Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dependency failed for /boot LUKS on external USB drive after

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
temporpippo

Dependency failed for /boot LUKS on external USB drive after

#1 Post by temporpippo »

Please somebody help me :( after a firmware update my Debian Sid with encrypted LUKS root does not boot clean anymore.

At boot, after inserting my passphrase, there are a bunch of messages and a timeout for like 30 seconds, and then finally I receive some yellow and red warnings about "dependency failed for /boot" and "/boot/efi". I am prompted for the root password for a recovery shell. The crazy thing is that in this shell the filesystem is mounted correctly! But I cannot start GDM3 or network.

My laptop is a Thinkpad X280 on dual boot. On partition 3 there is Windows 10, then there are three system and recovery partitions for windows, and then partition 5 is an encrypted LUKS which contains a single ext4 partition with root filesystem (including home etc, no swap). The boot drive is an external USB key which has two partitions: one to be mounted at /boot and one to be mounted at /boot/efi. I need to plug the USB key and then power on the laptop in order to boot linux, but the BIOS automatically boots Windows if a USB boot drive is not found.

Today, on Debian Sid, I did a firmware update (1.29 I think) and I guess something wrong happened. The GRUB entry 4.19.0-5 does not work anymore (complains about a missing UUID and gives me the initramfs shell, but I didn't touch the partition table!) and the old 4.19.0-4 as explained above hangs on for 30 seconds and then prompts me for the recovery shell (where, oddly, partitions are indeed mounted correctly).

Windows 10 boots correctly.

Some relevant info:

uname -r

Code: Select all

4.19.0-4-amd64

lsblk -o name,uuid,mountpoint

NAME                UUID                                 MOUNTPOINT
sda                                                      
nvme0n1                                                  
├─nvme0n1p1         7C73-6F5A                            
├─nvme0n1p2                                              
├─nvme0n1p3         305C76675C76282C                     /media/windows
├─nvme0n1p4         FEA47899A478565D                     
└─nvme0n1p5         cb3c672b-efca-4dc5-8d2c-48e2b6bf5ebe 
  └─nvme0n1p5_crypt 624d89ed-ee58-42b9-a6c2-16bdb2bcecb8 /
```

/etc/crypttab

nvme0n1p5_crypt UUID=cb3c672b-efca-4dc5-8d2c-48e2b6bf5ebe none luks

/etc/fstab

# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
/dev/mapper/nvme0n1p5_crypt /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /boot was on /dev/sdc2 during installation
UUID=3ace0b0e-e917-48d2-bdc9-db8032a0dbd7 /boot           ext4    defaults        0       2
# /boot/efi was on /dev/sdc1 during installation
UUID=2724-DDC9  /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0077      0       1
# added by me: windows partition
/dev/nvme0n1p3	/media/windows	ntfs	user	0	1

Any help appreciated :(

temporpippo

Re: Dependency failed for /boot LUKS on external USB drive a

#2 Post by temporpippo »

Actually this worked for me (note: I cannot add the [SOLVED] tag to the topic for some reasons)