Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] No Login on Fujitsu Esprimo Mobile e6555

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Onsemeliot

[solved] No Login on Fujitsu Esprimo Mobile e6555

#1 Post by Onsemeliot »

I successfully completed several installations of Debian stable on an old Fujitsu Esprimo Mobile e6555 from about 2009 but I never can login afterwards. (I even tried Ubuntu 18:04 at one point.)

In every case after the normal boot at least a console login prompt shows up but much faster than I can even do anything it vanishes and I always end up with a static cursor on the top left corner which stays forever. I tried the installation with a range of different settings (with and without proprietary repositories, root user login, sudo, auto-login, LXDE, LXQT, XFCE) already. I can not even switch to an other CLI from there using "CTLR"+"Alt"+"F1" (or any other function key) either.

I can use the rescue mode from the GRUB menu to login as root (if I allow this option during installation). If I browse through the installation folders everything seems to be fine but the GUI still won't start.

I guess the problem shouldn't be the missing NVidiA GeForce 8200M G display driver since I tried to enable proprietary repositories also. Maybe I am wrong here and this isn't enough since I might need to provide a driver for it also. But shouldn't at least basic SVGA work out of the box anyway?

Could it be that I need to use a 32 bit installation instead of the 64 bit?

Do you have any suggestions?
Last edited by Onsemeliot on 2019-08-07 10:36, edited 1 time in total.

ruwolf

Re: No Login on Fujitsu Esprimo Mobile e6555

#2 Post by ruwolf »

To enable repository does not mean to install package from it.
For installing, you should command it exactly, what do you want to install e.g.:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install nvidia-detect

Onsemeliot

#3 Post by Onsemeliot »

Thank you for your answer, ruwolf. Initially I did the installation using the WLAN. Unfortunately in rescue mode I don't even have a working internet connection (well the DNS obviously isn't working) when I plug in the ethernet cable. Therefore I can't install "nvidia-detect".

But I expected that the installation routine would check for drivers of the built in hardware itself ... if necessary. Especially since I added the non-free repositories.

So far I fail to find a guide to tell me how I could connect to the internet from rescue mode.
Last edited by Onsemeliot on 2019-08-07 10:36, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Onsemeliot wrote:in rescue mode I don't even have a working internet connection
Disable the graphical desktop by following the advice in this thread:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142974

If you're using nouveau then your card may require non-free firmware, as described in the above linked thread. No need to switch to proprietary drivers unless you really need the extra performance.

Otherwise try booting with the nomodeset kernel parameter. NVIDIA cards may also require the nouveau.modeset=0 parameter.
deadbang

Onsemeliot

#5 Post by Onsemeliot »

Thanks for your help again. I was able to install the non-free firmware and since that obviously wasn't sufficient I installed "nvidia-detect" also. After running the program I installed the "nvidia-legacy-340xx" driver since this is what was recommended by it. (This is huge. Much more than 200 MB just for this annoying graphics card!)

But afterwards I was finally able to start into the LXDE desktop. :)