Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Options for those not wanting systemd as Wheezy EOL looms

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
eor2004

Re: Options for those not wanting systemd as Wheezy EOL loom

#81 Post by eor2004 »

Lysander wrote: EDIT: It would be good to include a little more info on MX Linux here from those who have used it

e.g.
- How easy [or not] is it to install?
- What package management system does it use?
- What distro is it based on?
- What DEs are available?
- Is there a wiki and a forum?
MX Linux is very good, I use it on a Lenovo T-61 laptop and everything works, it has even a Nvidia Quadro graphics card and it works perfect, it uses "apt-get" as package manager, the main desktop environment is xfce, I think they have KDE also but I'm not sure, maybe they have a couple more DE, they have a wiki and a forum, both are very good, very knowledgeable & kind people, it is based on Debían Stable but with a lot of "backports" as to have more up to date packages, the installer is relatively easy to use, not more difficult than installing buntu, linuxmint, or Debían, the installer is virtually the same as AntiX Linux and the long gone "Mepis Linux", in fact, this was the original installer AFAIK that Mepis Linux used. I remember when I used Mepis, it was a very beautiful KDE4 Debian based distro, it was the first distribution based on Debian that I used, it worked very good, I loved it.
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

Lysander

#82 Post by Lysander »

Thanks eor2004, but you are quoting a post which is nearly two years old. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then [for me at least], and my thanks as always go out to HuangLao for this thread and his relentless assistance both on this forum and off it.

Ironically enough, if anyone feels like discussing Slackware more, I'd be only too happy to try to help. Debian... I can't speak about so much these days!

stevepusser

#83 Post by stevepusser »

FWIW, it appears that the Buster-based MX 19 will still offer the option at boot to use a custom and updated systemd-shim to use sysvinit, or to to boot with systemd if you desire.

The only real trouble we're having is getting Buster's "compiz-reloaded" to work on the newer XFCE 4.14 pre-release we're testing. I tried rebuilding the compiz binaries against any newer MX 19 libraries, but it didn't help, nor did booting with systemd just to check. I know that compiz works fine in a vanilla Buster XFCE install in Virtual Box that I have.
MX Linux packager and developer

HuangLao

#84 Post by HuangLao »

Lysander wrote:Thanks eor2004, but you are quoting a post which is nearly two years old. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then [for me at least], and my thanks as always go out to HuangLao for this thread and his relentless assistance both on this forum and off it.

Ironically enough, if anyone feels like discussing Slackware more, I'd be only too happy to try to help. Debian... I can't speak about so much these days!
Aw shucks...You're most welcome kind sir. :D

edbarx

#85 Post by edbarx »

Since I have been not using pure Debian for some years, I would like to ask whether it is still possible to run Debian with virtually no limitations, but with PID 1 other than systemd. More specifically, is it still possible to have systemd installed, but having its init component not used?
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

pcalvert

#86 Post by pcalvert »

edbarx wrote:More specifically, is it still possible to have systemd installed, but having its init component not used?
Although I have not tried it, the answer to your question appears to be "yes".

See:
how to switch a Debian buster system from systemd to sys-v init
Knoppix 8.6 first wide public release to abandon systemd

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.