Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is 40GB correct for root partition for long usage?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
blumer

Is 40GB correct for root partition for long usage?

#1 Post by blumer »

I have a 120GB SSD hard drive, and I'd like to dualboot Windows and Debian. I need at least 80GB for Windows, so I have to choose between installing Debian on a 40GB partition on the SSD, or on an HDD where I could give it more space.
For a long time use, would 40GB be sufficient or would it limit the number of programs and utilities I can install?

vbrummond

Re: Is 40GB correct for root partition for long usage?

#2 Post by vbrummond »

40 is fine for software, but probably not for data.
Always on Debian Testing

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

The correct answer is that you never have enough hard disk space, as data expands to fill any empty space.

But that's enough to do most computer tasks. Not all, I just backported the Sid 5.2.6 kernel the other day, and that took about 57 GB of free space for the 64-bit build and the docs!

Just keep an eye how how much free space you have left.
MX Linux packager and developer

Dai_trying

#4 Post by Dai_trying »

You could do what I do and have your working system on one partition and all data on another, I create symlinks for ~/bin, ~/Documents, ~/Downloads, ~/Music, ~/Pictures, ~/Videos and a few other directories I need from a separate partition which gets mounted via fstab at boot-up. I mainly do this to make sharing data to different OS's easier (I multi-boot) but the principle can work the same for simply splitting the load to different HDD's.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

vbrummond wrote:40 is fine for software, but probably not for data.
+1

My old ThinkPad has 30GiB for the Debian system (with GNOME) and that's still got plenty of space left after a few years of usage.
deadbang