Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

xkey

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
Mr James

xkey

#1 Post by Mr James »

Hey guys.

So I made a thing. It is called xkey and it is a teeny-weeny xbindkeys replacement is the suckless spirit.
Have a look if interested and feel free to post any criticisms/requests, or star it if you like it.

https://github.com/mreyoud/xkey
asus S551L laptop :: debian stable :: dwm

tynman

Re: xkey

#2 Post by tynman »

I thought that looked interesting, so I downloaded it. Found nothing in the README file to indicate how to compile it, so I just ran make. That created a binary file named xkey, so I thought that was a good sign. I then ran it with

Code: Select all

> ./xkey &
Since the only thing in the default config.h file is

{ ControlMask,  XK_t,   "xterm" }
I took a guess that this meant if I press CTRL-t, it should start the Xterm terminal application. It did not. Nothing happens when I press Ctrl-t. Perhaps I am misinterpreting the meaning of "ControlMask" and/or "XK_t". Maybe I am missing the whole point of your program :).

I verified Xterm is installed by starting it with

> xterm
I verified xkey is running with

08:07:51  $> ps -ef | grep xkey
ben      25800     1  0 08:07 ?        00:00:00 ./xkey
ben      25932 13031  0 08:08 pts/1    00:00:00 grep xkey
?

Mr James

Re: xkey

#3 Post by Mr James »

Right.

First, yes, compilation and installation is done by "make" followed by "sudo make install".
Second, if you are running the program within Wayland it won't work. X11 only.
Third, yes, you edit config.h prior to compiling to configure the thing. Add whatever bindings you want, following the example provided.
And finally, yes, ControlMask is CTRL, and XK_t is 't'. See the X11 headers.

Fun fact: If in Wayland, fire up a GTK2 program, say Firefox, with xkey running, and with said program focused, xkey works.
asus S551L laptop :: debian stable :: dwm