Can shell mean a translator?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Can shell mean a translator?

Postby hack3rcon » 2019-08-10 07:10

Hello,
Can Linux shell mean a translator? Computer just understand 0 and 1 and a shell translate out tasks for the computer. Is it right?

Thanks.
hack3rcon

Re: Can shell mean a translator?

Postby ruwolf » 2019-08-10 07:29

I think, you are quite right:
Brian W. Kernighan & Rob Pike wrote:Although most users think of the shell as an interactive command interpreter, it is really a programming language in which each statement runs a command. Because it must satisfy both the interactive and programming aspects of command execution, it is a strange language, shaped as much by history as by design.
ruwolf

Location: Slovakia, Banovce nad Bebravou, Matice slovenskej 1260/4-7

Postby hack3rcon » 2019-08-10 07:50

ruwolf wrote:I think, you are quite right:
Brian W. Kernighan & Rob Pike wrote:Although most users think of the shell as an interactive command interpreter, it is really a programming language in which each statement runs a command. Because it must satisfy both the interactive and programming aspects of command execution, it is a strange language, shaped as much by history as by design.

Thank you.
Can I say, The GNU desktop working on shell too? For example, When I copy and paste a file in the Desktop then computer runs my commands in shell on the background.
hack3rcon

Postby pylkko » 2019-08-10 19:46

it is not possible to give answers to thes questions without you actually putting the verbatim content of your homework/assignemnts here. However, do notice that desktops do also have "shells" like GNOME Shell for example
pylkko

Postby djk44883 » 2019-08-10 20:24

Your quote more explained how a shell is or can be a translator, not necessarily mean translator.

Computers don''t understand 0 and 1, people do, computers understand binary either it is, or isn't... we call it 0 or 1 - depending on it's "state"
djk44883

Postby hack3rcon » 2019-08-12 04:44

pylkko wrote:it is not possible to give answers to thes questions without you actually putting the verbatim content of your homework/assignemnts here. However, do notice that desktops do also have "shells" like GNOME Shell for example

It is not homework. I want to know.
hack3rcon

Postby cuckooflew » 2019-08-13 15:29

It is hard to make any sense, of your nonsense, to start with NO "shell" does not mean "translator", look the words up in a dictionary, Do you know what a dictionary is ?
If you want to use a command shell, like csh,ksh,or bash, it can be used to do translations, and run a translator, you need to have some kind of translator script, or program installed, there are various , or write your own.
https://www.ostechnix.com/use-google-translate-commandline-linux/
It is not homework. I want to know.

If you want to know, get off your lazy butt, and go to the library, read some books, if you know how to read ?
Learn how to use a dictionary, and you don't really need to go to a library, everything they have in the libraries is accessable online, that is one of the many uses a computer can be used for. Stop being such a lech and help vampire, use your PC to search the data bases, and find the things you want to know.
https://www.tecmint.com/command-line-language-translators-for-linux/
There is also this, for Debian in the Debian repositories, it is a pretty good package:
https://packages.debian.org/buster/apertium
However a leech like you will never learn, or know how to use it, because vampires and leeches do not read manuals, or do anyithing to help them selves, thus condemed to going thru life, Want to know, but don't know,
wanna know, but nobody show me, wanna bee hacker but never will be because nobody never showme.
My grand father knows all about everything:
…one flew east, one flew west,
One flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
cuckooflew

Postby djk44883 » 2019-08-13 22:37

If you really believe they lack the capacity to discover their own answers... how is you bullying them going to make any impact?

Cyberbullying is a horrendous activity.

https://www.stopbullying.gov/
djk44883

Postby sunrat » 2019-08-14 01:21

djk44883 wrote:If you really believe they lack the capacity to discover their own answers... how is you bullying them going to make any impact?

Cyberbullying is a horrendous activity.

https://www.stopbullying.gov/

+1
The OP asks a lot of incomprehensible nonsense questions but the best response is just ignore them. There is NEVER a good reason for cyberbullying.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby pylkko » 2019-08-14 07:42

It is apparent that the original questions are not very well expressed/formatted. In a way it does not matter because readers with good faith can more or less get down to the point in any case. But you still are left thinking that there might be room for better answers and discussions if the questions were more precise and well formatted. For example, I am not sure what the concept "translator" refers to here. There is a technical computer/kernel term called "translator" (See https://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-doc-translator) but in this case it probably means more like translation from human input to binary?

Nevertheless, the lesson to be learned is that if you ask well formatted good questions, you get quality answers (maybe), but when you don't you get his kind of stuff...
pylkko

Postby hack3rcon » 2019-08-15 21:26

In "Terminal" you type "cp" for copy a file, but computer just understand 0 and 1 then who convert the copy command instructions to 0 and 1 for the computer?
hack3rcon

Postby djk44883 » 2019-08-15 21:31

hack3rcon wrote:In "Terminal" you type "cp" for copy a file, but computer just understand 0 and 1 then who convert the copy command instructions to 0 and 1 for the computer?

Now it's confusing, starts out with translator, always thought it was interpreter, now you're talking converter.

I don't know, who?
djk44883

Postby hack3rcon » 2019-08-17 05:12

djk44883 wrote:
hack3rcon wrote:In "Terminal" you type "cp" for copy a file, but computer just understand 0 and 1 then who convert the copy command instructions to 0 and 1 for the computer?

Now it's confusing, starts out with translator, always thought it was interpreter, now you're talking converter.

I don't know, who?

I guess you must read an article like https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-does-computer-understand-only-language-1s-0s-ahmed-mousa.
OK, Can you tell me how Terminal work?
hack3rcon

Postby djk44883 » 2019-08-17 10:01

hack3rcon wrote:I guess you must read an article like https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-does-computer-understand-only-language-1s-0s-ahmed-mousa.
OK, Can you tell me how Terminal work?

You may be doing too much guessing. As I first read your citation, I figured it was an over simplification for typical people like Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, LinkedIn, Google+ users. It appears to have very distorted information, lets not scrutinize that just now - right to the bottom:

Word for word 5 months prior posted by someone else!! He not only didn't write it, he didn't even edit anything to make it look different!! If you look on the Quora page you find several articles (with out grammar errors) with an actual, serious explanations!!

"Can I tell you how Terminal work?"... if you believe "when you press the key 'A', your keyboard sends a combination of 1s and 0s through a bundle of 7 wires" - nope. I have a wireless keyboard, my PS/2 keyboard had 6 wires, and now my USB keyboards have 4 two are for the USB 5v +/-
djk44883

Postby pylkko » 2019-08-17 12:22

if you believe "when you press the key 'A', your keyboard sends a combination of 1s and 0s through a bundle of 7 wires" - nope. [and so on]

Well, to be fair, the fact that some computer buses use a serialized architecture and do not send the bits in a parallel manner does not really make that guy's point invalid, now does it? But the way that the peripherals send the data is a bit off topic, if the question is how a shell works. The wikipedia article on shells does well in explaining it as an interface and even why it is called "a shell".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_(computing)
pylkko

Next

Return to Beginners Questions