Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Testing hangs, unable to login

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
elton-w

Debian Testing hangs, unable to login

#1 Post by elton-w »

Machine: HP Spectra
Windows resolution is 3840 x 2160.
RAM: 16 GB. HDD: 1 Tb.

Debian "Testing" was installed for me at an Install Fest earlier this year. The person who installed it felt that my machine was capable of running "Testing" without any problems ....until this morning.

PROBLEM? Machine hangs once booting from the Boot Manager. UNABLE to read the messages, since during the boot session the text is extremely TINY. So tiny, that even with a magnifying glass is no help. :( .
Once booted to the login (desktop) the text is more normal in size. BUT I cant boot into Debian because of the system hanging!

This is being posted from the Windows 10 partition.

What do I do?

TIA for any assistance...
Last edited by elton-w on 2019-09-09 02:05, edited 1 time in total.
Registered Linux User #193975-85134

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Debian Testing hangs, unable to login

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

elton-w wrote:What do I do?
Reinstall and use Debian stable instead, testing is a development branch and so will break from time to time.

See also https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... .html#s3.1
deadbang

elton-w

#3 Post by elton-w »

The person who instilled Testing for me felt that my machine could withstand anything
caused by Testing!
I had done my usual power off, and the next morning,, when I got up, the machine would hang, (...posting thus from the Windows 10 partition).
Usually, I create the USB stick in Linux. I've never created it in windows.

Thank you for your comments.

theblueplll

#4 Post by theblueplll »

elton-w wrote:Machine: HP Spectra
Windows resolution is 3840 x 2160.

Debian "Testing" was installed for me
This was the first mistake in my opinion but that's not the trouble now.

I would do what Head_on_a_Stick is suggesting if it was me.

If not stable a reinstall of testing at the least.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

elton-w wrote:The person who instilled Testing for me felt that my machine could withstand anything
caused by Testing!
The person who installed your system is full of crap. Please read my link.
deadbang

elton-w

#6 Post by elton-w »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
elton-w wrote:The person who instilled Testing for me felt that my machine could withstand anything
caused by Testing!
The person who installed your system is full of crap. Please read my link.
Thank you for your comments
The last thing that I did on Saturday [yesterday] was to install the latest updates to Windows 10, which rebooted the machine to the defaut partitio: Debian Testing.
So the Boot Manager freeze is clearly not caused by Windows. That saiid: I am unable to even go into windows Recovery mode: Alt+f10 .....becayse there's NO RESPONSE FROM THE KEYBOARD.... so how can I re-install when I have no keyboard support, and can't even get into the machine? :? :?

Also, be aware that at the time "Testing" was installed *I* did NOT request it. The Spectra is my main machine, and NOT intended for experimentation. Right now, I;m using anither machine, whose display is very hard on my vision [please excuse any typos, thahis].

The person who installed Debiann"Testing" saw the specs for the HP Spectre x60-13-ac030ca .... and he said this machine's powerful enugh to withstand anything that "Testing" might throw at it". I guess he was wrong.

I bought this machine just over a year ago.... I'm afraid I might have to ship it back [at my expense] ....o have HP re-install Wijdows10,m and reset the machine to factory default. :evil: