Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Virt-Manager Qemu/KVM USB problem

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Virt-Manager Qemu/KVM USB problem

#21 Post by CwF »

Actually, from the screenshots I don't see the error. I do see evidence of things I wouldn't do, but no errors. If you get past unlocking the drive, and then get to a blank screen, then you need to probe around, it's a config issue in the vm, try a 'startx'. It's salvageable, approach it like bare metal, it's not a vm or disk issue ?

The screenshot shows a clean file system. Other than the fact it does work, I would not recommend passing a single disk encrypted device to a VM. At least set hypervisor caching to 'none'.
Yes, it's good to have ALL OS images setup to be virtualized. Passing the lvm disk should be a rescue or forensics attempt, and not the daily driver. That extra disk should boot the host too btw, so consider setting up your host to be able to be virtualized also, just in case.

There are better ways to utilize extra disk space. I assume the primary host is also on a single disk lvm? If so, any extra space should be linked in to the host disk, but not in a dependent way, and in a crash worthy way. Look into using qcow2 layers and place only the read-write 'runtime' layer on the host. Use the external space for READ-ONLY qcow2 layers, virtual usb qcows, ISO's, or guest controlled simple FS's. I use 3 layers typically, and have 5 disk in my main machine. I do pass 2 spinners to vm's, but with only guest caching.

Before you go much further verify some parachutes. If the power button is setup to shutdown the system it will shut down vm's if the OS is alive and it's some gui lockup. If it is a gui lockup and the system is still running, be aware VM's may continue oblivious to the issue, so learn to identify that, and give things time. It's useful to have a second machine capable of reaching in via ssh, vnc, etc. A vfio assisted vm with it's own kbm can even reach back into host if setup. If the situation is a hardware lock and the OS is indeed froze, identify and fix it before continuing.

Fun!

PsySc0rpi0n

#22 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

CwF wrote:Actually, from the screenshots I don't see the error. I do see evidence of things I wouldn't do, but no errors. If you get past unlocking the drive, and then get to a blank screen, then you need to probe around, it's a config issue in the vm, try a 'startx'. It's salvageable, approach it like bare metal, it's not a vm or disk issue ?

The screenshot shows a clean file system. Other than the fact it does work, I would not recommend passing a single disk encrypted device to a VM. At least set hypervisor caching to 'none'.
Yes, it's good to have ALL OS images setup to be virtualized. Passing the lvm disk should be a rescue or forensics attempt, and not the daily driver. That extra disk should boot the host too btw, so consider setting up your host to be able to be virtualized also, just in case.

There are better ways to utilize extra disk space. I assume the primary host is also on a single disk lvm? If so, any extra space should be linked in to the host disk, but not in a dependent way, and in a crash worthy way. Look into using qcow2 layers and place only the read-write 'runtime' layer on the host. Use the external space for READ-ONLY qcow2 layers, virtual usb qcows, ISO's, or guest controlled simple FS's. I use 3 layers typically, and have 5 disk in my main machine. I do pass 2 spinners to vm's, but with only guest caching.

Before you go much further verify some parachutes. If the power button is setup to shutdown the system it will shut down vm's if the OS is alive and it's some gui lockup. If it is a gui lockup and the system is still running, be aware VM's may continue oblivious to the issue, so learn to identify that, and give things time. It's useful to have a second machine capable of reaching in via ssh, vnc, etc. A vfio assisted vm with it's own kbm can even reach back into host if setup. If the situation is a hardware lock and the OS is indeed froze, identify and fix it before continuing.

Fun!

Thank you for replying again.
You address so many things that I don't even know where to start.

My thing with VMs is just to test things instead of using my host machine to mess with things I never messed before.

Anyway, the problem I see is the messages saying:
Volume group "tugarevo-vg" not found
Cannot process volume group tugarevo-vg
Then it all looks fine. Then at the bottom of the first screen there is another message that seems to raise some flags but I have no idea of what it might mean.
[ OK ] Started Restore /etc/resolv.conf if the system crashed befre th ppp link was shut down.
Then, last line is just weir. on't you agree?
Resuming from hibernationet up successfullypatcher Service...

Code: Select all

journal -xb
shows only the same messages about volume tugarevo volume groups cannot be processed.

Where is that option you say about HyperCisor Cache? Is it in IDE isk Options??

You tell me to probe around but I have no more clues of what to do.
I tried "startx" but that an unknown command. I chose not to install any desktop but even so, somehow I got some desktop GUI installed!.

edited;
I tried to set Hypervision to none in the above screenshot but boot freezes here:

No cpu or disk I/O activity whatsoever. :s

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#23 Post by CwF »

Well I could be doing more harm than good. From the screen shot I see we are not on the same page.

There are many ways to do things, and I'm missing your point and methodology. So I throw out ideas and generalities

The Source path tells me your out bounds to what I'd allow. Can't really address that...
Disk Bus 'IDE' -Why?
Storage format 'qcow2' -thought we we're talking passed disk (raw)?
Cache Mode 'Hypervisor Default' -this is where you find 'none'

IF the broken LVM is on in that qcow2, yes start over.
Keep in mind, not all vm test are valid. No good reason for LVM in a vm. No reason for hibernation either, you do have a pause button ya know?
KISS

PsySc0rpi0n

#24 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

CwF wrote:Well I could be doing more harm than good. From the screen shot I see we are not on the same page.

There are many ways to do things, and I'm missing your point and methodology. So I throw out ideas and generalities

The Source path tells me your out bounds to what I'd allow. Can't really address that...
Disk Bus 'IDE' -Why?
Storage format 'qcow2' -thought we we're talking passed disk (raw)?
Cache Mode 'Hypervisor Default' -this is where you find 'none'

IF the broken LVM is on in that qcow2, yes start over.
Keep in mind, not all vm test are valid. No good reason for LVM in a vm. No reason for hibernation either, you do have a pause button ya know?
KISS
Ok, somehow I made it to work again.

Well, about the disk, I don't remember to have changed anything. I guess I just accepted the default options.

And, I need to apologize about the confusion.
About the raw disk, is already past. I got it working but it was not a good solution. What I needed to do with it, would take ages that way, so I end up doing that operation in my local/real laptop and now I'll try to move it to the VM now that it's complete!

So, at this point, no physical drive is needed in my VM. I'm now trying that this operation don't use so much space in disk and if I can manage to set it up that way, I'll be able to proceed from the VM.

But I got the problem fixed by disabling hibernation by booting from Recovery Mode and then issuing the following command from Debian Wiki:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target
Debian Wiki - Suspend

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#25 Post by CwF »

Just keep doing what you're doing. Think, create, break, fix, discover, repeat.

PsySc0rpi0n

#26 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

CwF wrote:Just keep doing what you're doing. Think, create, break, fix, discover, repeat.
Definitely...

Thanks
Psy

PsySc0rpi0n

#27 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

Hi again.

I'm not sure if this is the correct way of doing this but the way to remove internet connectivity from the VM is to actually remove the hardware that emulates the network card which is the selected one in the below image?

Or is there another more graceful way?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#28 Post by CwF »

Sure, if not using it. I believe net it is hot-pluggable, test that for me!? Add one and remove it live!

Simpler to use control within the vm if you want it off. It doesn't effect spice control if you remove it, I have some without any.

PsySc0rpi0n

#29 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

CwF wrote:Sure, if not using it. I believe net it is hot-pluggable, test that for me!? Add one and remove it live!

Simpler to use control within the vm if you want it off. It doesn't effect spice control if you remove it, I have some without any.
Nice. I removed it. Thanks again.