Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cambridge Analytica

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: Cambridge Analytica

#101 Post by oswaldkelso »

Hos
Cheers. I shall be sharing that.

A clip from her TED talk featured at the end of The Great Hack.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

golinux

#102 Post by golinux »

Was there supposed to be a link there?
May the FORK be with you!

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#103 Post by oswaldkelso »

I think the options are sign up for Netflix or just visit just about any torrent provider
Free Software Matters

pylkko

#104 Post by pylkko »

That's the irony here, the complete picture with respect to ICT and electronics. Multiple people in this thread saying they stopped using facebook. Yet, to know about it you need to use netflix (which essentially is facebook). Many places around the world schooll systems teach children the importance of critical thinking. the capacity to evaluate sources and find their own sources by themselves, as oposed to trusting hearsay, their parents or whatever. Yet at the same time those same schools teach children to "google it". As if google were some kind of unbiased portal to free information about anything. They don't teach that Peter and Alice get different results and different possibilities because they have been profiled in distinct ways for distinct purposes.

Furthermore, how do you even avoid it any more? Whatsapp the most used messaging platform is owned by facebook. I don't know about you, but my colleagues use whatsapp for communicating about work. A person in their teens now, can "delete their facebook etc", but then they will face not being able to have a relationship, kids, a job.

Head_on_a_Stick

#105 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

pylkko wrote:A person in their teens now, can "delete their facebook etc", but then they will face not being able to have a relationship, kids, a job.
Depends on the relationships, kids & job — I have all three but no FaceBook account. I don't even need email for $DAY_JOB :)
deadbang

sickpig

#106 Post by sickpig »

fb was fined what just 5 bil by d.duck administration for cambridge fiasco, while fb's revenue is 55 bil.

So, these are the times we are living in.

more surprises in store. watch this space :)

pylkko

#107 Post by pylkko »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
pylkko wrote:A person in their teens now, can "delete their facebook etc", but then they will face not being able to have a relationship, kids, a job.
Depends on the relationships, kids & job — I have all three but no FaceBook account. I don't even need email for $DAY_JOB :)
I see your point, but I fear that the kind of situation you describe will become ever more rare as time passes.

Also, if you have a smart phone (not rooted and with a custom ROM) you know that all your searches, locations, contacts. etc are being mined.

sickpig

#108 Post by sickpig »

pylkko wrote:Also, if you have a smart phone (not rooted and with a custom ROM) you know that all your searches, locations, contacts. etc are being mined.
:lol: the trick is to hide in plain sight 8)

Head_on_a_Stick

#109 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

pylkko wrote:if you have a smart phone (not rooted and with a custom ROM) you know that all your searches, locations, contacts. etc are being mined.
That can be mitigated to some extent by using something like LineageOS with FDroid instead of the Play Store and startpage as the search engine in FF.
deadbang

pylkko

#110 Post by pylkko »

Here is another interesting documentary:
China is developing a "social credit system" to evaluate its citizens' behavior. The system uses a point scheme to reward good conduct and punish bad conduct -- such as criticizing the government, or even running a red traffic light.

People who pay their bills too late or drink too much alcohol will be given penalty points, and could face travel restrictions or have their financial credit rating lowered. Good conduct could be rewarded with discounts on bookings for hotels or rental cars. The system will use the millions of suveillance cameras that have been installed throughout China -- plus facial-recognition- and motion-profile technology -- to keep track of people. The "social credit system" is now in the testing phase, and it's already become controversial. It's scheduled to be introduced in Beijing next year.
In our report, we'll meet a young woman who works as a marketing manager, and has a good behavior rating. She says it may help to get her young son into a top-quality school. We also talk to a journalist whose reports on corruption earned him a bad score. The authorities then blocked his social-media accounts, and banned him from flying on passenger jets. The "social credit system" has hit one of China's ethnic minorities particularly hard: the mostly-Muslim Uighurs, who live in the northwestern autonomous region of Xinjiang.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8a8yG0uEaw
Last edited by pylkko on 2019-07-30 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

pylkko

#111 Post by pylkko »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
pylkko wrote:if you have a smart phone (not rooted and with a custom ROM) you know that all your searches, locations, contacts. etc are being mined.
That can be mitigated to some extent by using something like LineageOS with FDroid instead of the Play Store and startpage as the search engine in FF.
I believe there is a directive that was passed some years ago in the EU that all new cars (sold from last tear on) need to have a smart tracking system in them. Eventually you will not be able to get away.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews ... ys-EU.html

Head_on_a_Stick

#112 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

pylkko wrote:Eventually you will not be able to get away.
I use motorbikes rather than cars. Two wheels good, four wheels bad :mrgreen:

Having said that, E-Call is an optional extra for new BMW motorbikes and I would probably get it fitted because bleeding to death at the side of the road doesn't appeal to me...
deadbang

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#113 Post by oswaldkelso »

If it's not opt in, it's surveillance. Bollox to Facebook, the new banking rules where you basically need a dedicated device, PC mobile etc. Also bollox to e-call. It's all part of surveillance capitalism bullshit.
Whilst I am a supporter of the EU I don't like some aspects of it. Nothing is perfect I guess and whilst I align myself with many of their ideals this is not one. I align myself more with DiEM25. Anyway, never had a Facebook account never will and stuff e-call. Old bikes are great for many reasons and no e-call is one of them. It's not on my Pegaso , GPZ1000rx, Multistrada, Royal Enfield conti or my kz550 Bobber and I will not buy a bike with it fitted and working before I die.... Even if it does mean bleeding out on the side of the road. :P
Free Software Matters

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#114 Post by CwF »

pylkko wrote: I believe there is a directive that was passed some years ago in the EU that all new cars (sold from last tear on) need to have a smart tracking system in them. Eventually you will not be able to get away.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=138031
I was trying to get some info, never did.

Personally I do 95% of my miles on a BMW GS. Just spooned on some new Next's today. They're pretty stiff.
It's a rare striped version, ordered it that way. Not even ABS, to fit the triple capacity battery, and my own electronics.

My truck is tuned, wired, out-fitted with my stuff, no it doesn't roll coal, that's rubber!

I used to do many miles on a snow mobile, a sled. Most worker sleds, and bigger things had gps trackers I installed. People did get in trouble. My 1100 sled had no tracker, just the one in the radio I'd turn off. Tagging something cost like $1.50/mo.

Anyway, like I pointed out in that thread, eventually if you're not tagged you will stick out like a sore thumb, the opposite of invisible when in sight. I won't bleed to death, I'll likely be eaten.

Head_on_a_Stick

#115 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

oswaldkelso wrote:It's all part of surveillance capitalism bullshit.
From BMW's E-Call FAQ page:
1. What is the state of my privacy? Will data such as speed and waypoints be saved?

In the event of an ECALL activation, the system will only transmit speed-independent data that is required for immediate assistance to the BMW call centre. Accordingly, the vehicle can only be localised in an active emergency call. In this case, it is not possible to draw a conclusion about the driven speed.
https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/exper ... ecall.html
oswaldkelso wrote:my Pegaso , GPZ1000rx, Multistrada, Royal Enfield conti or my kz550 Bobber
Nice collection :cool:
deadbang

pylkko

#116 Post by pylkko »

Apparently, it is possible to counter attack some of these measures mentioned in the documentary I linked above

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/26/tech ... lance.html

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#117 Post by oswaldkelso »

I went back and watched the Chinese link. Scary stuff indeed

Social surveillance in China - Credit or control?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8a8yG0uEaw

Then I read

The lobbying firm run by Boris Johnson’s close ally Sir Lynton Crosby has secretly built a network of unbranded “news” pages on Facebook for dozens of clients ranging from the Saudi government to major polluters.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... da-network

What the heck. Cambridge analytical mk2 or was that mk2000000

Followed by

Facebooks mind reading machine
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 28801.html

Now I grant you the technology could be used to help these poor people but part of me thinks they are both people and Guinea pigs and I'm not sure of the order...... Well maybe I am but I'm being polite. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea_pi ... guation%29

Elon Musk’s Neuralink plans to hook human brains directly to computers
Entrepreneur says brain chip will ‘ultimately achieve a sort of symbiosis with artificial intelligence’
https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/16/elon- ... next-year/

Oh dear. The thought police and the Minority Report come true and rolled in to one. All thought monitored. By whom? It starts off with criminals. No need for an ankle tag it's been replace with a chip connected to your brain. Same with "dissidents" . Now connect this with the built in individual profiling and targeting we have the friggin Matrix!

Maybe it's time for the tech giants to show us the source code or me to move to St Kilda
Free Software Matters

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#118 Post by oswaldkelso »

Zuckerberg gets a grilling
https://invidio.us/watch?v=8KFQx-mc2Ao

For those that still don't quite get the issue here
https://invidio.us/watch?v=kc_Jq42Og7Q

Just imagine once google sycamore gets up to speed (pun intended). Those encryption keys will need to be on a revolving schedule changing like every 60 seconds
Free Software Matters