Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't install Wireless driver on Debian 9 - Dell Inspiron 54

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
pedronovaes

Can't install Wireless driver on Debian 9 - Dell Inspiron 54

#1 Post by pedronovaes »

I can't install the wireless driver on Debian 9. My computer is a Dell Inspiron 5482 2 in 1 and my wireless driver is 00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 9df0 (rev 30).
When I try to install, I made this command apt-get update && apt-get install firmware-iwlwifi, but it doesn't work. Now, I'm using Ubuntu but I want to reinstall Debian.
I would like to know what wireless driver my computer contains and how can I install this driver on Debian 10.

Thanks

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Can't install Wireless driver on Debian 9 - Dell Inspiro

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

pedronovaes wrote:I made this command apt-get update && apt-get install firmware-iwlwifi, but it doesn't work
What do you mean by "doesn't work", exactly? The device doesn't appear to be in the PCI database for your Debian 9 system so the driver is unlikely to be present in the kernel.

Try a live version of Debian 10 to check if that supports it, you will need one of the unofficial images that include non-free firmware.

See also http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142808
deadbang

emariz

#3 Post by emariz »

Is this your device?
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Intel_Dual_Ba ... _(9560NGW)

If it is, then, according to this page, it is my understanding that it should be supported by the firmware in firmware-iwlwifi (the version in Testing/ Sid is newer than the on in Stable).
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... rking.html

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

New firmware does no good if the driver in the kernel doesn't support the hardware, so you need at least the newest kernel in stretch-backports (4.19) or even the latest Liquorix kernel for Stretch, currently a 5.2.8 kernel. The stock 4.9 Stretch kernel driver certainly doesn't support the 9560.
MX Linux packager and developer

pedronovaes

#5 Post by pedronovaes »

Guys, thank you so much for your answers. I'll try to install the new Debian 10 Buster since it has the 4.19 kernel version.
My other question is how can I configure the new Dell BIOS to accept a bootable pen-drive?

Thanks.

scouser

#6 Post by scouser »

Start laptop and when DELL logo comes up press the F12 and you can select the usb from there and it will boot from your selection.
:D

pedronovaes

#7 Post by pedronovaes »

scouser wrote:Start laptop and when DELL logo comes up press the F12 and you can select the usb from there and it will boot from your selection.
:D
I tried it but with the new Dell BIOS, I couldn't.