Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian package naming

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
tovis

Debian package naming

#1 Post by tovis »

I have a quite old multifunction printer HP LaserJet 1100A. Using Debian 10 packages it's printing, but I've lost scanning function. After struggling turns on, that hplip package does not enable parallel port interface (they disable it for several years ago).
I was decided to download Debian source package, modify debian/rules file (add one row "--enable-pp-build". Using local-apt-repository package I was managed to install modify packages (exclude that I was put on head of sources.list my local "repository"). With this I was managed to install hplip packages and dependencies. The scanning function is working.

What to do about updates? Is it enough to put on "hold" hplip packages? May be better idea to rename them?
I was not found a good description how to doit. My goal is to get different name for hole package, to avoid updates.

ruwolf

Re: Debian package naming

#2 Post by ruwolf »

Very good question (I need it, too), very hard to find answer on the Web.
wiki.debian.org: [i]apt-src[/i] wrote:After compiling, aptitude will probably try and upgrade your custom package with the standard Debian ones, obliterating your changes! Two ways to maintain the same package version are creating a diversion with dpkg-divert or by having aptitude hold the package.
BTW: ServerFault.com: apt - Renaming debian package

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

One easy way is to add an epoch to your version in the debian/changelog so that it's always higher than the Debian one.

Debian: hplip (3.19.6-1)

Yours with an epoch: hplip (1:3.19.6-1)
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Might be best to use the same revision number with a tilde added to make sure the package still gets updated for security issues, you can always modify the package again afterwards.

See deb-version(7).

To change the version use

Code: Select all

dch -v $version
Replace $version with the actual numbers you want to use. Remember to set DEBFULLNAME & DEBEMAIL appropriately to stop lintian complaining.
deadbang