Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10, epxerience so far

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
markjacob

Debian 10, epxerience so far

#1 Post by markjacob »

I am using debian 10 for 5 days now and these are some points I noted.
- installer is good and easy
- no splash screen
- too many pre install games
- synaptic package manager not supported
- not using swap partition be default. I had to force it to use
- software center had nothing to show, I had to reinstall . now its showing softwares
- dont have wide range of softwares.
- after installing chromium ( I use chormium on linux instead of chrome) chromium took 500 to 700mb memory
- sometimes debian became laggy (for 2,3 minutes) this is maybe because I have a slwo HDD.
- unable to install openjdk and other packages from ppa repository( may be because buster is new and ppa has no support. I don't know)

So far I like this new Buster. old users or those who know linux more. if there is a mistake on my end. kindly notify. there is a need to learn more.

vbrummond

Re: Debian 10, epxerience so far

#2 Post by vbrummond »

markjacob wrote:- no splash screen
Set up Plymouth.
https://wiki.debian.org/plymouth
Disk space is cheap?
I wouldn’t recommend using synaptic even if it was. The gnome packagekit based tool is better for simply installing apps. Apt from the command line is better in general.
Would have to fire up a vm to confirm, but I am going to doubt this is the case for most installs. More information needed.
- software center had nothing to show, I had to reinstall . now its showing softwares
It may have just been indexing/refreshing.
I beg to differ. You can use any software available on Linux in general as well as windows software through wine.
- after installing chromium ( I use chormium on linux instead of chrome) chromium took 500 to 700mb memory
Disk space is cheap. If you mean “ram” yeah this isn’t unusual. Facebook uses 1gb of ram all to itself on most browsers.
- sometimes debian became laggy (for 2,3 minutes) this is maybe because I have a slwo HDD.
This is a criticism I have on Linux is weak I/o interactivity. You might try the mq-bfq scheduler. Google info about it as it’s probably complicated to switch it as default.
- unable to install openjdk and other packages from ppa repository( may be because buster is new and ppa has no support. I don't know)
You don’t want to be adding any repositories at all ever unless you trust the maintainer and they are specifically designed to work with Debian. Ubuntu packages are not compatible. The correct way is to find a package for Debian or rebuild the package to work with Debian.
So far I like this new Buster. old users or those who know linux more. if there is a mistake on my end. kindly notify. there is a need to learn more.
We would be happy to help.
Always on Debian Testing

theblueplll

#3 Post by theblueplll »

While trying to be as nice as possible some of this may come off as me being a **** but it is not my intention

- no splash screen
see above post ... it is very simple to do I can confirm that much...have done it on several machines for friends or for myself
this is your own fault for letting the installer do so....there is always a minimal install to all the desktop environments very good idea to look this up.
use apt instead.........or stop using gnome ........also there was a warning MONTHS before the release that this would happen in gnome and wayland...besides synaptic being well known for problems here and there over the years(there is a way to run gnome under X instead of wayland and be able to sue synaptic but I can't comment on that I don't use gnome and am not sure where to tell you to click to switch at the login screen)
also your own fault for letting the installer just do whatever it felt or missed the option somehow like or you manually partitioned your drive and didn't do it properly(I can't be 100% sure with this since I always use the expert install and do such things myself).
not sure where this came from
chrome based browsers are well known as ram hogs so there is no surprise here..firefox is a little heavy on ram also for me but doesn't seem to bog down my machine at all.

All of these were basically something you did on your own or didn't bother to research installing Debian the way you expect it to be.

Always pays off to learn the expert install of anything and have more control over what happens.

cuckooflew

#4 Post by cuckooflew »

Sounds like the blind leading the blind to me.

markjacob

#5 Post by markjacob »

Thanks theblueplll and vbrummond . I think I was too stupid to post this too early. I did some "more" research after this post.
vbrummond wrote: I wouldn’t recommend using synaptic even if it was. The gnome packagekit based tool is better for simply installing apps. Apt from the command line is better in general.
yes I read about it. removed it already.
vbrummond wrote: You don’t want to be adding any repositories at all ever unless you trust the maintainer and they are specifically designed to work with Debian. Ubuntu packages are not compatible. The correct way is to find a package for Debian or rebuild the package to work with Debian.
this is what I learned after searching. not every thing is made for every distro. I even tried and built a nemo-dropbox extension.

chromium problem and lagging is my laptop problem. I am having hard time running windows too. I think my HDD going to die soon.
theblueplll wrote:While trying to be as nice as possible some of this may come off as me being a **** but it is not my intention.
I really don't mind if I am learning something. :D .

vbrummond

#6 Post by vbrummond »

Thanks for posting here please let us know if you have any more questions.
Always on Debian Testing

esp7

#7 Post by esp7 »

cuckooflew wrote:Sounds like the blind leading the blind to me.
post of the year :mrgreen:
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

piperdan

#8 Post by piperdan »

What do you mean synaptics is no longer supported?

It's in the software center and there's nothing in the Debian Wiki about dropping it.

Deb-fan

#9 Post by Deb-fan »

^ Believe people mean Synaptic doesn't work under Wayland/XWayland(yet). Really don't know stopped using it and learned cli package management asap soon after starting with gnu/nix. 1gb-ram for Facebook?! By that you mean the whole browser + having Facebook open uses 1gb total(I hope). OP all browsers should be able to be tweaked to some extent. Life long Firefox user so may want to ask Google how to best get Chrome/based browsers to behave better.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

sickpig

#10 Post by sickpig »

esp7 wrote:
cuckooflew wrote:Sounds like the blind leading the blind to me.
post of the year :mrgreen:
:lol: cuckooflew is brutal