Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

htop numbers not ading up

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
PsySc0rpi0n

htop numbers not ading up

#1 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

Hello.

I have a new issue.

I'm running Virt-Manager and there is something I'm doing that requires some I/O from an USB drive I have attached to the VM.
This stuff I'm doing requires also some CPU processing power and I was searching htop for that cpu proccessing power "taking place". I mean I was expecting to see some load on my cores but what I see is quite different.

Not only I see almost no load when I look to the top fancy and colored charts but also, the numbers shown at cpu% column on't match at all the top fancy colored charts.

At least one cpu reports 22% of load and none of the top charts reports such value!
Is there a reasonable explanation for this?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: htop numbers not ading up

#2 Post by CwF »

Yes, you only see the user. Any accurate utility would need to be root to see it all.

Just wait until you get 20GB+ memory loads and a handful of vm cores at 100% it won't make any sense at all! So basically, ignore it...

PsySc0rpi0n

#3 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

CwF wrote:Yes, you only see the user. Any accurate utility would need to be root to see it all.

Just wait until you get 20GB+ memory loads and a handful of vm cores at 100% it won't make any sense at all! So basically, ignore it...
No even if I run htop as root?

I didn't understand what you mean by "wait until you get 20GB+ memory loads and a handful og vm cores at 100%"

And isn't there any other tool that reports more accurate values?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

I was thinking more of xfce's task manager that doesn't reveal real usage on my system as user dom0. The graph can show 50% cpu while no single task is above 0%. Regular 'top' ran as root right now shows one libvirt+ instance with a %cpu of 471%, and a user terminal with top does show the same. Maybe I totally misunderstood you, and jumped to my task manager thinking.
I guess my point is, I've never added things up, I just let it work!

I have a genmon line on the background of the desktop executing 'uptime' and think that is all the info I need, along with a cpu-freq plugin listing Min/Ave/Max clocks. When the load average is above 7 and min clock is over 3.5 I need to pay attention to room temperature. Up to that current limit, it's all "within the envelope" so I don't worry. with those two indicators, and the audible ramp up of fans, I usually notice when something is out of whack.

PsySc0rpi0n

#5 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

CwF wrote:I was thinking more of xfce's task manager that doesn't reveal real usage on my system as user dom0. The graph can show 50% cpu while no single task is above 0%. Regular 'top' ran as root right now shows one libvirt+ instance with a %cpu of 471%, and a user terminal with top does show the same. Maybe I totally misunderstood you, and jumped to my task manager thinking.
I guess my point is, I've never added things up, I just let it work!

I have a genmon line on the background of the desktop executing 'uptime' and think that is all the info I need, along with a cpu-freq plugin listing Min/Ave/Max clocks. When the load average is above 7 and min clock is over 3.5 I need to pay attention to room temperature. Up to that current limit, it's all "within the envelope" so I don't worry. with those two indicators, and the audible ramp up of fans, I usually notice when something is out of whack.

ok, I guess I just have to go with you on that. Listen for fans ramping up and not much more!

Thanks
Psy

pendrachken

#6 Post by pendrachken »

The top bar graph is per CPU core usage, while the bottom is whole cpu% usage ( all cores together ).

The top bar graph is 39.6% when added together, meaning that you are using 39.6% of your total CPU. The bottom adds up to nearly that from what I can see of it in the thumb image - 41.7. The ~2% difference is probably just update lag from processes finishing / starting and not updating the graph more than once every $X amount of time, which is much, much longer than most time processes spend in the CPU.

To explain it better: you could have the bar graph showing 100% on core1 and 0% on the other three cores, and you would be using 25% CPU, which the bottom text part would list as "cpu%" 25.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P