Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

AMD RX560 on Debian Stretch - Not supported?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
mrkapqa

Re: AMD RX560 on Debian Stretch - Not supported?

#21 Post by mrkapqa »

Thanks ,

i just installed Debian Buster,

and it stalls with no Desktop (GNome) and fails completely with (KDE).

Quite an experience. It seems since Wheezy Debian has gone a long way in complicating the user experience.

I wonder why the installer is not picking up the correct driver for the RX560 or what is the problem here?
I have 2 monitors connected.

mrkapqa

#22 Post by mrkapqa »

Wheelerof4te wrote:
mrkapqa wrote:i have also this card RX560 and just upgraded to Debian Stretch.
Cool, now you can upgrade to Buster, it just went Stable :mrgreen:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... ading.html

Also, this question has been asked and answered a million times, so here's a million-oneth time:

Code: Select all

apt install firmware-amd-graphics
after enabling non-free repo.

i would then boot into "recovery"

and try to enable contrib and non-free in the sources.list but it would not do

the apt-get update afterwards complaining of deb.debian.org not found etc.

The firmware-amd-graphics is not found in Main repository.

Total fail.

mrkapqa

#23 Post by mrkapqa »

from recovery mode:

apt-get update

Could not resolve 'security.debian.org'
Could not resolve 'deb.debian.org'
Could not resolve 'deb.debian.org'

never trust a buster.

L_V

#24 Post by L_V »

Is your network active ?

ping -c5 1.1.1.1
+ to see

grep ^d /etc/apt/sources.list

Head_on_a_Stick

#25 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

mrkapqa wrote:Total fail.
Yes, you're not doing well, are you? :mrgreen:

Boot with the systemd.unit=multi-user.target kernel command line parameter to disable the graphical desktop, use ifupdown or nmcli to connect then add the non-free component to your sources, update the package database and install the non-free firmware required by your graphics card.

Debian is intended for competent GNU/Linux users so if you find this all a bit challenging then you could try something like MX Linux instead until you get the hang of things.
deadbang

mrkapqa

#26 Post by mrkapqa »

Hei!

Thanks for the heads-up!

Obviously the internet was working fine as i was able to install DEbian Buster thanks to the NetInstaller.

For some unknown reason, the DVD Iso images has failed on my computer, and i tested this several times. Maybe it does not recognize the DVD-RW or there is some bug in the installer.

So, as Debian seems "dependent" on Internet, i am wondering, why the "recovery" mode does shut me off from it?

Yes, that was an epic fail, poor me.

mrkapqa

#27 Post by mrkapqa »

I am sorry not be able to investigate this issue atm as i resorted to Ubuntu LTS.

No issue at all with RX560 out of the box.

I am using Debian since Squeeze/Wheezy and am really a novice user with a fair understanding of computer , but i seem do not fail to notice when quality control is deteriorating.

Sorry for the rant, that were too many errors at the same time (no graphics on gnome AND KDE, no internet at recovery etc.) - so it is fair to blame it on my poor understanding of Debian.

mrkapqa

#28 Post by mrkapqa »

Poor is, what poorly does, and i cannot blame Ubuntu for perfectly functioning here.

I would never have thought to state this, but i would no longer recommend Debian over Ubuntu, and i tested also quite a lot.

Most of my Linux machines still run Debian Wheezy, but with Jessie onwards things just went out of my reach.

So all of you, thanks for the development of Debian , but i hope someone can hear this up the echelon and do something about it.
A "new" operating system i think should be able to correctly interpret a graphics card from 2017-2018, otherwise , there is no point in selecting a Desktop Environment at all, and it is my understanding, that GNOME is still the most favored of the Debian Project.
Last edited by mrkapqa on 2019-07-28 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#29 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

mrkapqa wrote:i hope someone can hear this up the echelon
Nope, no developers visit here.
mrkapqa wrote:A "new" operating system i think should be able to correctly interpret a graphics card from 2017-2018
I'm using Debian buster with a Vega 8 graphics card (same generation as your RX560) and it works very well indeed, better than in Win10 in fact.

Debian cannot include the non-free firmware that your device requires because it violates their Social Contract. Now **** off to Ubuntu and stop bothering us with your ignorant nonsense.
deadbang

mrkapqa

#30 Post by mrkapqa »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
mrkapqa wrote:
Debian cannot include the non-free firmware that your device requires because it violates their Social Contract. Now **** off to Ubuntu and stop bothering us with your ignorant nonsense.
Hei,
i was not asking for the non-free firmware, but to boot into working Gnome3 Desktop Environment, which obviously i was not able to.
As a resort, i remember the post from our friend here, advised a little more up to install the firmware as the prefered way to get good graphics driver.
So i am wondering, what sort of recovery should i resort to, if the recovery mode does automatically cut me "off the cloud" ..
someone should get some developers involved and ask them this.
...and off i am.

Head_on_a_Stick

#31 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

mrkapqa wrote:what sort of recovery should i resort to, if the recovery mode does automatically cut me "off the cloud"
For the benefit of others: use the systemd.unit=multi-user.target kernel command line parameter to disable the graphical desktop.
deadbang

mrkapqa

#32 Post by mrkapqa »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
mrkapqa wrote:what sort of recovery should i resort to, if the recovery mode does automatically cut me "off the cloud"
For the benefit of others: use the systemd.unit=multi-user.target kernel command line parameter to disable the graphical desktop.
Thanks ,

this seems complicated to me. does this apply also on a VirtualBox?
i would like to add that i did a "fresh install" on a SSD (RyzenPC with dedicated RX560 Graphics) so i am really wondering why this happens. The RX560 is a reformulated RX460 if i understood correctly. Should lead to a graphical environment, if selected, on Debian 10.

+the recovery offers no internet connectivity?
+the DVD installer seems faulty again (hence i resorted to USB > no DVD line is added to sources.list > no internet > no package installs.

Head_on_a_Stick

#33 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

mrkapqa wrote:i did a "fresh install" on a SSD (RyzenPC with dedicated RX560 Graphics) so i am really wondering why this happens.
Because that card needs non-free firmware to work properly, as has already been explained several times in this thread.
mrkapqa wrote:The RX560 is a reformulated RX460 if i understood correctly. Should lead to a graphical environment, if selected, on Debian 10.
Not unless you install the non-free firmware. So that card isn't supported by the official Debian release but the necessary packages are available from the non-free component of the Debian repositories.
mrkapqa wrote:+the recovery offers no internet connectivity?
AFAIUI, only a limited number of services are started in recovery mode so the networking services must be excluded. It is certainly possible to connect from the recovery mode though and booting to multi-user.target should leave you with the networking enabled.
deadbang

mrkapqa

#34 Post by mrkapqa »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Yes, you're not doing well, are you? :mrgreen:

Boot with the systemd.unit=multi-user.target kernel command line parameter to disable the graphical desktop, use ifupdown or nmcli to connect then add the non-free component to your sources, update the package database and install the non-free firmware required by your graphics card.
Hello ,

i tried once more to install this (now with Debian-10-Gnome-Live.iso)

where should i enter this "systemd.unit=multi-user.target command line?

If i press "E" @Grub there comes a very long list of commands.

Mode 2, to regain Network-Connectivity:
In recovery mode, the command
"ifupdown" is unknown
and "nmcli" gives no result
and "ifconfig eth0 up" is not working in recovery because "ifconfig" is apparently no longer included since Stretch.

Very smart Debian

https://nology.de/debian-recovery-mode- ... rking.html

mrkapqa

#35 Post by mrkapqa »

mrkapqa wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

where should i enter this "systemd.unit=multi-user.target command line?

If i press "E" @Grub there comes a very long list of commands.
Ok, Thanks, now i found out:

i would insert it in line "linux" after "quiet" -

now it is booting into recovery with Internet capabilities again.
but installing

apt install firmware-amd-graphics

solved nothing.
Last edited by mrkapqa on 2019-08-03 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

mrkapqa

#36 Post by mrkapqa »

sudo apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree was missing!

This
systemd.unit=multi-user.target
thing should be somehow made available in recovery mode as an option, that would very much alleviate the process.

Head_on_a_Stick

#37 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

So is it working now?
mrkapqa wrote:"ifconfig eth0 up" is not working in recovery because "ifconfig" is apparently no longer included since Stretch.
The ifconfig command was made obsolete quite a while ago and so is no longer included in the stock system.

# ip link set eth0 up
mrkapqa wrote:This
systemd.unit=multi-user.target
thing should be somehow made available in recovery mode as an option, that would very much alleviate the process.
I've included the information in my [FAQ], hopefully people will read that rather than start more threads about this.

EDIT: the rescue mode in the ISO image can be used to get a root shell in the system with a working internet connection.
deadbang

mrkapqa

#38 Post by mrkapqa »

yes, it is functioning, quite well.

Firmware-Amd-Graphics was not sufficient, Firmware-Linux-Nonfree was needed (too).

I could not tell if it would suffice to install Firmware-Linux-Nonfree.

In any way, this has been a workaround, but i would presume a lot of people are affected by this issue and could be disappointed.
I tried to install a newer Kernel to see if this alone would settle it, but apparently there are none available in the repositories. Testing and Sid shows the same Linux-Image.

Head_on_a_Stick

#39 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

mrkapqa wrote:i would presume a lot of people are affected by this issue and could be disappointed
The Social Contract and the Debian Free Software Guidelines are considered more important than convenience.
deadbang

mrkapqa

#40 Post by mrkapqa »

Thanks ,
i wonder how well the free driver development for the Polaris GPU has then become - it is now 3 years since its release more or less - if there is still a "free" driver around ...
i never had such problems with Debian until recently .. so i am still a bit baffled.

I am a bit confused by the wiki here as it says "Open Source Drivers"

https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo

Does Debian not allow to include such "Open Source Drivers" ?