Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Do you administer a Debian server as well as a desktop?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
kedaha

Do you administer a Debian server as well as a desktop?

#1 Post by kedaha »

Do you only run a Desktop_Environment or Window_manager or do you also run a Debian web server environment? If so, what sort of server? A web server? Nginx, Apache2? A mail server?
Thank you for any comments.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

trinidad

Re: Do you administer a Debian server as well as a desktop?

#2 Post by trinidad »

I run a Debian 9 LAMP server environment with a full LXDE desktop environment and SSH access with a website and a few virtual systems installed as well. I only access it with SSH, and only use it for business, i/e storing other businesses' application configurations, and allowing small collaborations for some application customizing. It's very useful to me when working from my laptop in somebody else's office.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

kedaha

#3 Post by kedaha »

trinidad wrote:I run a Debian 9 LAMP server environment with a full LXDE desktop environment...
Thanks for your reply.
I've never tried running a server on the same hardware as a desktop. I've had a dedicated remote server for a few years now but I'm considering substituting it with a home server to save the cost. At present, in addition to my desktop tower computer running on 192.168.0.12 I have a raspberry pi with Debian on 192.168.0.11 functioning as a "FreedomBox" server, which I'm very pleased with, as I described in a recent forum topic. Some advantages are:

1. Electricity consumption is kept to a bare minimum
2. For a domain, a free subdomain can be used if necessary
3. When the public IP changes, this is automatically updated using a little program called ez-ipupdate, "quite a complete client for most dynamic DNS services," again at no cost at all.

I'm not too keen on the Raspberry on account of a non-free proprietary "boot.bin" blob, which, while it may make Raspbian more compatible than Debian itself, makes normal, blob-free booting impossible. So I may use an old Acer Aspire One instead, which, like the rPi2 only has one giga of memory
DebianStable

$ vrms

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

For work, I run some servers - firewall/routers, web (Apache2 w/ drupal, joomla, wordpress, nextcloud and some other sites), mail (mostly dovecot/postfix) and samba for local sharing/backup at a few sites as well as a couple of VM hosts for some legacy win apps. Also a few workstations (with XFCE desktops).

For home, pretty much the same on a smaller scale, plus media storage/consumption.

All of the physical servers are just "desktop" hardware, mostly ex-lease desktops or retired workstations.

Being able to just drop the disks into a 'new' box from the storage cupboard and be back in business in minutes in case of hardware failure is priceless.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#5 Post by Bloom »

At home, I have eight Debian servers. They do not have a desktop environment. They run on standard desktop pc hardware. The OS is Debian Stable.
The eight servers are of these types:
1x "service server": web (LAMP), database (also mariadb), mpd proxy server, mailserver
2x LizardFS metadataserver
5x LizardFS chunkserver
Furthermore, there are about six desktop pcs and notebooks (one netbook) and they all run Debian Testing except for two desktop pc systems who run Debian Sid. The DE is always XFCE.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by None1975 »

I run Debian 10 with window manager.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

kedaha

#7 Post by kedaha »

Thanks dilberts_left_nut, Bloom & None1975 for replying.
dilberts_left_nut wrote:Being able to just drop the disks into a 'new' box from the storage cupboard and be back in business in minutes in case of hardware failure is priceless.
That is a very good tip; thanks.
Bloom wrote:At home, I have eight Debian servers. They do not have a desktop environment. They run on standard desktop pc hardware. The OS is Debian Stable.
To run eight servers, you must have a pretty good router.
Two disadvantages of my home router are:
1. Unlike my remote server, it has a dynamic IP address but this problem is solved as detailed in the wiki at here
2. It only allows placing one internal IP address, like 192.168.0.11, in the DMZ
I don't know yet if it's possible to get round this limitation.
Regarding the use of old desktop computers, I think this is a good idea but running a bunch of them must consume a fair amount of power so my ideal would be to use these supported devices.
DebianStable

$ vrms

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#8 Post by Bloom »

The eight servers are only for in-house use, so they are not avaible from the internet. They all use a separate subnet with static ip addresses and they have their own network switch with 16 ports, so they don't have to communicate with the router except when doing updates.