Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Vulkan Not Working with nvidia-driver Package

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Titan91

Vulkan Not Working with nvidia-driver Package

#1 Post by Titan91 »

I'm running a Debian Stretch 64-bit base with a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti card. I've installed nvidia-driver=418.74-1~bpo9+1 from the stretch-backports repository. Nvidia states this development driver supports Vulkan 1.1. I also installed libvulkan1 and vulkan-utils from the same repo. Vulkaninfo is telling me I have an incompatible driver. This is after rebooting and allowing the kernel to utilize the new driver:

Code: Select all

===========
VULKAN INFO
===========

Vulkan Instance Version: 1.1.70

Cannot create Vulkan instance.
/build/vulkan-IxfvhA/vulkan-1.1.70+dfsg1/demos/vulkaninfo.c:768: failed with VK_ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER
This thread shows a similar issue, which was resolved by recreating the initrd RAMdisk file. Should I try this? Do I also need nvidia-vulkan-common and/or nvidia-vulkan-icd?

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=246293

stevepusser

Re: Vulkan Not Working with nvidia-driver Package

#2 Post by stevepusser »

It's possible you may need a newer kernel or Mesa from backports to support Vulkan, since Arch has bleeding edge versions of those already.
MX Linux packager and developer

Titan91

#3 Post by Titan91 »

Thanks, I've done some research saying the binary Nvidia drivers are needed over Mesa, unless I'm missing something? I’ll try updating the kernel, but the last one that seems to be available for Stretch is what I am running, 4.9.0.9.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

It probably would be easier to get working on the current release, Debian 10 Buster. Is there a problem with installing that?
MX Linux packager and developer

Titan91

#5 Post by Titan91 »

Thanks for the suggestion. Not looking to install Debian Buster at this time, will probably just get an AMD card and use the built-in open source drivers from AMD. Seems people have a lot better luck going that route.