Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Impossible to get a correct keyboard layout on VirtualBox

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
P1lo

Impossible to get a correct keyboard layout on VirtualBox

#1 Post by P1lo »

Hello everyone,

I'm going crazy with this :evil:

I try to get the correct keyboard layout for a Debian 9.9 VM running on VirtualBox (without GUI).

My keyboard is a French Swiss MacBook Pro keyboard (QWERTZ). I've tried all the common possibilities from dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration and dpkg-reconfigure console-data (followed by setupcon to apply the changes) : PC105 or Macintosh keyboards and all the Swiss French possibilities (which are oddly in the German (Switzerland) category) : regular French (Swiss), Macintosh French (Swiss), French (Swiss) without dead keys and so on... I can't see a difference between these layouts, except they're far from my actual layout. The only one which is usable is the QWERTY US layout.

After spending hours searching on the web, the other similar issues including problems with keyboard issues seem to have been fixed with the above commands. Therefore I'm wondering if the problem couldn't come from the fact it's a VM ? Although people on VirtualBox forums seem to claim all the keyboard problems come from the guest OS. Or maybe from the VNC client I use (VNC Viewer) ?

I would really appreciate some help ! Thanks :D

Segfault

Re: Impossible to get a correct keyboard layout on VirtualBo

#2 Post by Segfault »

Maybe use a more rational setup? This is a "headless" installation, no GUI. So why don't you simply SSH into it? Why are people so obsessed with VNC? There are better solutions in Unix world, I have been working with remote Linux/Unix boxes for over two decades now, I get everything done and never felt the need for VNC.

P1lo

#3 Post by P1lo »

Hey, thanks for your reply.

The details about my configuration : my host runs OpenMediaVault (OMV). I mainly access it via SSH or the web interface. I want to install YunoHost on the VM. Why a VM ? I've read at several occasions, there would be conflicts if YunoHost and OMV would share the same host.

Then, about the keyboard layout, I admit I've been stocked in this problem, trying to resolve it without considering another solution :oops:. But you're absolutely right, I definitely can install sshd on the VM, on another port than the one of the host (as they share the same IP). Am I right ?

Segfault

#4 Post by Segfault »

You should put the host in bridge mode, then the guest can use unique IP address [in the same netblock].