Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] VirtualBox RDP authentication issue

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
D2b2426R5d

[SOLVED] VirtualBox RDP authentication issue

#1 Post by D2b2426R5d »

Hi all,

I have Debian 10 running with few VirtualBox 6.0 instances. Each one of them have Remote Display option enabled (Oracle pack installed), so I can use RDP protocol to see desktop of each machine from my other PC. Each virtual machine have different port, everything works perfectly in my LAN network.

I need to grant access to these VMs to WAN network, open ports in the router. The thing is, VirtualBox doesn't have any working authentication method. In VM's Settings/Display/Remote Display menu, I can see Authentication Method: Null, External, Guest. Null works fine without any password, but External and Guest just can't connect when I use Remote Desktop Manager in my Windows, same with Windows built-in Remote Desktop Connection - it doesn't ask for correct username/password, but just fails after 5 seconds. I don't get to ask how to set up this username and password.

Anyone can share some ideas how to authenticate this over WAN? Maybe VirtualBox have some configuration option which I haven't seen? Or maybe I need to use some SSH, VPN tunneling or something?

D2b2426R5d

Re: [SOLVED] VirtualBox RDP authentication issue

#2 Post by D2b2426R5d »

Solved - used DDNS on the router, SSH server with EdDSA key (no password) opened to the world, on client side: PuTTY SSH authenticated with EdDSA key, with SSH tunnel to transfer RDP traffic from remote server to a localhost, then RDP viewer to connect to localhost:port (PuTTY brings traffic to localhost), and it works perfectly over WAN. All RDP un-authenticated traffic is encapsulated within secure SSH tunnel brought to life by PuTTY, it can be done with standard GNU tools as well I believe, so other Linux and Macs can have it too.