Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Suggestion for better beginner

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
eor2004

Re: Suggestion for better beginner

#21 Post by eor2004 »

Phiver wrote:
eor2004 wrote:Hi, I think you have to learn how to edit your "/ect/apt/sources.list", because you have to add the "contrib" and "non-free" repositories, so you are able to get the drivers you need for your Wi-Fi card, that's the first thing you should do, second thing you should do is learn how to get info on your hardware, like using a command in the terminal like "inxi -Fxxx" or using a program like "hard info", hope this helps you get on your way.
Yeah I tried editing that according to a guide, but again, i felt like it assumed I already had some basic knowledge that I don't have. I found this list, but when I clicked on it, it said I didn't have the software to edit it. Kind of like in windows when you try to open a file that it doesn't recognize, and it asks what program you would like to use to open it. When I clicked this file in Debian, it asked me that, but the list of available programs was empty. So yeah, even making this adjustment to /ect/apt/sources.list felt beyond my skill level. I would need a very very laymans baby step by baby step guide on this I assume.
You have to use a Text Editor like Leafpad, Mousepad or Gedit, open it as root, navigate to sources.list folder, open the "sources.list" Text file and edit it accordingly!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

Phiver

#22 Post by Phiver »

stevepusser wrote:You probably just need the firmware deb file, but which one depends on your hardware. Do you know what chip you have? If not, type "lspci" in the terminal, then copy and paste the output here, then highlight that and hit the "code" button.

Or if you have the MX Linux ISO, you can make a LiveUSB, and assuming it boots into a Live session, run "Quick System Info" from the menu and give us the output of that.
This is what I got:

scott@debian:~$ ispci
bash: ispci: command not found
scott@debian:~$

GarryRicketson

#23 Post by GarryRicketson »

Please use code boxes, and the command is :

Code: Select all

lspci
Not

ispci

Phiver

#24 Post by Phiver »

not sure how to do a code box.
b

Phiver

#25 Post by Phiver »

<pre>00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller (rev 0b)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller (rev 0b)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB xHCI HC (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series HECI #0 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series HD Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev e4)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev e4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev e4)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev e4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series SMBus Controller (rev 04)
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 3160 (rev 93)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 10)
04:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM108M [GeForce 840M] (rev a2)</pre>

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#26 Post by sunrat »

02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 3160 (rev 93)
This line tells you it is Intel Corporation Wireless 3160. So you do an internet search for "debian Intel Corporation Wireless 3160" and the first result is the wiki page which says you need to install the package firmware-iwlwifi.

https://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Head_on_a_Stick

#27 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Phiver wrote:
eor2004 wrote:Hi, I think you have to learn how to edit your "/ect/apt/sources.list", because you have to add the "contrib" and "non-free" repositories, so you are able to get the drivers you need for your Wi-Fi card, that's the first thing you should do, second thing you should do is learn how to get info on your hardware, like using a command in the terminal like "inxi -Fxxx" or using a program like "hard info", hope this helps you get on your way.
Yeah I tried editing that according to a guide, but again, i felt like it assumed I already had some basic knowledge that I don't have. I found this list, but when I clicked on it, it said I didn't have the software to edit it. Kind of like in windows when you try to open a file that it doesn't recognize, and it asks what program you would like to use to open it. When I clicked this file in Debian, it asked me that, but the list of available programs was empty. So yeah, even making this adjustment to /ect/apt/sources.list felt beyond my skill level. I would need a very very laymans baby step by baby step guide on this I assume.
To edit /etc/apt/sources.list use

# apt edit-sources
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#28 Post by GarryRicketson »

Suggestion for better beginner
The best beginners do some searches, and read documentation, there are plenty of
beginners guides , that explain about the basic linux commands, how to use them, etc.
My suggestion is do some searches and read some of them.
I would need a very very laymans baby step by baby step guide on this I assume.
And stop assuming so many things.
I used these keywords, copy / paste them into your favourite search engine:

Step by step guide to linux commands 
There are literally 100's, the first one:
http://linuxcommand.org/lc3_learning_the_shell.php
This is a very good one. There are others, just take your pick. I admit, it is a little frustrating, and more so since so many of these sites in the results are full of advertisements, and that is annoying,... but anyway, the problem is when a beginner has a problem with the system, but then it turns out they need a "step by step" beginners guide, and every little command needs explaining, well they derail their own topic, and we have to start explaining every basic command,etc. A better beginner , does a search, asking about any specific command that they do not understand.
So with that said, here is a example using the method shown by H_O_A_S:
I have added some additional commands that you might find useful:

garry@debian:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Debian
Description:	Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid
Release:	testing
Codename:	bullseye
garry@debian:~$ su -
Password: 
root@debian:~# apt edit-sources

Select an editor.  To change later, run 'select-editor'.
  1. /bin/nano        <---- easiest
  2. /usr/bin/vim.tiny

Choose 1-2 [1]: 

I select "nano", it is easier then "vim".
I used the 'lsb_release -a ' command, this is use full when posting output, because that way every one sees what version of Debian is being used , etc.

GarryRicketson

#29 Post by GarryRicketson »

There also is this, right here on this forum : Beginner's Guide
It is some what outdated, but still contains a lot of use full info for beginners.
Also, note where you post, you posted a general discussion topic, and that is fine:
General Discussion
Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
This is the category for general discussions,...but then you change the topic to a support question, this is not good practice, and it leads to a rather confusing discussion:
Postby Phiver »To summarize, I have not been able to get it to access my wifi. I can only connect to the internet wired. I have looked at and tried to follow a lot of the guides on the wiki here, and elsewhere on the internet, but have had no luck getting it to work. I find that the guides I have found seem to assume that a reader already has some basic Linux and terminal knowledge. Everything I have tried to do in the terminal it just says there is an error or some sort, or an unknown command.
We, do understand , being new to the forum, and a beginner, so no problem and I am being critical, but not just to be mean or put any one down, it is intended to try to help you or any other "beginner", become a better beginner.
Ahh, I missed this:
Postby Phiver » Would not wish what on your worst enemy? Linux mint?

Yeah I check out distro watch, but it's meh... I don't feel like it really gives me a good idea of what will work for me and my purposes.
Yes, "Linux Mint", I would not suggest it to my worst enemy,...I did try it years ago, and also, even though I suggested "distro watch", I agree "meh, I don't feel like it really gives me a good idea of what will work for me and my purposes.",.....
I still think for starters the MX linux would be your best start, you can all ways try something else later.
All though I do have Debian, on several VM's, and also on 1 drive, Linux really is not suited for my purposes, and I use a entirely different OS, for my main system, but that would be another topic.

Debianuser42

#30 Post by Debianuser42 »

I would recommend any of the beginner distros {*buntu, Mint, Zorin,...}. Then when you become tired of bugs and have a bit more time to invest, come back to rock-solid Debian.
If you have a Linux User Group in your nabourhood you could also show up there with your computer and let them install your wifi driver.

Phiver

#31 Post by Phiver »

Thanks for all the good advice, help, and info everybody!

I ended up hosing my system pretty bad trying to reinstall Debian a couple days ago, so now I have to reinstall windows and start the whole process from scratch. Which is ok, I actually enjoy this stuff cause it allows me to learn a great deal about computers. Once I get that process done, I'll probably be back here bothering you all for more help!