Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Audio Delay

Need help with peripherals or devices?
allpurpbox

Audio Delay

#1 Post by allpurpbox »

The audio is universally delayed by a 1 to 2 seconds upon every boot. The only way to get the audio to sync is to suspend the computer and awake it. I have this issue with other Linux distros as well not just debain 10. Audio goes to my TV via the HDMI cable. The issue is present in all desktop environments with both the free and the propriety nvidia driver. No issues with audio syncing in Windows 7. Any ideas on the cause?

Hardware
ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard with Intel Z87 Chipset
ASUS GeForce GTX 780

tomix

Re: Audio Delay

#2 Post by tomix »

I got two questions:
1. Do you use the internet speakers from the TV or is it in turn hooked to an amp or soundbar?
If so, you might want to pass the sound directly to your amp/soundbar.
2. Is your TV connected to the graphics card port or to an onboard port?
It might be interesting which drivers you use.
Best regards

allpurpbox

#3 Post by allpurpbox »

I use the HDMI out on the nvidia gtx 780 graphics card, which goes to a Sony TV HDMI in and plays via the TV speakers.

tomix

#4 Post by tomix »

Do you use the standard nouveau drivers for your 780 or the non-free nvidia drivers?

allpurpbox

#5 Post by allpurpbox »

I use the non-free nvidia drivers but the nouveau driver has the exact same issue. This would tend to make me think it is not a video driver issue. Wondering if there is a service I can restart or module I could load and unload or something to figrue out the exact cuase of the problem. I played around in the bios without much luck so far. When I wake the computer from suspend the audio is perfectly in sync everytime and is is out of sync upon rebooting everytime. It stays out of sync after booting until is do a sudo systemctl suspend and awake.

tomix

#6 Post by tomix »

Thats basicly all I got.
You could try to kill pulseaudio and let the daemon respawn. I guess that won't help but it might.

kill:
pulseaudio -k (use repetitively until you get an error)

restart:
pulseaudio -D

allpurpbox

#7 Post by allpurpbox »

I have killed pulseaudio with no effect pulseaudio.

Okay so turning TV off and on also results in perfectly synced audio. So suspending the computer and turning TV off/on results in correct audio video sync. Anybody know anything about the HDMI negotiation audio/vidoe sync process? Anybody know how to reestablish an HDMI connection in linux without suspending or turing off TV or how to delay or control it during boot perhaps or any other ideas?

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Is there anything relevant in the systemd journal?
deadbang

allpurpbox

#9 Post by allpurpbox »

No nothing stands out in the systemd journal, but without knowing exactly what to look for it is hard. I searched "error", "hdmi", "nvidia", "sound", "snd". I rebooted and confirmed audio was out of sync and then turned off monitor and turned it back on to get synced audio. The following are the only new additions to the systemd journal:

NVIDIA(GPU-0): SONY TV *00 (DFP-1): connected
NVIDIA(GPU-0): SONY TV *00 (DFP-1): Internal TMDS
NVIDIA(GPU-0): SONY TV *00 (DFP-1): 340.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
NVIDIA(GPU-0):
NVIDIA(GPU-0):
NVIDIA(GPU-0):