Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

all input devices disabled after suspend&resume in Debian10

Need help with peripherals or devices?
chu887

all input devices disabled after suspend&resume in Debian10

#1 Post by chu887 »

Hello,everyone. A serious problem comes with my laptop ,a quite new DELL model :ins 7591.The problem is :
All input devices, including keyboards, mouses,touchpad (no matter built-in or plug-in)become disabled after suspend&resume except pressing Fn+F5 can light up the built-in keyboard LED backlight.
The "suspend&resume" means close the lid and then open the lid, I'm sure the action is "suspend" ,because I can set it up through the power management application.
But when I open the lid, on the display,login screen light up but whthout blinking in the password field! Touchpad ,keyboard ,mouses become disabled even after a re-plugin ,no matter on the console or a desktop environment:MATE 1.20.4. Then I have to preess the power button for a long time (about 10 seconds )to force it shutdown and then restart the system.

So what's the true reason for the problem with my machine? Kernel bug or a configuration problem? And how to resolve it?

Any other information needed Please let me know. Thanks a lot!

trinidad

Re: all input devices disabled after suspend&resume in Debia

#2 Post by trinidad »

The reason is a firmware/kernel problem. Sometimes pressing the the left arrow key will return the touchpad control when this happens but not always.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#3 Post by Bloom »

I found that with some computers, pressing the power button once and shortly revives the system.

theblueplll

#4 Post by theblueplll »

The reason is a firmware/kernel problem. Sometimes pressing the the left arrow key will return the touchpad control when this happens but not always.

TC

I had the same problems with MATE and KDE.

Ended up just disabling power management except for screen locking.

Is there any actual fix for it or is it something we just have to deal with?

chu887

#5 Post by chu887 »

theblueplll wrote:

TC

I had the same problems with MATE and KDE.

Ended up just disabling power management except for screen locking.

Is there any actual fix for it or is it something we just have to deal with?
Is your machine also a DELL 7591 notebook?
I just setup the action to "BlankScreen" to avoid this problem. I reported this "bug" to the bugzilla.kernel.org , but haven't received a response .Perhaps my report is not so professional (lack of enough kernel knowledge)that they have no enough info to pay attention to this problem. I have no idea how long we would wait for the developers' bug fix .

theblueplll

#6 Post by theblueplll »

No it's not a Dell.

Hmm if it is somethign with the kernel I would have no clue where to even start to try and solve it.

chu887

#7 Post by chu887 »

theblueplll wrote:No it's not a Dell.

Hmm if it is somethign with the kernel I would have no clue where to even start to try and solve it.
Hello everyone. This serious problem has been solved on my DELL 7591 laptop.

When I confirmed the Dell 7591 weather got a UBUNTU certificate, yeah, dell 7591 got it. So I guessed the bug had been solved.
Then I downloaded the 18.04(with kernel 5.1 ) to test , yeah, the bug disappeared!

Then I update my Debian from version 10 to "testing"(with kernel 5.3.15) , no this bug appeared either!

If you encountered the same problem as mine, I suggesst you update your linux kernel to a later version above 5.1...

chu887

#8 Post by chu887 »

Hello everyone. This serious problem has been solved on my DELL 7591 laptop.

When I confirmed the Dell 7591 weather got a UBUNTU certificate, yeah, dell7591 got it. So I guessed the bug had been solved.
Then I downloaded the latest Ubuntu 18.04(with kernel 5.1 ) to test , yeah, the bug disappeared!

Then I update my Debian from version 10 to "testing"(with kernel 5.3.15) , no this bug appeared either!

If you encountered the same problem as mine, I suggesst you update your linux kernel to a later version above 5.1...