Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

cd and dvd ?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
erichuff

cd and dvd ?

#1 Post by erichuff »

I have a 4 cd audiobook. I want to make a DVD that combines all 4 cds into one DVD.
I have pulled the audio out and combined them into one mp3.
the mp3 is 250megs.

I need to make some kind of blank m2v file to mplex the audio to.
How do I know how long to make the blank video?
what can I do to make the video low bitrate?
This is just to get around the constant switching out of the CDs in the car. The DVD player still plays the audio while I am driving just not the video.

thanks

phenest

Re: cd and dvd ?

#2 Post by phenest »

Rip the audio tracks using cdparanoia, then make a data DVD using those tracks. There is such a thing as an audio DVD, but I've never made one.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

nbemike

#3 Post by nbemike »

AFAIK Exact Audio Copy is still the best software for ripping audio. It works perfectly in Wine.

RU55EL

#4 Post by RU55EL »

Why in hell would you want to use Windows software with a Debian machine to rip audio?

Quoted from Exact Audio copy website:
It is free (for non-commercial purposes)
It works with a technology, which reads audio CDs almost perfectly. If there are any errors that can’t be corrected, it will tell you on which time position the (possible) distortion occurred, so you could easily control it with e.g. the media player
Quoted from cdparanoia website:
Cdparanoia extracts audio from compact discs directly as data, with no analog step between, and writes the data to a file or pipe in WAV, AIFC, AIFC or raw 16 bit linear PCM.
Cdparanoia is a bit different than most other CDDA extration tools. It contains few-to-no 'extra' features, concentrating only on the ripping process and knowing as much as possible about the hardware performing it. Cdparanoia will read correct, rock-solid audio data from inexpensive drives prone to misalignment, frame jitter and loss of streaming during atomic reads. Cdparanoia will also read and repair data from CDs that have been damaged in some way.

vmclark

#5 Post by vmclark »

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by CwF »

cdparanoia will read correct,.... Cdparanoia will also read and repair data from CDs that have been damaged in some way.
Exactly what I don't want.

I agree, EAC was the pinnacle.
It's a hardware question also. The test is simple, two rips from the same track should be identical. Lots of hardware does fuzzy correction, some software does, both bad. If there is an issue with the disk I'd rather the rip failed, telling me to polish the disk until I get a good reproducible rip. I haven't tried lately, but after scsi plextors and pioneers fell from favor, it seemed the commodity stuff no longer would fail, it would just fake it...probably doesn't matter much.

Zjho

#7 Post by Zjho »

Not sure why one wouldn't put 250mb mp3 file onto another rewritable 700mb cd ?

Fernando Negro

#8 Post by Fernando Negro »

Forget about CDs and DVDs...

They're already outdated, for private use (i.e. are not convenient for MP3 files, and other media). MP3 players and MicroSD cards are much more convenient (also for private copies, like the ones you describe).

If your car stereo doesn't have them, there are lots of new car stereos that nowadays come with SD card slots or USB ports.

Or, possibly even better - since, it allows you to listen to music outside of the car also, and sometimes to also use Free Firmware (https://www.rockbox.org/) on them - just buy a cheap car stereo, that has an AUX-IN port, and connect your MP3 player to it with a cable.

With an MP3 player and MicroSD cards, you can carry the equivalent of an enormous amount of CDs or DVDs on your pocket, or bag. And, only SD cards or USB pens, that you can connect to a car stereo with a corresponding slot or port, occupy even less space.
I just *love* the stability, much more bug-free nature, and modular installation options of Debian. Apart from the unfortunate adoption of "systemd" (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=129881&start=165#p671030) this distribution is *great*.

phenest

#9 Post by phenest »

Your solution requires the OP to buy another car stereo. That's a ridiculous answer.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D