Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

no GUI after upgrade to buster

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
serandrzej

Re: no GUI after upgrade to buster

#21 Post by serandrzej »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Did you run the Debian buster installer and use it to install a new system?
(sorry for late answer, did not realized 2nd page) At first I upgraded via apt update dist upgrade etc. then when I couldn't make system work I installed it several times from CD.
oh, and I should have mentioned that I also run debian on dell vostro, here upgrade went smoothly (still minor issues to be handled later), but on dell I didn't have separate / and /home partition (and only windows next to debian)
Last edited by serandrzej on 2019-08-10 11:57, edited 2 times in total.

L_V

#22 Post by L_V »

Can you try to add a test user, and log in test session.

Code: Select all

adduser test
+

grep home /etc/fstab
blkid | grep home
mount | grep home

serandrzej

#23 Post by serandrzej »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Do you mean that you can't see /home in Debian? Use the findmnt command to view your mountpoints.
I can see /home partition, even in graphic mode but only from ubuntu.
here are readings from findmnt run from debian root CLI (again, not able to attach the file):

TARGET SOURCE FSTYPE OPTIONS
/ /dev/sda5 ext4 rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro
├─/sys sysfs sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
│ ├─/sys/kernel/security securityfs securityfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
│ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs tmpfs ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/unified cgroup2 cgroup2 rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/systemd cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,name=systemd
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/rdma cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,rdma
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/pids cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/blkio cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/memory cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory
│ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/devices cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices
│ │ └─/sys/fs/cgroup/freezer cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer
│ ├─/sys/fs/pstore pstore pstore rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
│ ├─/sys/firmware/efi/efivars efivarfs efivarfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
│ ├─/sys/fs/bpf bpf bpf rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=700
│ └─/sys/kernel/debug debugfs debugfs rw,relatime
├─/proc proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
│ └─/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc systemd-1 autofs rw,relatime,fd=29,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=12038
├─/dev udev devtmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,size=1712712k,nr_inodes=428178,mode=755
│ ├─/dev/pts devpts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000
│ ├─/dev/shm tmpfs tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev
│ ├─/dev/hugepages hugetlbfs hugetlbfs rw,relatime,pagesize=2M
│ └─/dev/mqueue mqueue mqueue rw,relatime
├─/run tmpfs tmpfs rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=346464k,mode=755
│ ├─/run/lock tmpfs tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k
│ └─/run/user/0 tmpfs tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=346460k,mode=700
├─/boot/efi /dev/sda1 vfat rw,relatime,fmask=0077,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro
└─/home /dev/sda8 ext4 rw,relatime

debian partitions are /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda8
Last edited by serandrzej on 2019-08-10 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

serandrzej

#24 Post by serandrzej »

L_V wrote:did you update befeore installing...

apt update
apt install firmware-amd-graphics
And report this

apt policy firmware-amd-graphics
grep ^d /etc/apt/sources.list

apt policy firmware-amd-graphics returns this:
firmware-amd-graphics:
Installed: 20190114-1
Candidate: 20190114-1
Version table:
***20190114-1 500
500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/non-free amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

grep ^d /etc/apt/sources.list - just hangs and nothing happens
Last edited by serandrzej on 2019-08-10 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

serandrzej

#25 Post by serandrzej »

L_V wrote:Can you try to add a test user, and log in test session.
I added a test user and logged on as the new user (in text mode)

grep home /etc/fstab returns:
home was on /dev/sda8 during installation
UUID=9f475........... /home ext4 defaults 0 2

blkid | grep home run from root, not test user returns:
/dev/sda8 LABEL="home" UUID="9f475....." TYPE="ext4" PARTLABEL="home" PARTUUID="61ecb978..."

mount | grep home:
/dev/sda8 on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime)

L_V

#26 Post by L_V »

serandrzej wrote:grep ^d /etc/apt/sources.list - just hangs and nothing happens
Then, problem.

ls /etc/apt/sources.list
cat /etc/apt/sources.list
Just after boot, if you log in root session, and execute sddm: what happen ?

EDIT: sddm for KDE. Replace sddm by the login manager you use / I don't remember since last month.

serandrzej

#27 Post by serandrzej »

Deb-fan wrote:fresh install, including /home.
probably I will eventually resort to that, although would prefer not to, but actually trying to solve the issue in a proper way is quite gripping and educating and maybe will contribute to some corrections. so for now let's to try and try to possibly get rid of errors:)
Deb-fan wrote:The config files left behind in an unformatted /home could potentially cause conflicts/problems.
can config files on /home partition mess up with booting?
Last edited by serandrzej on 2019-08-10 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

serandrzej

#28 Post by serandrzej »

L_V wrote:Then, problem.

ls /etc/apt/sources.list

ls /etc/apt/sources.list
returns /etc/apt/sources.list

returns 3 entries - 2 default, and 1 you suggetsted previously (..buster non-free)

actually, Ive just realised that deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster main is missing, only security was there. Added now, after apt update all packages were anyway up to date.
L_V wrote:Just after boot, if you log in root session, and execute sddm: what happen ?
sddm - command not found so I replaced it with lightdm and then upcame something like this:
"**(lightdm:668): WARNING [...] could not enumerate user data directory /var/lib/lightdm/data: Error opening directory '/var/lib/lightdm/data': No such file or directory"

Question: could reinstall of ubuntu help in case the problem lies with UEFI? I mean, maybe buster was to confused during upgrade/reinstall and mixed up booting "things", and ubuntu could straighten things out.

djk44883

#29 Post by djk44883 »

serandrzej wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
serandrzej wrote:I followed properly (as it seems) the upgrade procedure, I did format / root partition, but left /home untouched, just assigned new /home to old /home, while new / root partition was placed on old, formatted / root.
I don't understand, did you update your old system or install a new one?
thanks for response
I have upgraded from stretch to buster. stretch (and jessie before) worked fine (apart from minor glitches I got used to live with - I put them down to the simplicity of my netbook asus x102b or sth like this)
If you did an upgrade and not a new installation... why "I did format"???
Now I can see that system is booting directly into / root partition instead of /home which ends up with GUI not loading, only cmd line is available. But I can access /home in graphical mode from ubuntu (as well as via cmd), so files are in place.
"boot into" / "instead of"?? so you can get to a command line and

ls /home
is empty? Execute

mount [or] cat /etc/mtab
to see what is mounted and where

serandrzej

#30 Post by serandrzej »

djk44883 wrote:If you did an upgrade and not a new installation... why "I did format"???
at first I did regular upgrade (I followed the whole procedure update, dist upgrade, change source.list update.. etc - I probably followed every step and in the right order, on my other laptop it worked but there are only 2 systems and no separate /, /home)
but it failed, no GUI, so I installed buster from CD on top of lame buster which was already there. this ofcourse did not produce expected result, then I installed from CD several times, to no avail, no GUI.
Now I can see that system is booting directly into / root partition instead of /home which ends up with GUI not loading, only cmd line is available. But I can access /home in graphical mode from ubuntu (as well as via cmd), so files are in place.
djk44883 wrote:"boot into" / "instead of"?? so you can get to a command line and

ls /home
is empty?
I expected the system to boot into /home partition via GUI, and not /. and yes, command line is the only interface now and ls /home returns some files, moreover, all the files in from stretch /home partition are in place, and I can access them, and from ubuntu also in graphical mode.
djk44883 wrote:Execute

mount [or] cat /etc/mtab
to see what is mounted and where
cat /etc/mtab returns this:

sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
udev /dev devtmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,size=1712712k,nr_inodes=428178,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000 0 0
tmpfs /run tmpfs rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=346464k,mode=755 0 0
/dev/sda5 / ext4 rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 0
securityfs /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
tmpfs /run/lock tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k 0 0
tmpfs /sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755 0 0
cgroup2 /sys/fs/cgroup/unified cgroup2 rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,name=systemd 0 0
pstore /sys/fs/pstore pstore rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars efivarfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
bpf /sys/fs/bpf bpf rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=700 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/devices cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/pids cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/rdma cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,rdma 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/memory cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory 0 0
systemd-1 /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc autofs rw,relatime,fd=31,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=11092 0 0
mqueue /dev/mqueue mqueue rw,relatime 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
hugetlbfs /dev/hugepages hugetlbfs rw,relatime,pagesize=2M 0 0
/dev/sda8 /home ext4 rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/sda1 /boot/efi vfat rw,relatime,fmask=0077,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /run/user/0 tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=346460k,mode=700 0 0

/dev/sda8 is buster /home and /dev/sda5 is /

djk44883

#31 Post by djk44883 »

serandrzej wrote:
djk44883 wrote:If you did an upgrade and not a new installation... why "I did format"???
at first I did regular upgrade (I followed the whole procedure update, dist upgrade, change source.list update.. etc - I probably followed every step and in the right order, on my other laptop it worked but there are only 2 systems and no separate /, /home)
but it failed, no GUI, so I installed buster from CD on top of lame buster which was already there. this ofcourse did not produce expected result, then I installed from CD several times, to no avail, no GUI.
oh my! You might have considered asking for assistance... before you, uhm, well here you are now.

/etc/mtab does show /home is mounted. When your system does boot "into /" Do you have any messages? Have you tried startx ?

the last line in mtab -

tmpfs /run/user/0 tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=346460k,mode=700 0 0
This is above me, but I don't think that's you logged on your system as a regular user. I think you're user 1000, maybe -
tmpfs /run/user/1000 tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=815544k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0
since I'm not clear on this, I don't know where to go yet. No just constantly re-installing probably won't fix something if you don't know what you're fixing.

No busybox? Not in maintenance mode? Not using root password?

One more thing, if you re-installed, then the boot menu comes from the debian installation now? or has it always?

serandrzej

#32 Post by serandrzej »

djk44883 wrote:oh my! You might have considered asking for assistance... before you, uhm, well here you are now.
yes, but I did consulted the net, and thought that I followed properly all prescribed procedure.
djk44883 wrote:/etc/mtab does show /home is mounted. When your system does boot "into /" Do you have any messages? Have you tried startx ?
just tried starx. and what struck me is that it says "operating system Linux 4.9.0-8.."
while uname -a returns 4.19.0-5
also "KERNEL command line: BOOT_IMAGE_=(..) root=UUID=30a48c54-5cd5-4607-a70d-a1b7ac761ce0 ro quiet"
something feels wrong with the UUID.
then it reports also several errors:
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: connection refused
xinit: server error

and when buster boots into /, yes there are quite a number of messages.
djk44883 wrote:No busybox? Not in maintenance mode? Not using root password?
I can do anything only on root password, my account not on sudoers list.
I think I tried in maintenance mode (will try again) I managed to go into recovery mode - but no success. what's busy box - I don't know.
djk44883 wrote:One more thing, if you re-installed, then the boot menu comes from the debian installation now? or has it always?
boot menu is always debian's. except when I ran update-grub from ubuntu. after another reistall of buster it's again debian's.

djk44883

#33 Post by djk44883 »

just tried starx. and what struck me is that it says "operating system Linux 4.9.0-8.."
while uname -a returns 4.19.0-5
also "KERNEL command line: BOOT_IMAGE_=(..) root=UUID=30a48c54-5cd5-4607-a70d-a1b7ac761ce0 ro quiet"
something feels wrong with the UUID.
then it reports also several errors:
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: connection refused
xinit: server erro
Maybe your installation isn't so messed up as your booting wrong. That UUID doesn't match any that you posed in your first blkid... so yea, that seems messed up.

Since I'm just getting pieces, can't say for sure. Your user not being in sudo, but you can log in as a "normal" user? (Of course, as root you could add yourself to sudo, but that's a different issue) Just wonder if your account exists and is functional.

You really don't want to see something about busybox. It's what I get when a system fails to boot, part way through, and pukes into maintenance mode, but only if you've set a root password.

Although systemd has it's journalctl facility, there are still some info in /var/log files. It's a pita via a console, but if you can access the filesystem via ubuntu see if there's anything. Check /var/log/installer and see if the install left any messages about not finishing.

serandrzej

#34 Post by serandrzej »

djk44883 wrote: root=UUID=30a48c54-5cd5-4607-a70d-a1b7ac761ce0 ro quiet"
That UUID doesn't match any that you posed in your first blkid... so yea, that seems messed up.
correction, UUID=30a48c54-5cd5-4607-a70d-a1b7ac761ce0 is now assigned to dev/sda5 - root.
As the partition has been formatted several times since my first blkid, the UUID must have changed. So the UUID is ok. should have updated blkid. my mistake.

Also startx reads "Build Operating System Linux 4.9.0-8 (...)
Current Operating System Linux debian1 4.19.0-5..." - so my previous information was misleading, sorry for that

serandrzej

#35 Post by serandrzej »

djk44883 wrote:
/etc/mtab does show /home is mounted. When your system does boot "into /" Do you have any messages? Have you tried startx ?
I can't upload dmesg file, and pasting the result wouldn't make sense. what I'm getting on booting and also found in dmesg is that (30 or so same lines) :
  • [ 14.042288] pstore: crypto_comp_decompress failed, ret = -22!
    [ 14.042400] pstore: decompression failed: -22
    [ 14.043868] pstore: crypto_comp_decompress failed, ret = -22!
    [ 14.043976] pstore: decompression failed: -22
also something abt radeon (radeon kernel modesetting for R600 or later requires firmware installed), amdgpu (amdgpu requires firmware installed) - but these ones showed also on stretch and jessie - don't have any impact probably

serandrzej

#36 Post by serandrzej »

djk44883 wrote:
Although systemd has it's journalctl facility, there are still some info in /var/log files. It's a pita via a console, but if you can access the filesystem via ubuntu see if there's anything. Check /var/log/installer and see if the install left any messages about not finishing.
nothing suspicious in /var/log/installer, in status file all packages have "Status: install ok" and then "installed" or "unpacked". neither did I spot anything in hardware-summary and Xorg.0.log (though I don't know how something wrong should look like).

Then in deamon.log I found a number of entries about lightdm failure:

Aug 11 07:30:42 debian1 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
Aug 11 07:30:42 debian1 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 3.
Aug 11 07:30:42 debian1 systemd[1]: Stopped Light Display Manager.
Aug 11 07:30:42 debian1 systemd[1]: Starting Light Display Manager...
Aug 11 07:30:42 debian1 systemd[1]: systemd-update-utmp-runlevel.service: Succeeded.
Aug 11 07:30:42 debian1 systemd[1]: Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.
Aug 11 07:30:42 debian1 systemd[1]: Started Light Display Manager.
Aug 11 07:30:42 debian1 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Aug 11 07:30:42 debian1 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Aug 11 07:30:42 debian1 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
Aug 11 07:30:42 debian1 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 4.
Aug 11 07:30:42 debian1 systemd[1]: Stopped Light Display Manager.
Aug 11 07:30:42 debian1 systemd[1]: Starting Light Display Manager...
Aug 11 07:30:43 debian1 systemd[1]: Started Light Display Manager.
Aug 11 07:30:43 debian1 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Aug 11 07:30:43 debian1 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Aug 11 07:30:43 debian1 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
Aug 11 07:30:43 debian1 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Aug 11 07:30:43 debian1 systemd[1]: Stopped Light Display Manager.
Aug 11 07:30:43 debian1 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Aug 11 07:30:43 debian1 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Aug 11 07:30:43 debian1 systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.
Aug 11 07:30:43 debian1 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Triggering OnFailure= dependencies.
Aug 11 07:30:43 debian1 systemd[1]: Starting Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen...
Aug 11 07:30:43 debian1 systemd[1]: plymouth-quit.service: Succeeded.
Aug 11 07:30:43 debian1 systemd[1]: Started Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen.

djk44883

#37 Post by djk44883 »

serandrzej wrote: correction, UUID=30a48c54-5cd5-4607-a70d-a1b7ac761ce0 is now assigned to dev/sda5 - root.
As the partition has been formatted several times since my first blkid, the UUID must have changed. So the UUID is ok. should have updated blkid. my mistake.
alright... stop re-re-re-installing, you've proved it's not the answer.
Also startx reads "Build Operating System Linux 4.9.0-8 (...)
Current Operating System Linux debian1 4.19.0-5..." - so my previous information was misleading, sorry for that
That's not as alarming as you'd think. I checked my /var/log/Xorg.0.log -

[     6.776] Build Operating System: Linux 4.9.0-8-amd64 x86_64 Debian
[     6.776] Current Operating System: Linux htpc 4.19.0-5-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.37-6 (2019-07-18) x86_64
Thinking the Build, is the system used to compile xorg-server - not your's! Misleading!? Your previous post truncated Build - "operating system Linux 4.9.0-8.." while negating the Current
also something abt radeon (radeon kernel modesetting for R600 or later requires firmware installed), amdgpu (amdgpu requires firmware installed) - but these ones showed also on stretch and jessie - don't have any impact probably
"requires" - probably no impact? https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo But if you needed proprietary firmware, installer should have made it known.

Use your ubuntu system, mount the debian partition and find what errors are in /var/log/Xorg.0.log maybe, you have a video driver issue. Still, you never answer that you can log in as a regular user and access your home directory - your system is otherwise working.

Trying to understand, starting an X session and loading the desktop environment and/or window manager - is booting into "/home" and "into / root partition" is how you term a console session or the terminal?

serandrzej

#38 Post by serandrzej »

djk44883 wrote:Trying to understand, starting an X session and loading the desktop environment and/or window manager - is booting into "/home" and "into / root partition" is how you term a console session or the terminal?
yes, that's correct, I mean that's how I term those two processes, ie loading desktop env and opening console session.

serandrzej

#39 Post by serandrzej »

djk44883 wrote: Use your ubuntu system, mount the debian partition and find what errors are in /var/log/Xorg.0.log maybe, you have a video driver issue.
having run

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
in debian console I get:

(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[    27.282] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[    27.282] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[    27.283] (EE) Unable to find a valid framebuffer device
[    27.284] (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
[    27.284] (EE) 
[    27.284] (EE) Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs        for all framebuffer devices
[    27.284] (EE) 
[    27.285] (EE) 
[    27.285] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
[    27.285] (EE) 
[    27.295] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
(the same entries I found viewing the file from ubuntu GUI.)
also, yes I may have issues with video drivers, but what puzzles me is why linux mint fails to load, even if for some time it did load into GUI (after upgrade to buster, that is).
I found this https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=238302 - but this is about nvidia. now, sorry if it's a silly question - if I have radeon this means that I don't use nvidia, right?
Moreover, I recall having issues with lightdm on upgrade in the past but I don't remember how I solved them, probably by clean install. maybe it's an issue related to xfce flavour?
djk44883 wrote: Still, you never answer that you can log in as a regular user and access your home directory - your system is otherwise working.
what do you mean exactly? I can log as a non-root user, just don't have sudo rights, at the moment I don't need them. do you need a feedback for this?

djk44883

#40 Post by djk44883 »

serandrzej wrote: cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
Sometimes, the thing with error, warning, panic, or fatal messages - you kinda want to know what happened before situations was created.

It is a great way to extract error messages.