on Debian, I'm just interested in hearing from anyone here if there's any pitfalls with Ryzen & Debian 10.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Debian 10 & AMD Ryzen 3 2200G

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I have Debian buster with a Ryzen 5 2500u and the only problems are with the crappy Lenovo firmware on the laptop, I need ivrs_ioapic[32]=00:14.0 to get the graphics card working and ivrs_ioapic[33]=00:0.1 to get the SD card reader working. Everything else is fine and I can get >30W TDP under Linux, which is better than Windows can manage.
deadbang

Zoot
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#3 Post by Zoot »

Thanks, that's re-assuring considering the 2200G is pretty much same hardware-wise.

There's no SD card obviously, and graphics wouldn't bother me too much, I'll probably skip out on installing a Desktop Environment and just ssh into it since it's a headless server anyway.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

To clarify: the graphics & SD card problems are because of the firmware on my E485 laptop, Lenovo don't support Linux on this device and can't be bothered fixing their broken ACPI table. I should have bought the A285 instead but I'm too tight.
deadbang

Zoot
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#5 Post by Zoot »

Just to update this thread on the off-chance anyone finds it and is curious how I got on.

I upgraded the CPU to an R5 2600 and installed Buster. As far as I can tell, everything works just fine with the default 4.19 kernel Buster uses. I had thought I might need the newer kernel from backports, but it seems I don't.

I've set it up without a GUI since it's a headless server and it's running wonderfully. It's a much more elegant setup than Windows without the cost or license issues.

Delighted to be back in the Debian world again after an absence of 7/8 years.