Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Could I use virtual machine on browser from server

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
asd1234

Could I use virtual machine on browser from server

#1 Post by asd1234 »

Just wondering, is there any way I could host a virtual machine and I could go to a URL that I would be able to use it remotely. I wanted to know if there is a simple way to do this like online libreoffice.

Segfault

Re: Could I use virtual machine on browser from server

#2 Post by Segfault »

There is probably a million ways to play with internet connections. What do you want, something like a proxy or VPN? Heck, you even could install a browser into a remote box and use X forwarding.

trinidad

#3 Post by trinidad »

SSH X11 forwarding would allow you to only allow specific users access, which is probably what you are looking for. You could run gnome-boxes on your server and connect to it remotely and securely with a specific client just using SSH X11 forwarding. You can also connect to your web server with SFTP and use GVFS and your client's browser to view all your web pages remotely with working links without needing a domain name for your server, again allowing specific users access. See below for simple information on this.

https://www.dbts-analytics.com/webserv4.html
https://www.dbts-analytics.com/webserv3.html

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

pcalvert

#4 Post by pcalvert »

I did something similar, but not using a web browser. I installed xrdp and xorgxrdp on the server, and I connected to it via an SSH tunnel using Remmina.

Another option to consider is X2Go. You would install x2goserver on the server, and connect to it using x2goclient or (possibly) Remmina. There's also a web browser plugin (x2goplugin) that may be useful. I've never used X2Go, but it reportedly works quite well.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

asd1234

#5 Post by asd1234 »

How would/could I connect to a virtual machine on a server running gnome boxes from a remote machine?

pylkko

#6 Post by pylkko »

You worded your post so poorly that it looks like some people understood that you want to have a virtual machine and run a browser on it, whereas it appears you might have meant how to access a virtual machine using a browser (kind of like webmail, but just webdesktop). One solution used to do this is VmWare Horizon, but I have no idea what it costs (you serve a full desktop for your users which they can access from a html page). You can, of course, serve a desktop over other tehcnologies. There are, however, many different protocols and methods that can be use to serve desktops. For example, the gnome boxes that you mention can function as a VNC/RDP remote desktop client. You can also use graphical programs over ssh (as was mentioed). So, if you want to get better suggestions, you would need to describe exactly what you want to do and why. What kind of server are you using? is it a service like VPS or your own machine? Does it have to server over the internet or on your local network? Do you need to have it be in a browser or would you be ok with another type of client software? And so on