Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

*ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Picapiedra

*ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module

#1 Post by Picapiedra »

After grub the screen goes black, the operating system does not start. I can start by adding 'nomodeset' in grub, with a low resolution.In this same forum I have seen a solution that does not work for me:

Code: Select all

apt install firmware-amd-graphics
update-initramfs –u
reboot
Info:

lspci -nn | grep -i vga
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Juniper PRO [Radeon HD 5750] [1002:68be]

dmesg | egrep 'drm | radeon'
[    1.780373] [drm] VGACON disable radeon kernel modesetting.
[    1.780398] [drm:radeon_init [radeon]] *ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module!
[    9.573917] [drm] VGACON disable radeon kernel modesetting.
[    9.573952] [drm:radeon_init [radeon]] *ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module!

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
Any help is appreciated.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: *ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module

#2 Post by p.H »

Picapiedra wrote:After grub the screen goes black, the operating system does not start
How do you know ? A black screen does not mean the system did not start.
What happens when booting in recovery mode (advanced options submenu) ?

Picapiedra

#3 Post by Picapiedra »

Hi p.H, thanks for answering.

In the recovery mode the screen also goes black. In normal or recovery mode I have to add 'nomodeset' in grub to start Debian.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

It means that the black screen happens when the kernel module is loaded, not when the graphic server is started (not started in recovery mode).
Are there kernel logs in /var/log/kern.log* at the time of the black screens ?

Picapiedra

#5 Post by Picapiedra »

To make things better I have decided to reinstall. I installed:
Debian 10 + non free firmware DVD ISO

After installation Debian starts well (normal and recovery), but with a low resolution. Show the message:

error radeon kernel modesetting for R66 or later requires firmware installed

I add 'contrib' and 'non-free' in sourcelist. I execute:

apt update
apt install firmware-amd-graphics
update-initramfs –u
Command output:

root@Debian10:~# update-initramfs -u                                                                    
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-5-amd64                                            
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8107e-2.fw for module r816                         9                                                                                  
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8107e-1.fw for module r816                         9                                                                                  
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168h-2.fw for module r816                         9
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168h-1.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168g-3.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168g-2.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8106e-2.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8106e-1.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8411-2.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8411-1.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8402-1.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168f-2.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168f-1.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8105e-1.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168e-2.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168e-1.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw for module r8169
reboot

Now the screen goes black when I start in normal mode and recovery mode. I have to use 'nomodeset' for both modes.

When I enter recovery mode and the screen goes black the kern.log file is not generated. It is only generated when I add 'nomodeset' and Debian starts.

Still showing: *ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by CwF »

You may want to try the amdgpu dirver instead. If both are currently installed this suggest you may need to declare which to use.

/etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf

options amdgpu si_support=1
options amdgpu cik_support=1
/etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf

options radeon si_support=0
options amdgpu cik_support=0
Yours may be a si, or southern island gpu, I'm not sure. I have a few that need this. I'm not sure if you can simply delete radeon and install amdgpu? Install both and declare works for me.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

That error means that only KMS (kernel mode setting) is available for that radeon driver--no userspace mode setting.

There are many results if you do a web search for that error string. How many solutions have you tried, and what were their results?
MX Linux packager and developer

Picapiedra

#8 Post by Picapiedra »

CwF wrote:You may want to try the amdgpu dirver instead. If both are currently installed this suggest you may need to declare which to use.

/etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf

options amdgpu si_support=1
options amdgpu cik_support=1
/etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf

options radeon si_support=0
options radeon cik_support=0
Yours may be a si, or southern island gpu, I'm not sure. I have a few that need this. I'm not sure if you can simply delete radeon and install amdgpu? Install both and declare works for me.
Hi CwF, I tried:

apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu libdrm-amdgpu1
(they were already in their latest version)

And I created both files, but the error remains the same. If in grub I put radeon.modeset = 0 starts, but with low resolution

Picapiedra

#9 Post by Picapiedra »

stevepusser wrote:That error means that only KMS (kernel mode setting) is available for that radeon driver--no userspace mode setting.

There are many results if you do a web search for that error string. How many solutions have you tried, and what were their results?
Hi stevepusser. I have searched the error on google in the last 2 years. I have increased the search to 4 years.

The main problem is that I don't understand anything, I have never read about this topic and I don't know why I have to put radeon.modeset = 0, and why that should fix my problem or load another driver.

All are google solutions:

- Many people solve the problem by eliminating nomodeset, I need it to boot.
- Others with: update-initramfs –u
- Some install the proprietary driver
- Many others with: radeon.modeset = 0 rd.driver.blacklist = radeon
- GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT = "quiet splash radeon.modeset = 0"
- correcting the BIOS configuration display setting from "Switchable Graphics" to "Discrete Graphics"
- apt install firmware-amd-graphics and reboot
- I have read 'it is necessary to load the radeon module at the beginning by adding it in the / etc / modules'. I add 'radeon' to the file and it gives me an error by parameters
- And more...

.... I am trying. I love Debian, but if I don't fix this I will go to the dark side with ubuntu.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by p.H »

Picapiedra wrote:- Others with: update-initramfs –u
This command just rebuilds the initramfs to include any relevant changes (new firmwares, new settings in /etc...).
Here it would just include the ATI/AMD firmware files into the initramfs after you installed firmware-amd-graphics, if the radeon or amdgpu modules are included.
Picapiedra wrote:radeon.modeset = 0
Same effect as nomodeset when using the radeon module.

Note : no spaces before and after "=".
Picapiedra wrote:rd.driver.blacklist = radeon
Prevents loading the radeon module during the initramfs. However the module may be loaded after the initramfs.
Picapiedra wrote:GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT = "quiet splash radeon.modeset = 0"
Just makes inclusion of "radeon.modeset=0" in the kernel command line automatic when generating grub.cfg with update-grub.
Picapiedra wrote:correcting the BIOS configuration display setting from "Switchable Graphics" to "Discrete Graphics"
I don't know what this setting means. Is it the GPU an APU or an add-on card ?
Picapiedra wrote:apt install firmware-amd-graphics
This installs firmwares for AMD/ATI GPUs. These firmwares are required with most GPU (since Radeon HD 2000 series) to enable kernel modesetting (in short : native resolution support) and graphic acceleration.
Picapiedra wrote:I have read 'it is necessary to load the radeon module at the beginning by adding it in the / etc / modules'.
It's not necessary. This module is automatically loaded by udev because it matches your GPU PCI ID.

Basically, nomodeset just disables most of the kernel driver features. It means that it disables the feature that makes your system hang, but also native resolution support (KMS, hence the UMS message). It's all or nothing.

Picapiedra

#11 Post by Picapiedra »

Thanks p.H, with your comments I could understand the tests I was doing.

Today I abandoned the idea of ​​installing Debian .... and when I try another distribution (by usb):

- Lubuntu -> black screen
- Xubuntu -> black screen
- Linux mint -> black screen
- Ubuntu mate -> black screen
- Ubuntu -> Black screen
- Centos -> Black screen

I have no explanation for this. I have tried:

- Copy the Debian 10 non free image again and install it on an old notebook. The installation is good, all normal. It is not a USB memory problem

- I have disconnected the components one by one (hd, dvd ...) and trying to launch Ubuntu live, it has not worked. Ubuntu live allows setting parameters, so I have set 'nomodeset' and get booted and shows the message of '* ERROR * No UMS support in radeon module'

Nothing works ........ ... ..... ..... but Windows 7 works fine.

I don't think I can install linux with this video card. Does anybody have any suggestions ?

I want to find Bill Gates and throw the video card to the head hahahaha

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by p.H »

If it is a discrete graphic card, could it be defective ? Radeon HD 5000 GPU series is rather old, so the card must be old too. A common problem with old graphic cards is worn out bulged or leaked electrolytic capacitors.

Otherwise, maybe this computer requires some kernel parameter in order to use the GPU without disabling kernel mode-setting. Either specific to the radeon module (modinfo radeon), or related to PCI or ACPI (kernel-parameters.txt)... Sorry I cannot be more specific, there are so many of them...

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

If it's a desktop, can you see if there's an option to use an integrated GPU in the computer's setup program? If so, switch to that, remove the AMD card, and see if that can get to a GUI with any distro.
MX Linux packager and developer

Picapiedra

#14 Post by Picapiedra »

Thank you for your comments, but I have given up and bought an Nvidia hahahaha. Many days suffering for something that should work the first time.

- The computer does not have an integrated card.
- The card works daily on a Windows 7. I looked for information on kernel configuration parameters for radeon and the task became difficult.
- I have found many forums where there are problems with Linux and the devil Radeon HD 5750, in none of them they manage to solve it. In other models of video card I see that the problem 'No UMS support' is solved in a simple way

Now my Debian 10 :D :) :mrgreen: looks at 1920x1080 with some small adjustment. I had to install the proprietary driver to have the Overscan option. (I can't on the TV).

Thanks for your comments and help.