Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Trackpoint not working after upgrade to Buster

Need help with peripherals or devices?
killy9999

[SOLVED] Trackpoint not working after upgrade to Buster

#1 Post by killy9999 »

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad P50 laptop that I just upgraded from Stretch to Buster. After the update my trackpoint no longer works. When Buster boots I see these two error messages:

Code: Select all

i801_smbus 0000:001f.4: Transaction timeout
rmi4_smbus 0-002c: failed to get SMBus version number!
I'm not sure whether they are related but they did not show up in Stretch. Doing `xinput list` returns:

$ xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Logitech USB Optical Mouse                id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
I have found Debian bug report #880471 that seems to describe identical problem and a workaround for it:

rmmod psmouse
modprobe psmouse
This workaround works for me but of course after a reboot it needs to be repeated. Someone here suggested rebuilding the kernel and enabling RMI4 (whatever that is, it does coincide with an error message I see when booting), but I'm not keen on building my own kernel. Someone also suggested booting kernel with `psmouse.synaptics_intertouch=1` parameter but that does not work for me.

Is there a way to resolve this problem permanently without having to build my custom kernel?
Last edited by killy9999 on 2019-07-22 15:40, edited 1 time in total.

L_V

Re: Trackpoint not working after upgrade to Buster

#2 Post by L_V »

And what is reporting this:

lsusb |grep -v root
+ check if one of these is not missing:
xserver-xorg-input-mouse
xserver-xorg-input-mtrack
xserver-xorg-input-multitouch
xserver-xorg-input-mutouch
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

And try this:

cp /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ 
Then restart xorg.

killy9999

Re: Trackpoint not working after upgrade to Buster

#3 Post by killy9999 »

L_V, thanks for prompt reply. `xserver-xorg-input-mtrack` conflicts with `xserver-xorg-input-multitouch` but other than that I have these packages and it doesn't help. Also, the xorg.conf file that you mention does not exist on my system.

All that being said, I think I have managed to find a solution. Adding `psmouse.proto=imps` to GRUB boot options resolves the problem. Both boot error messages are now gone and the trackpoint works correctly.