Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Does Debian send date anywhere?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Abormot

Does Debian send date anywhere?

#1 Post by Abormot »

Does Debian 10 send data from desktop/server where it had been installed to anywhere? For example, Ubuntu OS sends to Canonical and Amazon - this was the main reason why I am Debian user now.

Probably, the best way is to launch Wireshark for a week and watch the traffic, but I still want to know your opinion guys.

stevepusser

Re: Does Debian send date anywhere?

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Not Debian itself, but some applications such as VLC or Firefox in the Debian repos will ask if you want to opt-in to sending back information to improve the application, or provide a service like album covers. Believe me, if there is any hidden telemetry going home, we would hear about it, like was blown way up beyond reason for Ubuntu.
MX Linux packager and developer

Abormot

#3 Post by Abormot »

Thank for sharing your point of view with me.

Chris

#4 Post by Chris »

After monitoring my Internet connection for 6 months with iftop from Debian 9.9 and 10.0, I have not observed problems with Debian itself. Unfortunately, it looks worse with web browsers, downloaded from Debian, all of which, with the exception of Dillo, are doing spyonage against the user, why I always use the Tor Browser bundle, and if I can not enter a website with it on a rare occasion, then I use the GNU's Free/Libre Web browser IceCat.
The Tor browser will also make it much easier to monitor internet traffic with "Iftop-n-P ".

Abormot

#5 Post by Abormot »

Chris wrote:After monitoring my Internet connection for 6 months with iftop from Debian 9.9 and 10.0, I have not observed problems with Debian itself. Unfortunately, it looks worse with web browsers, downloaded from Debian, all of which, with the exception of Dillo, are doing spyonage against the user, why I always use the Tor Browser bundle, and if I can not enter a website with it on a rare occasion, then I use the GNU's Free/Libre Web browser IceCat.
The Tor browser will also make it much easier to monitor internet traffic with "Iftop-n-P ".
Valuable opinion, thank you.

What about Forefox ESR? Why did not you mention Firefox as a trusted browser?

Segfault

#6 Post by Segfault »

Chris

#7 Post by Chris »

Firefox-ESR, after 5 hours of monitoring with iftop where nothing other than Debian-base, Xorg, JWM, iftop, Whois and Firefox and Firefox only with a blank page and all search engines removed in the setup, and nothing else has been started, then connects it by itself To Google and Amazon. When I then block the IP addresses as it connects to Google and Amazon in iptables then I will over 5 hours have blocked about 100 million Amazon IP addresses and many Google IP addresses, so I will not exactly call it trusted.
Last edited by Chris on 2019-08-22 18:47, edited 1 time in total.

Abormot

#8 Post by Abormot »

Chris wrote:Segfault
Firefox-ESR, after 5 hours of monitoring with iftop where nothing other than Debian-base, Xorg, JWM, iftop, Whois and Firefox and Firefox only with a blank page and all search engines removed in the setup, and nothing else has been started, then connects it by itself To Google and Amazon. When I then block the IP addresses as it connects to Google and Amazon in iptables then I will over 5 hours have blocked about 100 million Amazon IP addresses and many Google IP addresses, so I will not exactly call it trusted.

Segfault, you have subsequently edited your post and removed your content about Firefox-ESR, which of course you are free of, but it puts a question mark about why I have head-on my post and that's not so good. You are now only advertising the special version of Chromium might explain the editing.
Hmmm. Who else can confirm what Chris said about Firefox-ESR? This bothers me a LOT.

Chris

#9 Post by Chris »

Abormot- I now see that it was actually you who asked the question regarding Firefox-ESR, so I have correct my previous post.

kedaha

#10 Post by kedaha »

Having set up a Debian Freedombox home server, as I detailed in another topic, I've been trying searx. I think it's very nice not to be bombarded with advertising and other junk that usually gets served up, not to mention other disadvantages:
Search without being tracked.
Searx is a free internet metasearch engine which aggregates results from more than 70 search services. Users are neither tracked nor profiled. Additionally, searx can be used over Tor for online anonymity.
Further information at searx; it makes interesting reading.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

Abormot

#11 Post by Abormot »

Who can recommend e-mail client? I use now Thunderbird, but after Chris's words about Firefox I cn't trust Mozilla software anymore.

Segfault

#12 Post by Segfault »

I've used Claws Mail for many years, it does everything I want. Lightweight, too.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#13 Post by 4D696B65 »

Chris wrote:Firefox-ESR, after 5 hours of monitoring with iftop where nothing other than Debian-base, Xorg, JWM, iftop, Whois and Firefox and Firefox only with a blank page and all search engines removed in the setup, and nothing else has been started, then connects it by itself To Google and Amazon. When I then block the IP addresses as it connects to Google and Amazon in iptables then I will over 5 hours have blocked about 100 million Amazon IP addresses and many Google IP addresses, so I will not exactly call it trusted.
Not sure about the google addresses, the amazon addresses are amazon cloud services that mozilla hosts their stuff on. Nothing nefarious. Go to mozilla site, its all documented there.

Chris

#14 Post by Chris »

It's easy to avoid Firefox, probably the worst thing with Mozilla is that they also provide Server-sofware on many Web servers all around the world.
With regard to Mozilla, a few years ago, the chief programmer left the firm in protest at their course !!!

Debian should only be used if you know in advance what software is without spy-ware, which you can get an overview of that by studying a little of the content on these 3 links and so always monitor your Internet connection with ex. Iftop or similar programs:
https://www.gnu.org
https://libreplanet.org
https://www.fsf.org
As well as read some of Richard Stallman's articles on the web.

Chris

#15 Post by Chris »

I used Sylpheed email client for many years, which I am 100% satisfied with. Installed from Debian, is it set as standard to display messages only as plain text, which is perfect. If I get an email with attachment files, then I closes it again and opens it in Firejail, where I read the the content.

I hope my posts are to understand, since my English is not too good ?