Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can shell mean a translator?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
hack3rcon

Can shell mean a translator?

#1 Post by hack3rcon »

Hello,
Can Linux shell mean a translator? Computer just understand 0 and 1 and a shell translate out tasks for the computer. Is it right?

Thanks.

ruwolf

Re: Can shell mean a translator?

#2 Post by ruwolf »

I think, you are quite right:
Brian W. Kernighan[/url] & [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Pike]Rob Pike wrote:Although most users think of the shell as an interactive command interpreter, it is really a programming language in which each statement runs a command. Because it must satisfy both the interactive and programming aspects of command execution, it is a strange language, shaped as much by history as by design.

hack3rcon

#3 Post by hack3rcon »

ruwolf wrote:I think, you are quite right:
Brian W. Kernighan[/url] & [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Pike]Rob Pike wrote:Although most users think of the shell as an interactive command interpreter, it is really a programming language in which each statement runs a command. Because it must satisfy both the interactive and programming aspects of command execution, it is a strange language, shaped as much by history as by design.
Thank you.
Can I say, The GNU desktop working on shell too? For example, When I copy and paste a file in the Desktop then computer runs my commands in shell on the background.

pylkko

#4 Post by pylkko »

it is not possible to give answers to thes questions without you actually putting the verbatim content of your homework/assignemnts here. However, do notice that desktops do also have "shells" like GNOME Shell for example

djk44883

#5 Post by djk44883 »

Your quote more explained how a shell is or can be a translator, not necessarily mean translator.

Computers don''t understand 0 and 1, people do, computers understand binary either it is, or isn't... we call it 0 or 1 - depending on it's "state"

hack3rcon

#6 Post by hack3rcon »

pylkko wrote:it is not possible to give answers to thes questions without you actually putting the verbatim content of your homework/assignemnts here. However, do notice that desktops do also have "shells" like GNOME Shell for example
It is not homework. I want to know.

cuckooflew

#7 Post by cuckooflew »

It is hard to make any sense, of your nonsense, to start with NO "shell" does not mean "translator", look the words up in a dictionary, Do you know what a dictionary is ?
If you want to use a command shell, like csh,ksh,or bash, it can be used to do translations, and run a translator, you need to have some kind of translator script, or program installed, there are various , or write your own.
https://www.ostechnix.com/use-google-tr ... ine-linux/
It is not homework. I want to know.

If you want to know, get off your lazy butt, and go to the library, read some books, if you know how to read ?
Learn how to use a dictionary, and you don't really need to go to a library, everything they have in the libraries is accessable online, that is one of the many uses a computer can be used for. Stop being such a lech and help vampire, use your PC to search the data bases, and find the things you want to know.
https://www.tecmint.com/command-line-la ... for-linux/
There is also this, for Debian in the Debian repositories, it is a pretty good package:
https://packages.debian.org/buster/apertium
However a leech like you will never learn, or know how to use it, because vampires and leeches do not read manuals, or do anyithing to help them selves, thus condemed to going thru life, Want to know, but don't know,
wanna know, but nobody show me, wanna bee hacker but never will be because nobody never showme.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

djk44883

#8 Post by djk44883 »

If you really believe they lack the capacity to discover their own answers... how is you bullying them going to make any impact?

Cyberbullying is a horrendous activity.

https://www.stopbullying.gov/

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by sunrat »

djk44883 wrote:If you really believe they lack the capacity to discover their own answers... how is you bullying them going to make any impact?

Cyberbullying is a horrendous activity.

https://www.stopbullying.gov/
+1
The OP asks a lot of incomprehensible nonsense questions but the best response is just ignore them. There is NEVER a good reason for cyberbullying.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

pylkko

#10 Post by pylkko »

It is apparent that the original questions are not very well expressed/formatted. In a way it does not matter because readers with good faith can more or less get down to the point in any case. But you still are left thinking that there might be room for better answers and discussions if the questions were more precise and well formatted. For example, I am not sure what the concept "translator" refers to here. There is a technical computer/kernel term called "translator" (See https://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-doc-translator) but in this case it probably means more like translation from human input to binary?

Nevertheless, the lesson to be learned is that if you ask well formatted good questions, you get quality answers (maybe), but when you don't you get his kind of stuff...

hack3rcon

#11 Post by hack3rcon »

In "Terminal" you type "cp" for copy a file, but computer just understand 0 and 1 then who convert the copy command instructions to 0 and 1 for the computer?

djk44883

#12 Post by djk44883 »

hack3rcon wrote:In "Terminal" you type "cp" for copy a file, but computer just understand 0 and 1 then who convert the copy command instructions to 0 and 1 for the computer?
Now it's confusing, starts out with translator, always thought it was interpreter, now you're talking converter.

I don't know, who?

hack3rcon

#13 Post by hack3rcon »

djk44883 wrote:
hack3rcon wrote:In "Terminal" you type "cp" for copy a file, but computer just understand 0 and 1 then who convert the copy command instructions to 0 and 1 for the computer?
Now it's confusing, starts out with translator, always thought it was interpreter, now you're talking converter.

I don't know, who?
I guess you must read an article like https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-does ... hmed-mousa.
OK, Can you tell me how Terminal work?

djk44883

#14 Post by djk44883 »

hack3rcon wrote:I guess you must read an article like https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-does ... hmed-mousa.
OK, Can you tell me how Terminal work?
You may be doing too much guessing. As I first read your citation, I figured it was an over simplification for typical people like Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, LinkedIn, Google+ users. It appears to have very distorted information, lets not scrutinize that just now - right to the bottom:
Word for word 5 months prior posted by someone else!! He not only didn't write it, he didn't even edit anything to make it look different!! If you look on the Quora page you find several articles (with out grammar errors) with an actual, serious explanations!!

"Can I tell you how Terminal work?"... if you believe "when you press the key 'A', your keyboard sends a combination of 1s and 0s through a bundle of 7 wires" - nope. I have a wireless keyboard, my PS/2 keyboard had 6 wires, and now my USB keyboards have 4 two are for the USB 5v +/-

pylkko

#15 Post by pylkko »

if you believe "when you press the key 'A', your keyboard sends a combination of 1s and 0s through a bundle of 7 wires" - nope. [and so on]
Well, to be fair, the fact that some computer buses use a serialized architecture and do not send the bits in a parallel manner does not really make that guy's point invalid, now does it? But the way that the peripherals send the data is a bit off topic, if the question is how a shell works. The wikipedia article on shells does well in explaining it as an interface and even why it is called "a shell".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_(computing)

djk44883

#16 Post by djk44883 »

pylkko wrote: Well, to be fair, the fact that some computer buses use a serialized architecture and do not send the bits in a parallel manner does not really make that guy's point invalid, now does it? But the way that the peripherals send the data is a bit off topic,
yes, getting off topic... keyboards send keyboard scancodes! press a key it sends a signal, not a "switch" toggling multiple wires! Leaning towards topic, the article, completely missing this leads me to believe it's mostly hogwash.
pylkko wrote:The wikipedia article on shells does well in explaining it as an interface and even why it is called "a shell".
Virtually everything you read refers to them as interpreter. There is enough of a subtle difference between the two. A translator, a shell really isn't - but it may be semantics to some.

hack3rcon

#17 Post by hack3rcon »

pylkko wrote:
if you believe "when you press the key 'A', your keyboard sends a combination of 1s and 0s through a bundle of 7 wires" - nope. [and so on]
Well, to be fair, the fact that some computer buses use a serialized architecture and do not send the bits in a parallel manner does not really make that guy's point invalid, now does it? But the way that the peripherals send the data is a bit off topic, if the question is how a shell works. The wikipedia article on shells does well in explaining it as an interface and even why it is called "a shell".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_(computing)
Thanks.
Thus GUI is a kind of shell?
Who translate our tasks into 0 and 1 for the computer?

pylkko

#18 Post by pylkko »

djk44883 wrote:[
yes, getting off topic... keyboards send keyboard scancodes! press a key it sends a signal, not a "switch" toggling multiple wires! Leaning towards topic, the article, completely missing this leads me to believe it's mostly hogwash.
I share your mistrust in the author. At some point he even writes "Walla!"... I guess he is trying to write the French word "voilà"...

However, that is essentially how most computer peripherals work. ASCII characters (the simple set) are expressed in 7-bits
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... scii-table

So you can use 7 wires with either 1 or 0 to represent them all (each keyboard key, see above link). In practice, this binary representation is done using a high voltage (say 5 V) to represent the 1 and a ground (0 V) to represent the 0. These are essentially switches, if you pass electricity through, you get a 1, if you cut the current off, you get a 0.

The reason some busses like i2C and USB can have only 2 wires for data is because they send all of the 7 or more bits on the same line, using some process with which the data can be separated into the original 7 or many. for example, they can send the first wire on the first millisecond, the second on the second and so on. There are many different ways to do this, but essentially the idea is to send the many parallel signals over only one line
hack3rcon wrote: Thanks.
I wouldn't say that any graphical interface is a shell. However, some are or can be. For example GNOME-shell is a shell, or the interpreter in a Python IDE, but the graphical interface for rsync isn't. The term is kind of hazy and was never meant to be that exact. Most often people think of a non-graphical program which interactively responds to user inputted comannds when they hear the word "shell'

djk44883

#19 Post by djk44883 »

pylkko wrote:So you can use 7 wires with either 1 or 0 to represent them all (each keyboard key, see above link). In practice, this binary representation is done using a high voltage (say 5 V) to represent the 1 and a ground (0 V) to represent the 0. These are essentially switches, if you pass electricity through, you get a 1, if you cut the current off, you get a 0.
This somewhat goes back to a post I made at the beginning.
Computers don''t understand 0 and 1, people do, computers understand binary either it is, or isn't... we call it 0 or 1 - depending on it's "state"

5V and 0V represent a 1 or 0 to people. A computer understand, either it is, or it isn't. People call it one or zero so as to understand things.

I don't completely refute your logic. But we don't truly believe a keyboard is "hardwired" to send A no matter what. It sends a keyboard scan-code, and computers are programed to accept it as A... but it doesn't have to. scan-codes can be set keys to de virtually what every programming dictates. It doesn't send an ASCII65 necessarily.

hack3rcon

#20 Post by hack3rcon »

pylkko wrote:
djk44883 wrote:[
I share your mistrust in the author. At some point he even writes "Walla!"... I guess he is trying to write the French word "voilà"...

However, that is essentially how most computer peripherals work. ASCII characters (the simple set) are expressed in 7-bits
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... scii-table

So you can use 7 wires with either 1 or 0 to represent them all (each keyboard key, see above link). In practice, this binary representation is done using a high voltage (say 5 V) to represent the 1 and a ground (0 V) to represent the 0. These are essentially switches, if you pass electricity through, you get a 1, if you cut the current off, you get a 0.

The reason some busses like i2C and USB can have only 2 wires for data is because they send all of the 7 or more bits on the same line, using some process with which the data can be separated into the original 7 or many. for example, they can send the first wire on the first millisecond, the second on the second and so on. There are many different ways to do this, but essentially the idea is to send the many parallel signals over only one line
hack3rcon wrote: Thanks.
I wouldn't say that any graphical interface is a shell. However, some are or can be. For example GNOME-shell is a shell, or the interpreter in a Python IDE, but the graphical interface for rsync isn't. The term is kind of hazy and was never meant to be that exact. Most often people think of a non-graphical program which interactively responds to user inputted comannds when they hear the word "shell'
So, When I'm working with a graphical environment and do some tasks like copy and paste then who translate it for the computer? copy and paste in a graphical environment not doing by "cp" command?