Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WG111v2 won't connect to wifi

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
HyperUniverse

WG111v2 won't connect to wifi

#1 Post by HyperUniverse »

Hi,

I have just installed Debian 10 on a small laptop, and after finishing the installation, the USB WIFI adapter won't connect to the router.

And the funny thing is that I have used the same adapter to install the operating system in the first place (installed it over the network).
Obviously it worked perfectly to download all the files needed for installation, but when finished and starting the laptop, it won't connect at all (it detects all the networks available ok, though).
Of course I have put the right password in.

What's next?

Thanks,
Regards.

ruwolf

Re: WG111v2 won't connect to wifi

#2 Post by ruwolf »

Probably it needs non-free driver.
Which device is it?

HyperUniverse

#3 Post by HyperUniverse »

Netgear WG111v2

ruwolf

#4 Post by ruwolf »

I have read you first post wrongly: You have written, that it see available networks.
So it works. (Driver is not problem: h-node.org: wifi: WG111v2 & wiki.debian.org: rtl818x.)
Have you tried

Code: Select all

rfkill
? Without arguments, it writes status of network devices, if they are (soft & hard) blocked or unblocked.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Are you using a USB adapter because there's a problem with getting the laptop's built-in adapter to work?

If so, ideally we could get them both working.
MX Linux packager and developer

HyperUniverse

#6 Post by HyperUniverse »

I got the internal built in wifi adapter to work ok
But sometimes when I am too far from the router, I get a weak signal (even dropping the connection),
And because I've got this USB adapter (Netgear WG111v2), I want to use just for poor signals (I remember from the past I got better signal with it)

Regards.