Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Sound volume control app

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
shogun1234

[SOLVED] Sound volume control app

#1 Post by shogun1234 »

Right now I use i3wm as my daily working environment. It's fine for programming task. But it's inconvenience for daily usage, particularly the sound volume control. I use volumeicon for controlling desktop volume through hotkey. Although it works, the downside is its icon display is very small (it can't be adjusted and I do not find enough time patching the code because it's not a language I am familiar) that it's nearly invisible for me. Or when adjusting the volume, no beep sound indicating the current volume level. So my ears frequently get hurt e.g. when I open youtube video, sometimes the broadcast is extremely loud that it's a painful experience.

However when trying to reuse gnome sound volume or similar app, it seems that they all depend on a specific desktop environment. So I do not any app similar to volumeicon. I found some others such as volnoti, but it's not good enough compared to volumeicon (just for me but it doesn't mean others would experience the same). Any others suggestions? Many thanks
Last edited by shogun1234 on 2019-08-24 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

ralph.ronnquist

Re: Sound volume control app

#2 Post by ralph.ronnquist »

There is ''alsamixer'' which is run in a terminal, and ''qasmixer'' doing the same in its own window. Maybe one of those will work for you.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

shogun1234 wrote:the downside is its icon display is very small
Try using libnotify instead, it's an option in the preferences. Needs to have a notification server running though.
deadbang

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by None1975 »

If you use pulseaudio, you can try pasystray. Pasystray enables control of various PulseAudio server settings from the X11 system tray.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

shogun1234

#5 Post by shogun1234 »

None1975 wrote:If you use pulseaudio, you can try pasystray. Pasystray enables control of various PulseAudio server settings from the X11 system tray.
When launching with command pasystray --always-notify, then pressing media key the console throws following error.

Code: Select all

(pasystray:2533): pasystray-WARNING **: 20:46:14.032: [notify] unable to show notification: g-dbus-error-quark: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.Notifications: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileExists: Unit xfce4-notifyd.service failed to load properly: File exists. (18)
This seems to be because I use dunst. Anyway to use dunst instead of xfce4-notifyd?

$ systemctl --user list-dependencies default.target
default.target
● ├─dunst.service
● └─basic.target
●   ├─paths.target
●   ├─sockets.target
●   │ ├─dbus.socket
●   │ ├─dirmngr.socket
●   │ ├─gpg-agent-browser.socket
●   │ ├─gpg-agent-extra.socket
●   │ ├─gpg-agent-ssh.socket
●   │ ├─gpg-agent.socket
●   │ └─pulseaudio.socket
●   └─timers.target

shogun1234

#6 Post by shogun1234 »

ralph.ronnquist wrote:There is ''alsamixer'' which is run in a terminal, and ''qasmixer'' doing the same in its own window. Maybe one of those will work for you.
I use alsamixer as well. Can alsamixer bind with media key? So pressing hotkey can directly change and get notified w/t opening the terminal? I have this question because I can't find doc that mention about this. Thanks

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#7 Post by None1975 »

shogun1234 wrote:This seems to be because I use dunst. Anyway to use dunst instead of xfce4-notifyd?
Just remove dunst and use xfce4-notifyd. i3 with this notification daemon works very well.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

shogun1234

#8 Post by shogun1234 »

None1975 wrote:
shogun1234 wrote:This seems to be because I use dunst. Anyway to use dunst instead of xfce4-notifyd?
Just remove dunst and use xfce4-notifyd. i3 with this notification daemon works very well.

1. Remove dunst

apt-get purge dunst
2. In i3 config (~/.config/i3/config) switching to use pasystray

exec_always --no-startup-id pasystray --always-notify
This looks much better, many thanks!

One more question. Is it possible to produce beep sound (a bit like hinting the current sound level) when pressing the hot key?Sometimes I do not pay attention to the notification so this is useful for me as well. Anyway this is a minor issue. Most appreciate it!