Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Soft lockup after fresh installation

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
elbraca

Soft lockup after fresh installation

#1 Post by elbraca »

In several years using Linux is the first time I encounter this type of error, although it seems not to be new. After performing a new installation of Debian Buster, every time I tried to log in with my account in normal mode the screen was black and never got to show the desktop.

Since (unfortunately) it is a common problem in some laptops, I proceeded to log in by console (Ctrl + Alt + FN) to start debugging and try to correct it.

To my surprise, every 20 seconds I see an unbearably annoying sign that prevents any task. For example, if I have nano open to modify the sourcelists, the text shown on the screen (deb http ://deb...) is replaced by the error message, forcing me to close and reopen nano to continue editing the document. In the same way, it prevents updating repositories, installing applications or making modifications, get logs, and so fort.

Conclusion: I can't use Debian 10 on my laptop at the moment and I can't find a way to correct the error on my own. I tried different types of installations (DVD, Net, Live), in all the same thing happened. I would appreciate any help you can give me, since I need it to work (at the moment I am with backup laptop, but less powerful) and honestly I would not like to have to change distro.

I leave a capture of the error, although I doubt it is very helpful. I also attach the features of the Laptop:
ASUS ROG GL553VD
+ i7 7700HQ
+ Intel HM175 Express Chipset
+ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

Error message: https://ibb.co/2tJhg2B

Thanks!

Chrisdb

Re: Soft lockup after fresh installation

#2 Post by Chrisdb »

Can we get a complete journal log?
Also, which driver is being used for NVIDIA?

elbraca

#3 Post by elbraca »

Chrisdb wrote:Can we get a complete journal log?
I don't know. I can't log as su in recovery mode (blocked account message error). Is there any other way (I can't use Ctrl + Alt + F)?
Chrisdb wrote:Also, which driver is being used for NVIDIA?
Default configuration after a fresh install.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

elbraca wrote:After performing a new installation of Debian Buster, every time I tried to log in with my account in normal mode the screen was black and never got to show the desktop.
Your Intel graphics card is having trouble with the modesetting DDX driver, switch to Intel's own driver instead: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=706047#p706047

And you will probably want to use Bumblebee for your NVIDIA card, see the relevant Debian wiki page for details about that.

In respect of your soft lockup errors, those are usually caused by faulty (or insufficient) power supplies or overclocking of the CPU.

Have you installed the firmware-linux-nonfree metapackage? That will provide the firmware needed for your video cards and the µcode for your processor.
deadbang

elbraca

#5 Post by elbraca »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:And you will probably want to use Bumblebee for your NVIDIA card, see the relevant Debian wiki page for details about that.
About two years ago I tried to use Bumblebee. After more than 10 attempts of installations with Debian I made a guide to teach step by step to configure the dedicated GPU so that it is the same way that Ubuntu had at that time. Bumblebee never worked on Debian with both Asus laptops with dedicated GPU.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:In respect of your soft lockup errors, those are usually caused by faulty (or insufficient) power supplies or overclocking of the CPU.
In the only operating system that happens to me this problem is in Debian 10. In fact, until a few days ago I had Debian Stretch and I had no problems. I didn't do CPU overclooking.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Have you installed the firmware-linux-nonfree metapackage? That will provide the firmware needed for your video cards and the µcode for your processor.
Unfortunately, I cannot install packages and modify scripts either because the soft lockup error message starts to appear. I also can't enter recovery mode because it says 'root account is locked'.

I honestly don't know what else to do, my chances run out. I find it hard to believe that it is so tedious to install Debian in 2019. At this point I think it would be easier to install Gentoo and that it works correctly at the first ...

elbraca

#6 Post by elbraca »

After 4 days trying to resolve the conflict, I give up. I got tired of dealing with Debian and with zero support. I want to thank the users who tried to help me. With enough pain, since I really like Debian, I'll have to look at another distro for a few months or years, until this stabilizes or buys a laptop that works on Debian without issues.

Now I leave some details that may serve some user:
+ Installing Debian by DVD image 'locks the root account' if you want to use the recovery mode. The same with the Live image installer .iso.
+ Using the net-install .iso you can use the recovery mode.
+ To have internet in the recovery mode you have to install the net-tools. You can do it with a pendrive in FAT-32 format and by downloading the .deb package.
+ I tried to install from the recovery mode firmware-linux-nonfree and also firmware-linux. I managed to log into the system in graphic mode, but soon stopped responding due to soft lock errors. The same when I tried to use console (Ctrl + Alt + F2) on the log-in screen.
+ I tried to do lspci in recovery mode. It returned Nouveau errors and the system was branded.
+ I tried to install the Nvidia drivers following the guide I created a few years ago (the official wiki never worked for me). When I used:

Code: Select all

# apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,') nvidia-driver
it began to throw errors of all kinds. I leave a catch:

ERROR MESSAGES

+ If it booted in normal mode, in less than 30 seconds (either normal mode, Ctrl + Alt + Fx) the system became totally unusable. Impossible to work on the console, get logs, throw commands.

Maybe this is important: Live mode from ISO loaded on a USB was absolutely smooth. Once installed the thing was pretty different.

Thanks again. Hopefully they can fix it soon. This is where I came.

Regards.

elbraca

#7 Post by elbraca »

I leave some attempts I made the last few days, maybe they will help another user to avoid wasting time:
- I tried Debiand 10, hard lock up or soft lock up. Kernel Version: 4.19
- I tried Manjaro, the installer never started. Kernel Version: 4.19
- I tried Sabayon (based on Gentoo), the installer never started. Kernel Version: 4.20
- I installed Gentoo. Hard lock up after installation when trying to make an lspci. Kernel Version: 4.19
- I installed Ubuntu 19.04, absolutely no problem. Kernel Version: 5

I need to try Arch and, if it works, I would be encouraged to say that the problem would be in the Kernel update at ~ 4.19. I used to use Debian Stretch with version 4.9.0.9 and I had no problems.

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

elbraca wrote:I used to use Debian Stretch with version 4.9.0.9 and I had no problems.
Install that again and try upgrading it to buster.
deadbang